125 Insurance for 17 year olds..???

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Stray Dog

Re: 125 Insurance for 17 year olds..???

Post by Stray Dog »

-Ralph- wrote:
herman wrote:Consider a 110...a fair bit cheaper.
Can you still get those?
Yup. Honda do a 110cc, Yamaha do a 115cc
Don't expect insurance to be cheaper though.
My wife just got a yam 115 and the insurance was £97 fully comp
Cheap you say !!! Her Harley Sportster was only £75 fully comp....Go figure.

Dog
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Adding experienced drivers certainly makes a difference for new drivers in cars so it's got to be worth trying with a bike policy as well.

Every time the cost of insurance for young riders & drivers comes up I look back at how much my insurance was when I was 17 and it was more than 4 weeks take home pay with the bike garaged in a low risk area. Is it really a lot more than that now?

If the driver or rider isn't working then bad luck, walk, cycle or get the bus (thumbs)
I was told by my parents that if I wanted my own transport I needed to be working and I also knew I'd got 12 months to save for the insurance :)
flipflopdog

Post by flipflopdog »

Thanks for the input gents, gonna try adding myself later on see if that brings it down and someone mentioned going fully comp as it bought their premium down, no evidence of that quite the opposite so far. Someone also mentioned work/jobs to pay their way etc etc..... All I can say there is the youth of today isn't what we were back then, oh no...!! My lad is in full time education stuck out on a limb location wise and needs a shuv and help from his old man so that's it....

Insurance is an arse but we unfortunately need it, 'suck it up, pay up and shut up' is the corporate message from the Big guns...!!!

Conclusion to follow....
bowber

Post by bowber »

AndyB wrote:Adding experienced drivers certainly makes a difference for new drivers in cars so it's got to be worth trying with a bike policy as well.

Every time the cost of insurance for young riders & drivers comes up I look back at how much my insurance was when I was 17 and it was more than 4 weeks take home pay with the bike garaged in a low risk area. Is it really a lot more than that now?
I was thinking the same recently too, I paid around £130 year TPFT on an MTX125 (brand new on HP) and I was earning £50 week and giving more than half to my mum for board. Recently my son paid around £350 fully comp on a CBF125 so less than double and I know wages have more than doubled since I was 17.

Steve
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

Try getting a quote with yourself as a named driver, it bought down our Trace's insurance by 10% and she still gets the NCB, did the same with both my daughters cars, same thing about 10% less.
Or if you want to risk it the other way with you as the main and son as the named.
flipflopdog

Post by flipflopdog »

Eeeeeeee flippin ekk, a tell thee what, what a mine field this insurance malarki is..!!

What is required when sorting insurance out is too check out peoples reviews on the companies and don't just read the odd couple go through the lot, it pays dividends. I've dismissed the first 5 cheapest options and gone with Lexham's but what is more alarming is the excess ALL companies impose on first time riders and there bikes..!! Basically if you get it stolen or written off you get shite all back from your company if it a £1000 jobbie 125...!!!
I really feel for the young uns these days, we had it simple and straight forward back in the late 70's & early 80's.. AP50/Fizzie then GT/RD/Superdream 250's then on to a 750...!!!
Stray Dog

Post by Stray Dog »

flipflopdog wrote:Eeeeeeee flippin ekk, a tell thee what, what a mine field this insurance malarki is..!!

LOL, tell me about it.... :angry:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Mez

My lad, now 19, used Wicked Quotes for his 50cc and 125 policy cover and built up a bit of NCB to boot! They were substantially cheaper than all of the big names we found.

No idea on how they behave after a claim, but that is the same with ANY Insurer!
flipflopdog

Post by flipflopdog »

No idea on how they behave after a claim, but that is the same with ANY Insurer![/quote]

That's good to note but I went with the reviews because I know what lurks awaiting on dem dare roads but cheers anyhow..

Return to “THE PUB”