Average Speed Cameras on A40 into London - ACTIVE 26 Oct!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Redmurty

Re: Average Speed Cameras on A40 into London - ACTIVE 26 Oct!

Post by Redmurty »

just ride at what ever speed you like and just before the second set slow right down :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
drumbrakes

Average Speed Cameras on A40 into London - ACTIVE 26 Oct!

Post by drumbrakes »

It doesn't matter what speed you are doing when you go past the camera. All that matters is how long it's been since you passed one further down the road. That's what they use to calculate your average speed (along with the distance between the two).
You are free to speed up or slow down as much as you like, just as long as you don't pass the next camera any sooner than if you've been sitting at exactly the limit all the time.

This should be safer than single point cameras where so many vehicles put their brakes on when they get near, just in case they were speeding, without even checking the limit or their own speed first.
davsato

Post by davsato »

if i can plagiarise the great Blackadder, i wouldnt pass water over london let alone pass through it, so this wont bother me :P
Dave
D16PJM

Post by D16PJM »

to be honest your doing well on the A40 if you manage an average above 20mph in rush hour
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

redbikejohn wrote:Regular users of this route should now be aware that the flashing static cameras have been taken down and replaced with permanent average cameras - all the way from the northolt airport on into London.
For me personally this has made it a LOT more dangerous. I can no longer accelerate out of a tight spot so end up getting boxed in a lot feeling very vulnerable. Or I go to overtake a slow car doing 45 and he wakes up and speeds up leaving me stuck on the outside lane with a mad skip lorry behind me who is oblivious to the average cameras. I can't speed up and can't slow down to slot back in behind the "slow car" as traffic had backed up behind it and they are all now doing the same speed as me. This morning I was in inside lane and approached an onramp, normally I'd move out into middle lane but two massive double deck lorries were there (no doubt with calibrated speedometers so could push the limit) so I had to slow down to allow cars onto the A40 feeling very vulnerable as trucks were throwing up lots of spay seemed too close for comfort. Normally I'd just hit the gas before the junction and move out or actually I'd not be in that situation as I'd be in the outside lane keeping clear of traffic and able to safety manage my road space. Already seen one bike knocked off in the first week. :(
Remember it's an average speed between the cameras. You can go faster where you need to accelerate out of trouble, so long as you rejoin the slower traffic to make up for it, before you hit the second camera.

Also don't forget most people stick dead on the limit, most speedometers over read, and the cameras don't book you for 1mph over the limit, you usually have 10% plus 2 to play with. So lets say a 50mph limit, a car reading 50mph is actually doing 47mph. 10% plus 2 gives you up to 57mph, so that's 10mph faster than the cars you can "average" without getting a ticket.

I have my smartphone in a waterproof case on the handlebars, and a GPS speedometer app, that lets you see what your average speed is, reset at the beginning of the cameras, then do what you like, so long as you throttle off enough to drop that average below the limit plus 10% plus 2mph, before the next camera.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

Sadly the +10% is a myth and doesnt always apply as the tolerance is just a guideline. Pop into your local Police Station and they will say the same.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Mike Wright wrote:Sadly the +10% is a myth and doesnt always apply as the tolerance is just a guideline. Pop into your local Police Station and they will say the same.
Of course they will,they are hardly likely to tell you it's alright to break the speed limit. :whistle:
My first time up the A9 since they installed average speed cameras I just thought I would take the risk to see where we stand. I was just hovering under the 10% limit (when I pass a rear facing camera and just ignore front facing cameras) and I never received any nasty letters. (thumbs)
dave448

Post by dave448 »

sprintster

Post by sprintster »

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Mike Wright wrote:Sadly the +10% is a myth and doesnt always apply as the tolerance is just a guideline. Pop into your local Police Station and they will say the same.
A myth is something that isn't real. The guidelines are real, not a myth.

The guidelines were set out by the ACPO who were disbanded in April, though the guidelines continue to be used.

It is just a guideline and you could be done for 1mph over the limit if the circumstances justified that. A camera can't take into account circumstances, unless the position of the camera itself is the dangerous circumstance (outside a school for instance).

So almost all cameras are set as per the guidance.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “THE PUB”