Some local knowledge required please?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
steve172

Re: Some local knowledge required please?

Post by steve172 »

I have only done the A7 to Galashiels and it was a nice road, you could turn there onto the A68 which is a nice road but plenty of speed cameras, lots of severe gradient changes (I got a fright on one towing two bikes on a trailer at 45mph, nevermind being on the bike) and nice bends.

The route through Peebles and Innerleithan is also nice but perhaps a busier route. You could go that way to Selkirk then bear right down the A708 through Yarrowford to St Marys Loch, that's a good ride, down to Moffat (Abington Services) and pick up the M74 until Gretna Green/Carlisle.

Might be interested in participating! (Edit - just saw your last post, likely I'll be down at training in Essex in May :()
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

steve172 wrote:(Edit - just saw your last post, likely I'll be down at training in Essex in May :()
The ride is South to North, starting near Southampton, so could it be your ride home?
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
steve172

Post by steve172 »

Wish it was that simple, will be up and down weekly from January - May. I'll keep an eye on the dates.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Evening bump
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

A few things, probably viewed a negative. ;)
I'd seriously reconsider numbers in any one group. (Will everyone want to ride in a group?) You already know its like herding cats so why create a big headache because as you're the organiser, if it goes awry, you'll get it in the neck. (Maybe make it a self guided trip for solo, small or large groups with help along the way and have a few riders assist you at strategic points?)
Although not a race, I'd be annoyed if I had to stop every 100 miles on my bike capable of 300+ miles in one hit...I'd rather stop where I fancy stopping for a brew (I may be missing the point of the event?)
I would also avoid any bank holiday weekend like the plague..caravanners, morons etc etc. For a good ride out, people WILL take a day off to complete it.
FAT MATT

Post by FAT MATT »

East from Hawes then South on the B6160 via Kettlewell is a nicer route than the Settle run IMHO. You could even do the Stalling Busk lane and the Roman Rd S of Hawes.
V_King

Post by V_King »

babysitting 50-100 riders :unsure: by the end of the first day you will hope it never started :evil:

IMHO just prepare the route, set everyone of at the set day and hour and place with some sort of non removable bracelet, and let them go with compulsory photos or checkpoints. and set the day time and place for a finish, where the riders will get their certificate, that they rode the event and helped rise so much cash etc. or a pin like in stela alpina.

on the other hand, would like to do the route on my own paste in my own time, so will keep an eye on it :)
""
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

hi ralph drop me the where and when i fancy a bit of a nip out, also how are you taking the pennies, haven't read all the threads as usual

steve
-Ralph-

Some local knowledge required please?

Post by -Ralph- »

Boris & V King, I am coming round to your way of thinking.

I've babysat 50 plus riders before, and it's been OK, but there is a certain amount of luck involved, and doing it three days on the trot may be pushing that luck.

I'm meeting with the other organiser tonight so will discuss it.

I think we'll leave that bit open for now, and see how many riders sign up. If it hits 40 or 50, we'll go for independent riders, less than that I'm confident and experienced enough in group rides to manage that.

How did the distinguished gentleman's ride work?

Steve, we haven't figured out the money collection bit yet. We are hoping Goldengiving website gives us the ability for each individual to have a fundraising page, linked to an event, a bit like Justgiving, or Mo-vember, or Andy just had for the distinguished gentleman's. We are looking into that this evening.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Return to “THE PUB”