EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
misterlaffer

EU. In or out?

Post by misterlaffer »

Out because:
1. Lack of clear and decisive representation for my country.
2. Being told its a once in a lifetime chance once we are out we have to stay out. Bullshit this implies I am being dictated to and patronised because I and everyone else knows if the EU could gain from the UK rejoining after careful re-negotiation it bloody well would.
3. Uncontrolled immigration while a nice idea has security implications that outweigh the financial benefits.
xtzrick

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by xtzrick »

[email protected] wrote:Additionally, if there are all those countries out there to trade with... why aren't we trading with them now? Really, what's stopping us?
We do trade with them but we rely on a one size fits all tariff.
[email protected] wrote:I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference.
Glad you agree, so why pay the EU politicians & bureaucrats?

Rick
xtzrick

Post by xtzrick »

[email protected] wrote:Absolutely, the anti-immigrant stance taken by many politicians either directly or in a more covert way has normalised feelings that many had felt should be suppressed.
All the arguments I've seen have been about controlled immigration not anti & your statement about suppression is oppression.

If people feel they can't talk about their concerns how can you correct them? mentally ill or so called sane!

Rick
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

xtzrick wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Additionally, if there are all those countries out there to trade with... why aren't we trading with them now? Really, what's stopping us?
We do trade with them but we rely on a one size fits all tariff.
[email protected] wrote:I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference.
Glad you agree, so why pay the EU politicians & bureaucrats?

Rick
The 'agreement' was that outside of the EU I don't believe we will be able to trade more effectively with other countries. If we could surely people would have told us how during the campaign- no details just an aspiration.

And... if the cost of entering this 'golden opportunity' (but with no details) is putting at risk our existing trade with the EU ( a market of almost a quarter of the global market by GDP; a close second to the US!) especially when it's close to half of our current exports then I don't think it's a risk worth taking.

IN (and voted weeks ago!)
[email protected]

xtzrick wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Absolutely, the anti-immigrant stance taken by many politicians either directly or in a more covert way has normalised feelings that many had felt should be suppressed.
All the arguments I've seen have been about controlled immigration not anti & your statement about suppression is oppression.

If people feel they can't talk about their concerns how can you correct them? mentally ill or so called sane!

Rick
Look at the Farage poster, do you really call that 'controlled immigration'? 'breaking point' implies no room at all for anyone else.

I'm more than happy to 'oppress' people from behaving inappropriately; it's what all of our laws do- I'm oppressed on a daily basis when I ride my bike in an area with 20mph speed limits that used to be 30. Oppression of people who want to use racist terms, view immigrants as 'scum' etc. etc. etc. is sadly necessary to live in a decent society (much more so than speed limits in pointless places...)
Nothing is wrong with people expressing their concerns, a lot is wrong if they are made to feel that racism is acceptable and, even worse, that we are under some form of 'attack from Islam' and I firmly believe that's what Farage&Co have let out of the bag.
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Ladies and gentlemen,

Whatever you may vote for and whatever the outcome may be, I wish you good luck and godspeed.

Cheers, Ard
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Dutchgit wrote:Ladies and gentlemen,

Whatever you may vote for and whatever the outcome may be, I wish you good luck and godspeed.

Cheers, Ard
"godspeed" - sounds like you're saying goodbye Ard! :whistle:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
[email protected]

For those that 'do' twitter, there are an interesting set of polls from the Britain Elects account (from You Gov)

Copied below:

Britain would be economically (X) if we left the EU:
Better off: 23%
Worse off: 40%
No different: 22%

Britain would have (X) influence in the world if we left the EU:
More: 16%
Less: 38%
No different: 34%

It would be (X) for jobs if Britain left the EU:
Good: 22%
Bad: 36%
No different: 27%

Britain would be (X) at risk from terrorism if we left the EU:
More: 17%
Less: 19%
No different: 51%

House prices would be (X) if Britain left the EU than stayed:
Higher: 11%
Lower: 16%
No different: 45%

It would be (X) for the NHS if Britain left the EU:
Good: 35%
Bad: 24%
No different: 26%

There would be (X) immigration into Britain if we left the EU:
More: 3%
Less: 53%
No different: 33%

It would be (X) for pensions if Britain left the EU:
Good: 8%
Bad: 25%
No different: 40%

You personally would be financially (X) if Britain left the EU:
Better off: 10%
Worse off: 29%
No different: 44%

Interesting.

It really could go either way, but I'm hopeful. And I think I've said enough for all to know what I'm hoping for!

(And I cracked and reduced my holiday by a day to get back for an all-night TV session... hope to be home for 10:30...)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Simon the rise of the right wing is scaring me and as you know me I don't scare easy. The way the EU is at the moment is only allowing and even generating the rise, the right rose before but to discontent and immigrants were blame in some part and were dealt with somewhat harshly.

People say the EU keeps us safe and has stopped wars in Europe but it may well be the start of the 3rd world war if things don't change Cameron may of well been right about a war but for the wrong reasons.

The right is growing throughout Europe and it's a very bad thing which seems not to be on the horizon for most people

Tea now drunk and off to vote

good luck all

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
misterlaffer

EU. In or out?

Post by misterlaffer »

Queuing round the block at my polling station at 7.10 ( daughters proxy vote away at Uni'). Looks like a good turnout, better than usual.

Return to “THE PUB”