EUROPE ~ Scrap SCHENGEN & reintroduce Border Controls

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
johnnyboxer

EUROPE ~ Scrap SCHENGEN & reintroduce Border Controls

Post by johnnyboxer »

With the free movement of terrorists to & fro, throughout continental Europe, it is apparent that Border Controls need to be re-introduced to control everybody moving from country to country

With the current free Borders, they can bomb Paris and be in Belgium/Holland or Germany in under 3 hours

2016 and Passport Control will be brought back, I reckon
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Scott_rider

Re: EUROPE ~ Scrap SCHENGEN & reintroduce Border Controls

Post by Scott_rider »

Good, I hope so (thumbs)
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I can't see it happening because freedom of movement is one of the basic principles of the EU and on top of that it'd be near enough impossible to implement.

Are countries across Europe supposed to erect secure fences along every border, close roads that aren't going to have border control posts and then deal with the 10 mile queues leading to the major border crossings?
Famous

Post by Famous »

Yeah right on

Donald Trump for European president
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

AndyB wrote:I can't see it happening because freedom of movement is one of the basic principles of the EU and on top of that it'd be near enough impossible to implement.

Are countries across Europe supposed to erect secure fences along every border, close roads that aren't going to have border control posts and then deal with the 10 mile queues leading to the major border crossings?
It worked before, the Border Posts are still there, lick of paint and open up

I reckon it'll be back soon - anymore bomb/suicide attacks and they'll bring it back

If you can bomb Paris at lunchtime, then be in Bruxelles for afternoon tea - how else will they stop these murdering bastards, without Border checks??

With money we don't have

AndyB

Post by AndyB »

johnnyboxer wrote:
AndyB wrote:I can't see it happening because freedom of movement is one of the basic principles of the EU and on top of that it'd be near enough impossible to implement.

It worked before, the Border Posts are still there, lick of paint and open up

I reckon it'll be back soon - anymore bomb/suicide attacks and they'll bring it back

If you can bomb Paris at lunchtime, then be in Bruxelles for afternoon tea - how else will they stop these murdering bastards, without Border checks??
The main ones are there on motorways and major routes but have you ridden around the Ardennes region recently? Loads of tiny little back roads that will either have to have 10' ditches or concrete barriers put across them to close them because they certainly won't be manned all the time.

There's also those nice little lanes that some of us like to explore and ride along but they won't be used by terrorists will they? :pinch:
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Put the barriers up, good slogan (thumbs)

With money we don't have

picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

We're used to it as it seems ours never fell.
Won't stop the home grown variety :ohmy:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Mawnanian

Post by Mawnanian »

It's tempting on the every little helps principle and to 'send the right message' to the masses, which seems to be important in politics these days but I doubt if it would do much to prevent terrorist attacks.
The borders were pretty porous before schengen once you got off the main roads and I doubt if those who carried out the recent attacks would have been put off just because they couldn't get home by tea time. After all the expectation was that it was a one way trip. However the main reason why I think it's unlikely is that businesses would lose money, which as you know trumps any other consideration these days.
I am, however, grateful we're not in schengen and as an island our borders can be made relatively secure.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I like living on an island where we don't have to worry too much about how secure our borders are but I'm also a selfish bastard who enjoys the freedom of movement we enjoy when over in mainland Europe.

I can see the justification in tightening border controls but I fear all that will happen is that the honest travellers will have to take the changes on the chin and anyone who wants to avoid them will do so.

Random road blocks would do the job just as well and because they're unexpected they're not so easy to avoid. Increase the level of information contained on biometric passports and bring in a Europe wide ID card system much the same as that nice little pink driving licence then equip all policemen with a card reader that instantly flags up any problems.

No, I don't like any infringement on my civil liberties but even I've got to accept that the World is changing and we need to keep up with it.

Return to “THE PUB”