US Gun Control

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daytona-supersport

US Gun Control

Post by daytona-supersport »

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-i ... n-violence
And the winner is Waco TX. 9 Dead and 18 wounded.

Looks like many Americans are generally shot by other Americans rather than any terrorist group.
misterlaffer

Re: US Gun Control

Post by misterlaffer »

daytona-supersport wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-i ... n-violence
And the winner is Waco TX. 9 Dead and 18 wounded.

Looks like many Americans are generally shot by other Americans rather than any terrorist group.
I don't claim to know many Americans, but I have and do work with a few, both now and in the past. What fascinates me with this relatively small group of people when you get them to discuss 'Guns' they can all discuss the personal arsenal they have at home with as much enthusiasm as most people do on here about Motorbikes. This includes bringing up personal websites showing their latest 'customised hardware'.

I once went over there to work, and they took us Brits out to an indoor shooting range in between McDonalds and the Dry Cleaners. Even the Women amongst them were happy to pull their 9mm out of the glove box to join in. BTW this was a company writing software for hospitals and doctors ! It amazed me how we could have a go with an Uzi and a Magnum 45, Colt Peacemaker (love that name) and all sorts shooting at targets that represented a human body.

Therefore, it is no wonder these tragedies occur from time to time. I guess it's just part of the culture that thankfully most of the rest of the civilised world fail to understand (thumbs)

One aspect that really fascinated me was a UK chap I know went there to work on a long-term working visa. He got pissed off with one of his colleagues (as one does from time to time), and swore, and lost his temper a bit. He was immediately hauled into the Managers office and asked to empty his pockets, and had his desk drawer checked. When asked what they were looking for the Manager replied with "Just Checking buddy, just checking".
steve172

Post by steve172 »

The people who are shooting in ranges are generally shooting in a very controlled environment and are doing it responsibly.

It's the maniacs who are shooting wherever they feel like you need to watch out for.
AirbusPaul

Post by AirbusPaul »

Gun control in the USA ? That will be the day ! :whistle:
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

While in Britain

130,000 Knife attacks a year in Britain

Guns, knives, hammers etc... all are just tools. People attack people, not the tool they use.
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

Diesel Pete wrote:While in Britain

Guns, knives, hammers etc... all are just tools. People attack people, not the tool they use.

Interesting stat on the BBC website. If you remove the homicides in the US that were not Gun Related they still have a high homicide rate per 100,000 of the population compared to others. By no means exhaustive analysis, but it does make you wonder why ?

Gedge

Post by Gedge »

More accurate and unsensational figures here ;http://researchbriefings.files.parliame ... N04304.pdf

Considerably lower than the NRA and the Daily ail would have you believe...
jkay

Post by jkay »

Agree completely
scutty

Post by scutty »

Wow - where did you dig up that 7 year old report?! Does the Daily Mail never delete anything?!??!
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

I think it's the actual murder rate that's the issue. (Those knife attack figures include offences where a knife was brandished but not used.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate

The USA doesn't feature too badly, it is just always highly publicised when there's a school shooting

Return to “THE PUB”