Light weight this... light weight that. So why cant I fit everything in?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tramp

Re: Light weight this... light weight that. So why cant I fit everything in?

Post by Tramp »

Hi Ipwich..

Basically one mans needs arnt anothers..but mine are simple..

Morrocco is getting more western so everything needed to survive is available...I work on what I need day to day..
Camera for the memories and food and bedding can be got anywhere so dosent need carrying also brings you into touch with the local B) .

wash bag and a few clean undies..mainly in morrocco you use a cheap dig as a base for 2 nights and ride the rough stuff from there..otherwise 2 panniers and a topbax is fine say 30kg max for all [3] that aint much weight my top box has light stuff.

most people have far too much excess baggae in life let alone vacation time..or is that the tramp in me coming out..Enjoy
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

I must admit that I have thought about this over the years and various trips. When I first started bike touring we did manage to keep the luggage to minimal proportions - mainly because the bikes were smaller (both physically and engine size), our luggage equipment was primitive and we actually had less stuff to take. I'm sure there was also the confidence of youth - don't bother taking eg a puncture repair kit, we'll never get one.

More recently, particularly on long trips, I've noticed a tendency in me to try and anticipate every possibility and take stuff "just in case such and such goes wrong". The result is an overloaded camel wobbling its way down the road and on its side pretty rapidly once the tarmac ends. It's partly based on remembering what actually did go wrong on previous trips, a natural tendency to worry more as the years go by but also "biker in a bubble" syndrome - whenever I've planned a trip I usually work out a route, get some idea of hotels / campsites / whatever and get some idea of what I'm going to do. I can't actually remember ever planning in advance spending days trying to get a spare part made in some back street workshop. If I'm going to interact with the locals my planning will ensure that's it's on my terms, not on theirs - because I've brought everything I'm going to need with me. Any change from that becomes an emergency, not a holiday. Looking back though, it's the cock-ups I remember, rarely the times when everything was planned to the nth degree and nothing went wrong. Was it Ted Simon who said "the breakdowns are the journey" (or something like that)? The bottom line is if you take less stuff, more stuff is likely to happen (actually I've just thought of that so it's almost certainly bollox :laugh: :laugh: )

Evidence of my middle age spread -

Then - tent goes on the top box and that's it - for two of us!

Now - You name it, I probably took it (including spare helmet!)

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
scouse

Post by scouse »

Ah I remember those days... "Hmm got a spare seat ... spare lid...just in case... " :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Selous

Post by Selous »

scouse wrote:Ah I remember those days... "Hmm got a spare seat ... spare lid...just in case... " :D
Yep Ditto, Got the T-shirt :laugh:

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Thanks for all the advice. Im one of those people who actually likes camping and my tent, sleeping bag and mat are pretty small. Id like to intentionally find places to sleep out and camp (sometimes). Might see if Aldi have any of those dry bags left in stock. Could strap that across the back.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

Last time I went to Morocco I took a set of throwover panniers and it was plenty. I was staying in hotels, and eating at cafes which are cheap enough not to worry about camping or cooking.

Clothing is the stuff I think most people take too much. I take what I need to keep me warm and dry on the bike and then spare socks, undies, shorts and a T shirt. Thats two sets of clothing :cheer: you can wash socks and undies every couple of days and dry them on the bike under a bungee. You should then have enough room to be able to take off your waterproofs and jumper and fit them in the bags.

Spares wise, I take a spark plug, spare 21" tube as it'll fit into the smaller tyre if needed, tape a clutch cable over the original, extra tape re and basic tools. Basic tools is enough to adjust the chain, fit a tyre and minimum spanners/screwdrivers.
As everything will be serviced and checked before you go (won't it?) nothing will wear out or break. If it does you could not have foreseen it but it's always fixable.

Sponge bag can be reduced to toothbrush and paste, one bottle for shower gel/shampoo/handwash/bikewash, any prescription medication and a small first aid kit. Anything else you find you need can be bought.

When I go this year I'll have a poncho tent and lightweight bag as I want to camp in the desert.I might take a small stove too so I'll need a trailer to get all that in ;)
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
stormfield

Post by stormfield »

Compression sacks - very useful. They'll squish fluffy items down in size (e.g. sleepign bags), they'll waterproof all your stuff inside soft panniers, and at camp you can take them out and leave panniers strapped on the bike. Also doubles up as a pillow if you stuff clothes into it.
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

I know the COG is higher than with panniers but its all in one bag. Id like the giant loop great basin but for £7 or what ever this cost it must be good.

Ive managed to fit~:
tent
sleeping bag
sleeping mat
tyre change kit (12v pump, patch kit, valve tool, spare front, rear tube and my three tyres levers seem to have gone missing but will stick them in when found)
Tool bag. (I could put this in tool tube and mount on front of bash plate)

In the tank bag:
wash bag (tooth brush, tooth paste, deoderant, tea towel)
bits and bobs bag (head torch, lighters etc)

Ive not packed any clothes apart from my trusty balaclava (might need to change that). Also no stove and pot. Raw/cold food isnt that bad.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Morph

Post by Morph »

ipswichbiker wrote:Ive not packed any clothes apart from my trusty balaclava (might need to change that). Also no stove and pot. Raw/cold food isnt that bad.
No clothes and raw food sounds a bit hardcore... :blink:
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Morph wrote:
ipswichbiker wrote:Ive not packed any clothes apart from my trusty balaclava (might need to change that). Also no stove and pot. Raw/cold food isnt that bad.
No clothes and raw food sounds a bit hardcore... :blink:
You should see the armoured loin cloth.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R

Return to “THE PUB”