I Just Don't Believe It.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daytona-supersport

I Just Don't Believe It.

Post by daytona-supersport »

Going out for my usual Saturday ride out to meet up with a few other biking fools. Went down the road from the village to the main road. Traffic lights at the T- junction and a car waiting at the red light. I stopped about a half a cars length from the rear of the car, positioned in the centre of the car / lane so I would be easy to seen. A nice clear positioning on the road.
A moment later the car driver reversed straight back into me! What the heck was going on? I had no time to take any avoiding action. Simple, the car driver had thought that by reversing back up the road a bit, it would give a truck waiting at the lights to turn into the village road a clear path for turning. If the car driver had just waited and gone through on the next green light, the way would have been clear for the truck anyway. He thought it was clear behind and reversed without checking his mirror. OK, Silly, but nobody is inflammable! :S
The funny thing is that he hit the bike hard enough to cause a very deep V in the rear bumper. This allied to the front mudguard knifing into to top of the bumper held the bike in pretty much a vertical position as I leapt off to avoid being trapped by the combined car and bike.
Well, the outcome was not so bad, The Matchless mudguard bridging piece is a bit tweaked and is now just rubbing a bit on the tyre, this will straighten out ok. A bit of painting / touching in will be required on the mudguard and for safety's sake, I will fit a new tyre. I checked the forks and the run out on the rim and all seems fine.
It transpired that the driver lives just up the road from me, nice guy and seemed a lot more upset than I was. We can all cock up some times, this was one of those times.
I just told him not to worry to much, shit happens. No real harm done and no injuries so, no big deal. He is happy to pay for the tyre and I will sort out the mudguard and mounts. A bit of a nuisance but worse things happen. I'm just grateful that the bike stayed upright, getting the recently refurbished tank or other hard to find parts damaged on the bike would have been a real pain.

I'm trying to recall how many times I have been hit be cars whilst stationary. The first time damn near killed me.
felco

Re: I Just Don't Believe It.

Post by felco »

Really impressed with your manner in dealing with the situation mate, shit does happen and you just wanting a tyre out of the accident is just great,it makes my blood boil over insurance claims now days, like you say shit happens,
glad your ok, and the driver learnt a lesson (thumbs) top bloke!
Allan F

Post by Allan F »

Respect
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

My mate had the same thing happen last week.A bit of T-cut took the scratches out of his mudguard.I've reversed into a car sitting behind me in Asda before so I'm not going to start the "all car driver's are dicks!" rant. :blush:
micksea

Post by micksea »

when he see"s the cost of a new bumper you can expect a claim from his insurance company because you "drove into the back of him whilst he was stationary at the lights"plus his standard £4k payout for whiplash....or maybe im just getting old and cynical
bull

Post by bull »

should always call the police in an accident like that, so that they document what happened and have a record of it

I don't give a sh*t if someone was nice guy or not, because I don't trust anybody

that's my view anyway
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

bull wrote:should always call the police in an accident like that, so that they document what happened and have a record of it

I don't give a sh*t if someone was nice guy or not, because I don't trust anybody

that's my view anyway
And then you will be on here complaining that you never see a bobby on the beat anymore or cops sitting at the roadside watching out for the real dangerous driving...because they are all out on a call or back at the station filling out paperwork for some little shunt where there was minimal damage! :whistle:
felco

Post by felco »

bull wrote:should always call the police in an accident like that, so that they document what happened and have a record of it

that's my view anyway
My world is better than yours :)
bull

Post by bull »

somebody gives you their word after an accident and you believe them, don't make me fu*king laugh :laugh:

and then you find out a week later that their suing you for damage to their vehicle and blaming you for the accident

someones word is not worth a sh*t, so its not
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

We are all human and make mistakes, parked outside local ironmongers in works mini bus and when I got back in to leave a car parked in front of me so I had to reverse a bit to get out, looked in wing mirrors and proceded to reverse when crunch, oh shit, got out and saw I had reversed into a flash Mercedes which I couldn't see in wing mirrors, I went back into ironmongers to see who owned the car and he wasn't best pleased but I did point out that no one saw me do it and I could have buggered off :whistle: bit of a crack in his bumper = £1,000 :ohmy:

Return to “THE PUB”