EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
AlanHolt

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by AlanHolt »

Am I understanding this correctly. Eastern europeans come to the UK looking for work and they are accused of taking your jobs. Companies build factories in eastern European countries providing jobs for eastern europeans, and thats wrong too?

The real problem is there are too many people on the planet, and with jobs becoming automated daily, the problem is only going to get worse, to the point that people will eventually start killing people who have a job so they can have it. So do we roll back the technology, pay more for things but have more people employed, or cheaper produce and more social unrest and migration?
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

[email protected] wrote:

I talked specifically about the employee tax (which the company doesn't pay, the individual does) and the contribution to the economy (eg taxis, office space, lunches, stationery etc etc) none of this impacted by any tax dodging the company does or doesn't do.

So what was your point?
Did you? I didnt get that from reading your post.
simonw

Post by simonw »

AlanHolt wrote:Am I understanding this correctly. <snip> Companies build factories in eastern European countries providing jobs for eastern europeans, and thats wrong too?
No, he said far East, not eastern European.
The real problem is there are too many people on the planet <snip>
There is an element of truth in this, although it is missing a qualification (i.e., "too many" for what?).
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

simonw wrote:
AlanHolt wrote:Am I understanding this correctly. <snip> Companies build factories in eastern European countries providing jobs for eastern europeans, and thats wrong too?
No, he said far East, not eastern European.
I wasn't quoting anyone in particular, but it had been mentioned earlier in the thread about the Peugeot factory moving to Eastern Europe, the Transit factory moving to Turkey, the Cadbury factory moving to Poland, Jaguar Landrover moving its factory to Slovakia. This not only lowers the price of the product, it creates jobs where they are needed.
simonw wrote:
AlanHolt wrote:The real problem is there are too many people on the planet <snip>
There is an element of truth in this, although it is missing a qualification (i.e., "too many" for what?).
Sorry, too many people for the number of jobs? Although there is demand for more workers for things like policing, cleaning the streets etc, there isn't the money available....apparently....unless we need to bomb a country so we can look for oil...
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Emf#53 wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:
Emf#53 wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:The mob have indeed spoken and British culture and identity have been reaffirmed for sure, which is what people wanted and if you're proud of that culture then you'll see that as a good thing. Britain should have its own culture and identity just like all the other countries around the world do.

BNP are the worst of British culture most would agree with that they are simply racist, UKIP are extreme in my opinion, wanting to curb immigration and close our borders down, many won't agree that is extreme, and I'm not suggesting that British people are all like that at all, but clearly the result shows than more than half do lean further that way than they do the other way, and clearly the English and Welsh lean further that way than the Scots or the Irish.

Seriously - do you really believe that over half the population have BNP leaning tendencies?

No, but I do believe you seem to need reading lessons.
What exactly are you implying about more than half of the British people then?
I'm not implying anything, I said it quite clearly. More than half the people in the UK lean in the same direction as UKIP. Their agenda is to exit the EU, 52% of people agree.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

[email protected] wrote:
Mac 60 wrote:Where is all this EU money. My home town is literally falling apart. All but one factory closed. High unemployment. Whole streets derelict. Roads potholed and crumbling. Shops boarded up and in an attempt to cover it up by the council tarps stretched over them and painted to resemble thriving businesses to the casual observer. A town that I remember as a younger coming home on leave to which was thriving now an empty shell. I fear it's beyond recovery but I know this much whatever we have been doing this last 20 years hasent been working and we need to desperately try something else.
Good idea, let's try wrecking the economy and send a lot of multinational companies running out of the UK taking their highly paid jobs (and the income tax plus general spending) out of the UK. That's going to help.
Nope, I've reread my post several times and can't find any mention of the measures you suggest. Hopefully you misread my post or mixed it up with someone else because failing that then you must rank among the most sanctimonious men I've ever had the misfortune to cross.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

ScottT wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I talked specifically about the employee tax (which the company doesn't pay, the individual does) and the contribution to the economy (eg taxis, office space, lunches, stationery etc etc) none of this impacted by any tax dodging the company does or doesn't do.

So what was your point?
Did you? I didnt get that from reading your post.
So you deliberately cut the original quote which mentioned income tax to give this response?
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Mac 60 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Mac 60 wrote:Where is all this EU money. My home town is literally falling apart. All but one factory closed. High unemployment. Whole streets derelict. Roads potholed and crumbling. Shops boarded up and in an attempt to cover it up by the council tarps stretched over them and painted to resemble thriving businesses to the casual observer. A town that I remember as a younger coming home on leave to which was thriving now an empty shell. I fear it's beyond recovery but I know this much whatever we have been doing this last 20 years hasent been working and we need to desperately try something else.
Good idea, let's try wrecking the economy and send a lot of multinational companies running out of the UK taking their highly paid jobs (and the income tax plus general spending) out of the UK. That's going to help.
Nope, I've reread my post several times and can't find any mention of the measures you suggest. Hopefully you misread my post or mixed it up with someone else because failing that then you must rank among the most sanctimonious men I've ever had the misfortune to cross.
You are using the state of your home town to argue for exiting the EU, at least I presume this based on the fact you mentioned it in this thread.

If that is the case then I stand by what I said. If not then I don't know why you mention it here.

In either case I'm not sure why you use the word sanctimonious and would suggest that you are over reacting a little.
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

Unfortunately one of the main reasons factories moved to the poorer EU countries was the fact that the EU provided the money for those factories to be built therefore subsidising the movement of jobs outside of Great Britain, so thank the EU for that. I happen to like the Polish, very much like ourselves and good workers etc but many of them are unhappy about the EU as they have had vast rises in the cost of living / housing, in Poland, in recent years due to the EU so they can't even claim that as a success. On a separate note I like how the Remain vote in Scotland is seen as a measure of how tolerant the Scots are :laugh: What a joke ! They hate the English for a start (seen that on plenty of occasions and witnessed it from Scottish managers at work many times) and even dislike each other due to Religious differences (Rangers / Celtic....no blue biro's allowed in the office in case it upsets someone !). Maybe now the oil is worthless they expect plenty of EU hand outs, well good luck with that, I doubt you would get a foot in the door in the current era. As for having Jimmy Krankie calling the shots that's as bad as Farage, pathetic, and she divides the "nation" more than anybody.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

before I voted I spoke to a lot of people, some of the things I discussed was the free movement of the young from this country having the right to go and work in the EU, I would then asked if that person was happy with the level unemployment of the young in the EU, and were they happy for a Brit to potentially travel abroad and take someone else's job, just like a lot of people are not happy about people coming here to take jobs.
I would than ask if people were happy with the way the Greek were being treated and what would they like done about the current situation.
I would also asked if they had looked at the growth of the right wing in the EU countries
I asked them if they were happy with the idea of a federal Europe
these are just some of the things discussed a lot of questions I asked I could not get an answer to

a lot of these questions no one to date has given me the answer to, so rather than keep going blindly on I voted for a change and with a view of the generations to come, hopefully the shock has been big enough to wake a few people up.

When I watch a MP on the telly I listen to what they are saying and I listen to what they are not saying and I watch their body language

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “THE PUB”