Lets Ban Horses on the Roads.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daytona-supersport

Re: Lets Ban Horses on the Roads.

Post by daytona-supersport »

Mike54 wrote:God you whingers. Live and let live, less selfishness eh
Good man, agree 100%. So can I now go out and ride on bridleways?
OOP's. Silly me, they were byways but now they are for horsey types only. :whistle:

I am more than happy to give them the same degree of regard that they bestow upon other road users. Bugger all. :laugh:
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

I've always thought that walking on tarmac must hurt the horse's feet. Surely they're designed for grass!
daytona-supersport

AndyB wrote:I suppose banning horses makes a change from banning refugees.

What are your views on Arabian horses :whistle:
Don't know really. Never tried eating one. They look Ok to eat, so should be fine.

I really honestly don't have a problem with horses. I like horses.
I just think that they are a bloody danger on the roads.

Reasons. Inability of the rider to control their mount. Young and inexperienced riders on the roads. Allowing their mounts to leave piles of excrement in the road, creating a hazard for motor cyclists. Inconsiderate behaviour by riders, often knowingly obstructing traffic rather than dismounting to control their horse.
Horses climbing into the back of lorries at channel ports are no longer a significant problem since the introduction of higher fences alongside the roads. To the best of my knowledge, there have been no instances of horses from Arab countries attempting to enter the channel tunnel. It has been determined that many horses claiming to be of Arab origin are in fact from other regions where feed and stabling is not provided free of charge.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'd set up a serious of guidelines that horse riders have to adhere to if they want to take their horse on the road but apart from that there's not much you can do.

I suppose you could report them to the RSPCA for endangering the horse but that's going a bit far and wasting the time of a valuable resource.
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

daytona-supersport wrote: Inconsiderate behaviour by riders, often knowingly obstructing traffic rather than dismounting to control their horse.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You do realise that controlling a horse is far easier when sat astride it. Your suggestion is akin to walking alongside your bike (on the right hand side if you please) with engine running and in first rather than riding it.
daytona-supersport

hotbulb wrote:I've always thought that walking on tarmac must hurt the horse's feet. Surely they're designed for grass!
That's why they wear shoes. So they don't stub their toes. :laugh:

Ever seen a farrier deal with a stroppy horse?
A whack on the nose with a big file usually works. Seen this more than a few times.
It must make their eyes water. Er, that's the horse not the farrier.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Many years ago I used to help the other half's friend who ran a riding stable on Dartmoor for punters to come for a week or so and ride the moor and also the lanes to get about. The horses were out in the fields over winter and lost all manners--so come spring the job was firstly catch the buggers, scrape the mud off, get a saddle on them--AND THEN TEACH THEM ROAD MANNERS SO THAT THE PUNTERS DIDN'T GET CHUCKED OFF WITH EVERY PASSING CAR. They are cunning and will try it on until you tell them whose boss--and then they behave. Several times lately (On a bike) I have come across riders who really shouldn't be on the road as the horse is too skittish and not under control and the rider isn't able to control them--its not the horses fault but the human on top!. If they start prancing around there is an accident very likely to happen, especially to the horse. They are welcome to use the roads but also need to be under control--and riders ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS in the courts for damages etc.
daytona-supersport

boristhebold wrote:
daytona-supersport wrote: Inconsiderate behaviour by riders, often knowingly obstructing traffic rather than dismounting to control their horse.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You do realise that controlling a horse is far easier when sat astride it. Your suggestion is akin to walking alongside your bike (on the right hand side if you please) with engine running and in first rather than riding it.
If your comment is true. Why do the rider seem to have such a problem when their flipping horse is prancing all over the road? OK so if walking is not an option, it's back to square one. Leave the blasted animal in the field or stable until you are able to transport it in a horse box or trailer to your preferred of road riding area.
This seems to work well for moto-cross and enduro riders. Why not horses?
threepot

Post by threepot »

Suck behind this lot for a good hour the other day!! :P
godiva-london-404_672194c.jpg
godiva-london-404_672194c.jpg (20.88 KiB) Viewed 647 times
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

daytona-supersport wrote:
AndyB wrote:I suppose banning horses makes a change from banning refugees.

What are your views on Arabian horses :whistle:
Horses climbing into the back of lorries at channel ports are no longer a significant problem since the introduction of higher fences alongside the roads.
Have you seen the size of the fences they jump at Aintree fences are not a barrier to them!! :whistle:
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***

Return to “THE PUB”