You've got to love EBay !

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
BrynS

Re: You've got to love EBay !

Post by BrynS »

My one and only experience of Gumtree was helping a mate advertise his ER6, as he was completely useless around the internet.....

only 'interest' was the guy who works offshore, but buying the bike for his son as a surprise gift, and he would pay in full and send a courier to pick it up .....

So I said , 'no problem, send the courier with the cash, and once I have the cash in my hand he can take the bike'

He replied, 'the courier doesn't deal with cash'

Took another 3 or 4 exchanges before I got him to stop bothering me :pinch:
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

My Wife sells a ton of stuff through E-Bay - you have to get the listing/category correct and even then you will end up with the odd Bozo. E-Bay always favour the buyer not the seller and will always instruct a refund however well you have listed the item. If the buyer isn't happy then e-bay get involved and force a refund regardless. I've never understood why anyone would ever want to buy a vehicle this way though - asking for trouble. If it's too much of good deal, it usually is :laugh: !
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

I don't normally have too many problem on ebay; apart from the pointless and stupid questions. It doesn't seem to matter how detailed the description and how many pictures you put up.

I sold my old Suzuki Jeep and listed it as a bit of a shed. Pictures showed all the rot and holes, and I listed all the faults that would need rectifying in order to get an MoT. I suggested that it would make a great farm/shoot vehicle as is or a base for an off-road project but that it would be unlikely to be worth trying to save as a road vehicle.

The bloke that won it came with an "Expert" mate, had a look round, paid the money and took it away on an A-frame. It went for about the right money and I was happy. A week later I get the chap ranting down the phone that I'd conned him and sold him a wreck. He'd took it for an MoT and it failed on loads of things (about the same things I had noted in the listing). He wanted his money back and some compensation for his time wasted and if I didn't he was going to get his solicitor involved.
AlanQ

Post by AlanQ »

Charlie the Bikemonger wrote:My business grew up on eBay, I have around 17000 feedbacks, I was turning over about about £4000 a week. But we now do zero business on eBay.
Hi Charlie, Have you found other channels that work better or is all internet business through your own website now? (nice site btw (thumbs) )
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

I always sell my bikes on ebay....but only via classified advert, I just use ebay to reach the biggest online audience - there is no comeback from paypal or ebay via a classified ad, its just a straightforward private sale, it cost @ £15 for a month and I've never had a problem, bikes have almost always sold within a week

Just my tuppence worth
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

+1 for Ebay classified adverts, they've always worked well for me both for selling and buying. In the last few years I've sold 3 bikes and 1 car, and I've bought 1 bike and 1 car (thumbs).
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Scott_rider wrote:+1 for Ebay classified adverts, they've always worked well for me both for selling and buying. In the last few years I've sold 3 bikes and 1 car, and I've bought 1 bike and 1 car (thumbs).
Yep, e-bay classified ads have worked well for me, too. Sold 3 bikes over the last few years, all to nice people who have paid cash on collection. One even insisted on paying a deposit before viewing. I wouldn't sell by auction, though, at least not the on-line sort. So, I agree with the OP's thread title!
Lancstony

Post by Lancstony »

I've just been selling a load of pedal bikes I owned to raise funds for my new motorbike and the hassle I had was ridiculous, it was my first time using Ebay so wasnt sure what to expect and eventually everything did go but I had numerous people saying they wanted me to delete the listing and they will come and pick the bike up tomorrow etc but that never happened, people trying to barter me down to ridiculous prices on stuff I was selling, asking crazy questions which had already been answered in my advert, was very annoying.

Had a guy offer to meet me on the motorway to collect my bike as well and he seemed surprised when I said no thanks!!

But then in saying that the people who actually bought everything were really nice and genuine, think its just a case of shifting through the rubbish and the genuine ones will eventually come though.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Never sold anything on ebay (probably never will), but have bought loads.

It's a great resource for stuff that I'd have to hunt around for, sheets of ally/steel, nuts and bolts.. various tools etc.. all reasonably priced and mostly free p&p.

I always check their ratings/feedback, and rarely buy stuff outside the UK.
bimota

Post by bimota »

jonesthesteam wrote:I always sell my bikes on ebay....but only via classified advert, I just use ebay to reach the biggest online audience - there is no comeback from paypal or ebay via a classified ad, its just a straightforward private sale, it cost @ £15 for a month and I've never had a problem, bikes have almost always sold within a week

Just my tuppence worth
+1

SOLD 5 bikes 2 cars with ebay classified £15 no problems at all.

Return to “THE PUB”