EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Trev

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Trev »

dave448 wrote:again... it wasn't about money ... sighhh :ohmy:
I agree it shouldn't have been but wasn't it made a huge thrust of the campaign or was the £350 odd million a week battle bus just figment of all of our imaginations?

Given that it wasn't/shouldn't have been about money, or at least economics, then that moves us back to the original, founding reason for the EU; to bring separate sovereign nations together in order to ensure that never again was there war in Europe. That alone should be reason enough for our great nation to be in the thick of Europe giving our experience, resource and clout to ensure an even safer, stronger Europe.
Africa John

EU. In or out?

Post by Africa John »

I buy mine online at Asda currently £1 = €1.17

:)
misterlaffer

EU. In or out?

Post by misterlaffer »

moto al wrote:
image_2016-07-13-2.jpeg
Didn't you do well .voting out. God help us ALL.
Och aye It'll all be allreet soon when wee Nicola gits a gooin and saves us al from the shite
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Unfortunately, or fortunately, sovereignty is almost as archaic a concept as empire. No one I have spoken to, who claims to have voted out for the sake of our 'sovereignty' seems to have a idea of what that actually means in the modern world and those who do have entirely different views. One thing that seems to be certain is that our sovereignty means that a referendum is not legally binding.
cheers Jak
ps I am the only one who can see the irony of making one of the chief architects of Brexit the new foreign secretary. Still I expect he will get on well with Donald Trump.
Africa John

EU. In or out?

Post by Africa John »

Tata have put the sale of their remaining British steelworks on hold. The Scunthorpe site was sold to Greybull Capital who have just announced 80 new jobs. Siemens (German btw) have confirmed they won't pull out of their new plant over the river in Hull.

Yep it's all shite och the noo!
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Africa John wrote:Tata have put the sale of their remaining British steelworks on hold. The Scunthorpe site was sold to Greybull Capital who have just announced 80 new jobs. Siemens (German btw) have confirmed they won't pull out of their new plant over the river in Hull.

Yep it's all shite och the noo!
Tata is good news, but 80 new jobs? Ha ha! That'll save the country. Not.

Siemens WON'T pull out, isn't that nice of them to employ all those people they were going to employ anyway? Had we voted to stay in or hadn't had the referendum at all they wouldn't have been pulling out either, so how is this good news?

Anyone can find the odd good news story, but that doesn't offset the hundreds of bad ones. The news websites don't have a section dedicated to "Brexit Fallout" for nothing.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Jak* wrote:ps I am the only one who can see the irony of making one of the chief architects of Brexit the new foreign secretary. Still I expect he will get on well with Donald Trump.
No, you're not the only one, but it's Theresa's attempt to stop the likes of this thread and re-unite the country. I'll take a hell of a lot more than Blow Job as foreign minister though.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mawnanian

Post by Mawnanian »

Jak* wrote: ps I am the only one who can see the irony of making one of the chief architects of Brexit the new foreign secretary. Still I expect he will get on well with Donald Trump.
Foreign sec is largely a PR job and Boris will be good at that. Also putting one or two prominent brexiteers in the front line means that if things don't go well they can't blame anyone but themselves. Plus she can claim she's being inclusive and uniting the party.
It's a smart move.
Africa John

EU. In or out?

Post by Africa John »

Can you want peace in Europe but not want rule by the EU commission and parliament? Why can't peace be through mutual support and cooperation rather than forced integration? Why does sovereignty have to be surrendered to achieve peace?
misterlaffer

EU. In or out?

Post by misterlaffer »

-Ralph- wrote:Well I was at a meeting today, where plans to create new jobs worth £17.5 million a year were ditched due to Brexit.
Nope, it was ditched because it wasn't a viable proposition that's all, and not being willing to negotiate.

Return to “THE PUB”