Is that it then, until next Year?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

Re: Is that it then, until next Year?

Post by SteveW »

If the weather's reasonable and I am in the mood I'll take the bike out winter or summer.
I tend not to do a lots of totally recreational road riding, as in a blast around local "Biker" roads, stop off for a brew and repeat in reverse back home, I do a bit of that, of course, but I often like a practical purpose however trivial to justify the ride.
I see my bikes as practical personal transport, not some plaything that need protecting from road salt.
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

boboneleg wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
I'd sooner take the risk of my nice clean garage, than Yorkshire's salt laden roads, over the 6 months of winter, from October to April each year for my bikes, thanks (thumbs)

Don't see any pleasure in road riding on cold winter days and having to clean, a salt encrusted bike

Trials bike in van, nice and protected for my winter biking fix, once or twice a week

Heater on, radio on - nice and toasty on the roads - no icy windblast and if it rains, just turn the wipers on :woohoo:
I reckon you're a fake Yorkshireman, I thought you lot were rufty, tufty and we're the southern softies? ;)
He's never told you he's a Yorkshireman has he ? Devonian methinks but an honorary Yorkshireman now. (thumbs)
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

SteveW wrote:If the weather's reasonable and I am in the mood I'll take the bike out winter or summer.
I tend not to do a lots of totally recreational road riding, as in a blast around local "Biker" roads, stop off for a brew and repeat in reverse back home, I do a bit of that, of course, but I often like a practical purpose however trivial to justify the ride.
I see my bikes as practical personal transport, not some plaything that need protecting from road salt.
I find the most practical personal transport in the winter something with four wheels,and a heater! (thumbs)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

boristhebold wrote: He's never told you he's a Yorkshireman has he ? Devonian methinks but an honorary Yorkshireman now. (thumbs)
Cheers Dave (thumbs)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

I won't be sorning either bike but will only be using the versys over the winter. The street triple will stay in the garage apart from getting new boots on.
My commute is 25 miles each way and will use the bike when I can but if there is any chance of ice then why risk it on the bike when the car is sat on the drive. The only problem is I set off for work at 5 in the morning which is pretty much the coldest time of day.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

waynecoluk wrote:I won't be sorning either bike but will only be using the versys over the winter. The street triple will stay in the garage apart from getting new boots on.
My commute is 25 miles each way and will use the bike when I can but if there is any chance of ice then why risk it on the bike when the car is sat on the drive. The only problem is I set off for work at 5 in the morning which is pretty much the coldest time of day.
I only needed to commute for the first eight years of my working life.
When you are using a bike to commute in winter you have to factor-in all the kitting-up and de-kitting at the other end.
Plus bikes are often in a garage, a car is often just sitting outside. Then there is the probability that you'll need to at least give it a wipe it over when you get home. Then you need to have somewhere at work that's at least secure and hopefully covered to park up. Yes I suppose it's probably more trouble than it's worth every day.
I don't do much paid work anymore, so I suppose it's easier for me to use a bike over winter, generally I don't have the strict time constraints of an 8-5 job and I don't have to faff about taking kit off and putting it back on when I get to and then leave work.
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

I never sorn mine for the simple reason that there are the occasional gems of days in Winter that are wonderful to ride, yes, there's salt and crap to wash off but it's worth it IMHO Thankfully I no longer need to commute by bike (or owt else for that matter (thumbs) )
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I think the years of commuting on bikes from about 1975 to 1990 when kit wasn't anything like as good as it is now burned it into my brain that year round commuting on bikes is no fun at all.

I ride bikes in winter because I want to rather than because I have to and that makes a massive difference. I'd probably feel differently if I was working in central London but it would take a massive amount of money to make me take a job like that so it's kind of irrelevant.
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

I wont ride my bike in winter if there is salt on the roads. I don't SORN it though, just in case you get the odd weekend where it's mild and the roads are dry. As soon as the salt goes down the roads tend to stay wet no matter how sunny it is.

I've been off work this week and can't believe how good the weather is. Went down to Dartmoor for a few days. 550 miles in 48 hours. Got to clear my Defender out as I've got a guy coming to look at it Sunday. If he buys it I'll be half way there to buying my next bike. A Yamaha XT1200Z.... :woohoo:

IMG_2410.JPG
IMG_2410.JPG (62.26 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
IMG_2411.JPG
IMG_2411.JPG (50.97 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
IMG_2422.JPG
IMG_2422.JPG (92.38 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

My annual Boxing Day run ends like this:

But normally for me means a start at 07.00 @ -10º to get there in time for breakfast (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

PS yes, that is wine :whistle:
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “THE PUB”