ABR sticker seen in facebook rant by Dez

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
V_King

Re: ABR sticker seen in facebook rant by Dez

Post by V_King »

maybe it is a place for a different post, but those hid lights every knob is using is usually mounted in the same blody level as car mirrors, shining directly into the eyes for the driver in front :angry: and I don't care about the leality excuse. it is no different to chavs using xenons in the standard headlights :angry:
""
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

felco wrote:I really can't get a grip on this Facebook thing, why do people post such shite, it's life, this forum is my only form of communication other than email and text and actually talking to folk( perish the thought) , why would you post such
shit, btw am off for a shit, then am having my dinner, then a beer, and probably (hopefully) a shag.
Brilliant Felco, my thoughts exactly. A woman I used to work with used to have arguments with her future husband on facetwat and then show me and ask me to comment :huh:
one-legged adventurer
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

V_King wrote:maybe it is a place for a different post, but those hid lights every knob is using is usually mounted in the same blody level as car mirrors, shining directly into the eyes for the driver in front :angry: and I don't care about the leality excuse. it is no different to chavs using xenons in the standard headlights :angry:
Exactly - HID & spots are the curse of the Adventure bike rider, every Feckers got some ~ even if they never ride in the dark

When I'm in the car, you get dazzled & they piss you off big style

It's a craze - part of the kit that every Adv biker thinks they should have
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

01051917.JPG
01051917.JPG (114.03 KiB) Viewed 933 times

You can never be too visible or have enough rear visibility... Don't matter about being able to see in front
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

johnnyboxer wrote:
V_King wrote:maybe it is a place for a different post, but those hid lights every knob is using is usually mounted in the same blody level as car mirrors, shining directly into the eyes for the driver in front :angry: and I don't care about the leality excuse. it is no different to chavs using xenons in the standard headlights :angry:
Exactly - HID & spots are the curse of the Adventure bike rider, every Feckers got some ~ even if they never ride in the dark

I can tell the difference when I ride a bike with just a conventional headlight, cars waiting to emerge from side roads have a tendency to gamble and pull out as I approach, when I ride with spots on cars tend to freeze and wait for me to pass.
For me spot/riding lights are not a craze, they're an important safety tool.
ratass

Post by ratass »

johnnyboxer wrote:

Well im quite happy switching my lights off and using night vision goggles :-)
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

I don't understand why people find it necessary to ride with auxiliary headlights on all the time. I have a set on my bike and only use them in certain circumstances, either in very poor visibility as per the Highway Code (if visibility is less than 100m) or if I'm riding on a road that has animals on the grass verge (The A31 across the New Forest) and then only if there are no cars in front of me.
It winds me up when I drive and see both people using their fog lights when they don't need them and think why should I do it on my bike?
I've also heard of people failing their MOT recently because they have HID bulbs in standard headlight units because they're not fit for purpose.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

If its passed a MOT its not likely to be so bright that it's dazzling other drivers.

There is a difference between all drivers getting dazzled, and the odd idiot getting all precious because the lights are bit brighter than average.

I have a Tiger Sport and the previous owner changed the bulbs. I've had it next to a standard bike and it is brighter, but not dazzling.

I've ridden behind my wife and my neighbours and because I was worried about dazzling others I asked about the headlights. The responses were "much brighter than your old bike" and "your headlights are really good, very bright but not so bright that they are a problem"

Nevertheless I still get the occasional high beam from someone coming the other way, usually middle aged, male, driving something like a Subaru Impreza. "Oh that's a bit brighter than usual, I have to be the brightest so I'll blind him with my high beam" - Twat! I know your not supposed to but I just respond momentarily with my high beam, then they find out what being dazzled is really like, and switch their own high beam off.

There is a tendancy on this forum to assume all upgraded or auxiliary headlights are too bright, but you really can't judge that without seeing them for yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

SteveW wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:

I can tell the difference when I ride a bike with just a conventional headlight, cars waiting to emerge from side roads have a tendency to gamble and pull out as I approach, when I ride with spots on cars tend to freeze and wait for me to pass.
For me spot/riding lights are not a craze, they're an important safety tool.
Bollox

My main bike has just a headlight & that never happens to me

All my trail bikes have poor lights & in fact I never ride around with the lights on around the back roads & it's fine

If a car ain't gonna see you - extra lights & HiViz won't help

Ride as if they haven't see you anyway

With money we don't have

johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

MarkN wrote:I don't understand why people find it necessary to ride with auxiliary headlights on all the time. I have a set on my bike and only use them in certain circumstances, either in very poor visibility as per the Highway Code (if visibility is less than 100m) or if I'm riding on a road that has animals on the grass verge (The A31 across the New Forest) and then only if there are no cars in front of me.
It winds me up when I drive and see both people using their fog lights when they don't need them and think why should I do it on my bike?
I've also heard of people failing their MOT recently because they have HID bulbs in standard headlight units because they're not fit for purpose.
Agreed

I think auxiliary lights on bikes should be treated the same as cars & only used in poor visibility

Police should give tickets (not points) to bikers who use all manner of extra lights in sunny conditions

That'd sort the buggers out :)

On the mot side, my tester had a VOSA leaflet on the wall with reference to auxiliary lights & their positioning - he'll fail you if your lights don't meet the VOSA ruling - good on him

With money we don't have

Return to “THE PUB”