EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by SteveW »

In my industry.....Industrial Door Manufacture and Installation. Imported products from Spain, Italy, France and Germany have dominated the British market.
Okay these products need installation and enviably maintenance and repair so we keep busy. We have the technical ability to produce our own home designed products, but cheap European imports have stifled this.....its just been easier to buy from mainland Europe.
So I would expect the cost of these imported products to rise, which I think is no bad thing, I can see us upping our manufacturing arm to a level it was 10-15 years ago, which will create new jobs.
Anyone remember "Buy British"?
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Loggy wrote:
Dutchgit wrote:What about British expats ? Are they allowed to vote by you ? Or should they have given up being Brits ? And all those people like Ralph's wife and the like, you know, the ones that keep up part of the British economy, have British born children who they'd like to have a good future ?
You live in a very narrow world Loggy.
If I lived in France for 10 years and didn't bother to take Duel Nationality or Citizenship, then no I wouldn't expect to vote. But I don't live in France I live in the UK. It's nothing to do with narrow mindedness it's about DEMOCRACY... You have a vote and abide by the decision. You can't keep having votes in the hope of getting the decision YOU want.
That's true, unless of course that the majority voted on the basis of misinformation and actual lies. That is called fraud.
Alban

Post by Alban »

Jak* wrote:I don't suppose it would do any good, but if they catch these scum they ought to take them to the Polish War cemetery which I think is just off the A14 and remind them how many pilots that fought in the Battle of Britain were Polish. We might have had to have a different kind of Brexit if we had lost that one.
Good idea Jak! The ignorant are only so until they are educated. I include myself there of course; We are all ignorant about so many things, we just need to listen which is what our 'betters' (snigger) failed to do.
If memory serves me well, the Polish B of B pilots had the highest confirmed hit rate of all.
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

-Ralph- wrote:
There's a lot of racists in the UK, most of whom deny it to themselves and haven't come out of the closet yet.

I agree, but there are a lot of people who brand everyone else a racist simply because they want to put their country and it's people first.
It's getting like the McCarthy era, had internet forums been around then anyone who spoke out would had been branded a 'commie'

Complain when a British soldier is homeless but we can find homes for Romanians and your branded a racist.
Complain your local supermarket only sells halal meat and your a racist.
Ask for islamic protestors (who are threatening our way of life) to be deported and your a racist.
Fly the St George cross and your a racist.
Vote to get out the EU and your a racist.

What next, perhaps everyone who has a BMW or wears Boss clothing is a Nazi.
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

Jak* wrote:The fact that the news is now reporting a number of racist incidents in the wake of the referendum just adds to the doom and gloom.
Hadn't read about this but if true and the rasicts think they now have a free hand they are very much mistaken. I may have voted out because I believe the EU to be bad but I will not allow something akin to the Nazi brown shirts to start up here.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Jak* wrote:That if we voted to leave Cameron would have to resign, Farage would back track on the claims that he had made, it was likely that many Labour MPs would seek to get rid of Corbyn, the economy at least in the short term would be in turmoil, the pound and the Euro would fall against the dollar and other economies, Europe would be in a position to demand terms including the free movement of people if we wanted to stay trading with it, there would almost certainly be job losses, it was likely that house prices would fall(this to a colleague who was going to view a house last Tuesday, Gibralter's position would be perilous, Scotland would be likely to call for a vote to leave the UK and that no one in the Leave campaign team seemed to have a concrete plan for what to do next.
None of those were my predictions, they were based on what I had read and heard. What I got wrong unfortunately was the outcome otherwise I could have made a bit of money down the bookies. Whilst I would have expected London and Scotland to pretty much vote the way they did I was surprised by the midlands where there is quite a lot of jobs now at risk. Until a week or two ago when I went to a rally in Yorkshire and saw how many leave signs there were I would have expected most rural communities to vote to stay in because of the large sums of money they get from the CAP. The number of pensioners who voted out was a bit surprising as well.
As I said none of this makes me feel any happier now.
Cheers Jak
I reckon I'd have got all those predictions bang on apart from Gibraltar and if I'm honest that should belong to Spain anyway. We would be apoplectic with rage if the Spanish ruled the Isle of Wight and it's not even joined to mainland Britain unlike Gibraltar which is joined to Spain.
IainD

Post by IainD »

daytona-supersport wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dependence

I still don't understand why the UK government allow Scottish MPs to vote on issues that do not affect Scotland. Especially when the Scots have their own parliament in which English, Welsh and Irish MPs have no powers.
The Guardian article is not particularly in depth, but it does give a brief current outline of the issue another Scottish independence referendum.
Why were the rest of the UK denied a vote on the issue of Scottish independence? Perhaps if this had been the case, there would not be any question of a second referendum.
There were supposed to be regional parliaments for England, however it appeared that they weren't wanted.

So, instead of Westminster being a place where all UK wide decisions are made it doubles up as an English Parliament.

With the legislators being too stupid to come up with a method of separating the issues, the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish MP's get to vote on English Matters.

Don't blame the Scots for the UK Parliaments shortcomings, they have had umpteen years to sort it out, but have failed.
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

Jak* wrote: We might have had to have a different kind of Brexit if we had lost that one.
Yes we would have ended up with Europe being one country, we would be ruled by people we never elected, all the rules that govern our day to day life would have been decided by people outside the UK, This is why the majority of our elder generation voted out, they remember that period of our life, they lost friends, parents & grandparents, they fought against that happening then, there was no way they were ever going to vote for it now.

At work i speak to a lot of people aged 70+ and nearly all of them mentioned that when ever Brexit was discussed.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

moto al wrote:May I say. Without ridicule . WHAT a Friggin MESS this country has walked it's way into . MAD. ....?????!!!!!!
Bang on the money Al...!
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

Come on gents get your priorities right.....Does this mean we cannot enter the Eurovision Song Contest :ohmy:

Return to “THE PUB”