camper vans at bike rally ????

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tinytots

Re: camper vans at bike rally ????

Post by Tinytots »

I see both sides to this, I'm in Northern Ireland and if I'm going to a bike rally with very minimal off roading I'll ride my Varadero and hostel or bunkhouse, however if it's full on green laning, then I'll bring my KLR 650, with off road tyres, lifted suspension, different gearing and vibration at 50 mph that would dislodge your eyeballs, this would have to come in my van.
If it helps my van is bloody freezing, stinks of oil, petrol, farts and has no where to dry my shit. I would also bring my van for the amount of tools I need to keep my 1988 KLR running.
I have a blue badge, but don't use it as an excuse to stay in my van, I love camping, but unfortunately my internal organs and spine don't. I have to chose between sleeping in a tent or riding my bike the next day, body won't do both. I still want to sit round the fire and hear the craic and listen to the drunks talking like washing machines, it's awesome. Unfortunately I just need a bed-ish sort of thing to sleep in.
peterpan241

Post by peterpan241 »

CRAIGREVO wrote:Again, where in this thread did anyone suggest John should change his rally?

John asked people their thoughts on camper vans at rallys

If the question had been "Do you think my decision to not allow this guy to come with his camper was correct" The overwhelming answer would have been yes 100% its your rally your rules.
You are quite correct, I was going off on a tangent trying to quantify my response.

camper vans at a bike rally? NO
Adventure before Dementia
markoh

Post by markoh »

Generally I think bike rallies should be attended on a bike. Obviously there are exceptions. However maybe there is room for an 'Any Vehicle Rally' now and again. I enjoy the banter as much as anything, and would love an occasional weekend for that reason alone. There are certainly some months with not a lot going on. January is free, any takers?
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

And there was me thinking that this was an open minded forum, where people are welcomed no matter what their chosen mode of transport is.
But instead I find it to be discriminatory, shame on you.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
special one

Post by special one »

CRAIGREVO wrote: I ride all year in harsh conditions offroad for fun, but I don't like camping does that make me less of a hardy rider? :huh:
No, it makes you a big bender :laugh:
You love camping, you just don't like to admit it
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Roy C.

Post by Roy C. »

On the subject of motorcycles only I hope none of you turn up at the Cafe or Pub and park your bikes in the Car park :evil:
devon john

Post by devon john »

markoh wrote:. January is free, any takers?
yes there is Markoh we will talk the weekend

john
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

How boring if we where all the same.
My personal bag is off-road as much as possible, on as light a bike as is possible.
So it's always van plus bike for me. I can carry a range of kit to suit the conditions and I don't have to potentially ride home in pissed-through kit. Also, It's so much more efficient to sleep in the back of the van as well.
But, I know other folk ain't like me. So I respect that.
Good on you John, you do the all hard work and organise the rallies, you should call the shots.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

I think the trouble is that this forum tries to be both an Adventure Bike Riding forum and an off-road riding forum. While there is a crossover IMHO they two are distinct disciplines, as evidenced by the difficulty DJ is having with his rally by trying to define what he expects from attendees.

If its an adventure bike rider's rally then its reasonable to expect people to ride their adventure bikes there and to either camp or use the bunk houses if available. If its a rally/meet-up and off road run where little bikes are expected or required for the off road event then its just as reasonable to expect people to turn up in vans or with bikes on trailers and if its a camper van to sleep in their van.

Sure you can do both - as I said there's a crossover.

Me, I have got a 1200 GSA and will only take it down the easiest of gravel roads, every meet is a adventure bike rider's rally to me and I will always come on my bike. I also come on this forum for the Adventure Bike and Adventure rides bit, not the off-road stuff.

(and don't jump in with the argument about what is an adventure bike (lets just go with the way the bikes are marketed), or what constitutes an adventure (let just go with anything that tests your personal boundaries). Both these have been done to death loads of times and we all disagree).
KtmRy

Post by KtmRy »

devon john wrote:
if you look back at my first post ,,,,,,, if your off roading trailering a bike IS acceptable.

i know there are a few coming to the events for the off road and have to be trailer there bikes,, i can except that no problem
john
I do not understand, so car and trailers are ok but not vans or motorhomes? so its not about how you get there its actually about what you sleep in? The only reason i ask is because i personally save my big/ish adventure bike for trips and not weekend meets, i prefer to stick my 300 enduro in the back of the van (as i go to these meets mainly for the off road ride) and sleep in that so im just trying to figure out where im not welcome.

Return to “THE PUB”