Riding with empty panniers.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
steve_h80

Re: Riding with empty panniers.

Post by steve_h80 »

Boxes and rails for loaded trips only. Besides the fatty bit they also up the fuel guzzling.
Top box all the time. It's convenient and the S10 don't seem to go fast enough for it to bring on the wobbles.
jaffa1963

Post by jaffa1963 »

Old Git Ray wrote:Image....every time.

How else are they going to see my plethora of stickers and get jealous as to where I've been. :whistle:
Don't you just buy the stickers off ebay like the rest of us lol?
Steve

jaffa1963

Triumph Tiger 800 XCX

BMW F650
phillh

Post by phillh »

I had BMW cases on my old GSA and found that we did go away, I ended up
carrying everyone else's old tat.

With my new bike, I didn't order the boxes and will just use my old Oxford soft sports panniers.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Never found the day to day need to carry anything that didn't fit in my 52 litre top box. Panniers on a Tiger Sport make it almost as wide as a supermini car. I hate being stuck in traffic on a bike so much, that I'll even squeeze all my gear into the topbox for weekends away on the continent, in case I get traffic on the M25 going to and from the ferry.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Old Git Ray wrote:Image....every time.

How else are they going to see my plethora of stickers and get jealous as to where I've been. :whistle:
(thumbs)
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

Mine stay on. I don't use my bike for just 'rides out' I use my bike for transport, going to work, going to the shops, you know, transport.

It would be like taking the boot off your car. Why would you? You might want to put something in it.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

tuftywhite wrote:Mine stay on. I don't use my bike for just 'rides out' I use my bike for transport, going to work, going to the shops, you know, transport.

It would be like taking the boot off your car. Why would you? You might want to put something in it.
Topbox? For me making the bike wider removes all the benefit in using a bike for transport.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

why have panniers ?????? you get stuck in traffic, and cant filter !!!!!!!top box and tank bag, yahoo way to go
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I had the Holy Trinity, Top Box and a pair of panniers on my GSA. The bike came with them from new. I only think I put the panniers once, for a trip to Bulgaria.
I used to load my bike up with all kinds of crap, packing is defiantly an aquired skill.
Here's my bike from a few years ago, over packed at the start of a two week European trip.
image_2016-01-03.jpeg
image_2016-01-03.jpeg (64.21 KiB) Viewed 655 times
I was carrying that much crap, I couldn't find half the stuff I actually needed.
I've done a few trips with a few ex military lads, they seem to have it nailed. These days I really try to cut down on excessive baggage, one of the problems I have with panniers is....if I've got spare space I have an inclination to fill it with tat.
These days it quality not quantity for trips.
BrynS

Post by BrynS »

Having panniers fitted has never stopped me filtering..... yes... you need to be aware of the extra width at the back, but it would only be an issue if the boxes were wider than the bars :unsure:

Return to “THE PUB”