Where would you prefer to stay on a bike tour?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

If you were joining an organised tour, and the overnight stop over points were in major cities, like Manchester City Centre for instance, would that put you off joining in, for fear of where you were going to park your bike overnight? Or would it make you want to go because there would be a decent night out?
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Well we're touring with mates in Spain - Andalucia etc
We've been staying in major posh hotels - all 4* - in Granada at present for 4 nights & nights out are fab
All have had garages for the bikes
The hotels are top class - marble everywhere & aircon, plus pools etc
When I saw what my mates had booked (they don't slum it) - I thought blimey, this is gonna cost a bit - but we haven't paid more the 60e per night for single rooms in Oct - so about £45
Well happy as the places are minted
Similar hotels in uk would be easily £150/night
How we get ripped off in uk
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
sprintster

Re: Where would you prefer to stay on a bike tour?

Post by sprintster »

I wouldn't be worrying about parking because if it's any half decent tour company they should have already thought of that.Personally,I wouldn't be keen on staying in cities because I'm a country bumpkin.I'm not interested in the nightlife.I would much rather stay in a small,family run hotel in a small town or village so long as there was a bar and restaurant somewhere preferably with a nice view and chill out.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

£45 will probably get you a room in a Travelodge if you either book early or get corporate rates.

Back on the original question though; I'd want secure parking if I was in a city centre and that rarely happens but even in smaller towns bikes get stolen and secure parking is rare so get there first, put a lock on the bike and make sure your mates block your bike in with theirs (thumbs)
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Take a low mileage,11 year old sports tourer.Nobody's going to bother stealing that! (thumbs)
WP_20150711_18_53_56_Pro_2015-10-10.jpg
WP_20150711_18_53_56_Pro_2015-10-10.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

If I was planning to do a tour the accommodation is the last thing I would be concerned with, I would be looking at price, destination, daily mileage and whether the tour tickled my fancy, if a good quality hotel was thrown into the equation and did not over inflate the price of the tour then yes I'm happy to go posh. :S

Personally I would not be interested in "night's on the town" I would much rather ride and I would be aggrieved if I was paying extra for a "quality hotel" and then not actually using it :whistle:

When I tour I tend to use the cheaper end of the accommodation range which keeps my cost down as I would rather have two trips than one expensive one but saying that my tour of NZ last xmas cost 5.5k all inclusive :pinch: which turned out to be a quid for every mile I did in NZ on my hire bike.

Good luck if your planning anything (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I try to stay away from any city center and all major towns all the time let alone on holiday. I prefer nature's views and a nice bar/restaurant for the group to eat laugh and drink.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

The city centre location wouldn't necessarily put me off but if i was with people I got on with, I really wouldn't want city centre bars and restaurants, I'd prefer a nice country pub with decent ale and food...and the company.
special one

Post by special one »

redbikejohn wrote:I try to stay away from any city center and all major towns all the time let alone on holiday. I prefer nature's views and a nice bar/restaurant for the group to eat laugh and drink.
That's me to a tee, cities are full of tourists and everything is plastic/false to accommodate them, give me natural beauty any day (thumbs)
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Mawnanian

Post by Mawnanian »

I tend not to book ahead and take what's handy and available. Sometimes a smart hotel in town, sometimes a 4 to a room doss house. The variety adds to the experience.

Return to “THE PUB”