Pyrenees a van go !!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Kirky1298

Pyrenees a van go !!

Post by Kirky1298 »

Well,
After purchasing a 2011 plate Renault Traffic direct from the AA last week I've set about transforming it for our trip to the Pyrenees in 3 weeks time

Nothing like leaving it to the last minute , but I've had the same car for 10 years and suddenly decided it was time for a change.
I shot down from Motherwell to Leicester on the train to pick the van up and was surprised just how well it drove on the return journey. £160 to insure fully comp and 39.8mpg on the return journey, what's not to like.

I removed the bulkhead tool racks and associated AA gumph and gave the van a deep clean ( typical mechanics van )

The Bananavan cleaned up mot too bad.

Although the timescale is tight ( 3 weeks and I still haven't figured out the new Garmin Etrex 20 yet ) I took a couple of days to ponder just what I wanted to do with the van.

I made a list of materials today and set off on the quest for plywood lining and insulation.

Stage 1 ......

Line all exposed single skin sections with this gear

And that's about as far as I got today work wise , however, I've ordered the following....

Kingspan insulation
Rockwool type insulation made from Recycled plastic bottles ( apparently rockwool holds moisture and rots the van from the inside out )
10m of Vel trim carpet and adhesive for the roof and walls
Industrial grade vinyl for the floor
2 side windows in 80% privacy glass
Tiger seal for windows
2x 500w pioneer speakers for the rear ( good sounds is a must ) (thumbs)
2 x led cab lights
4 x blue ambient low level lights for the rear ( it's going to be a 6 seater dayvan )
10 x tie down points ( you can never have enough tie downs )

I think that's about it for now.
Tomorrow I'll continue with the insulation process, get the floor in and figure out the wiring route before starting to line the van out.
Wish me luck , regards, Jok. (thumbs)
Dutchgit

Re: Pyrenees a van go !!

Post by Dutchgit »

Cool. What engine is in that ?
I've got the 90 BHP 2.0 engine (also comes in 114 BHP) and had the ECU flashed two weeks ago. Now have 120 BHP. WHAT A DIFFERENCE ! :woohoo:

If you're going to the HISS as well it'll look like a bloody builders convention :laugh:
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Dutchgit wrote:Cool. What engine is in that ?
I've got the 90 BHP 2.0 engine (also comes in 114 BHP) and had the ECU flashed two weeks ago. Now have 120 BHP. WHAT A DIFFERENCE ! :woohoo:

If you're going to the HISS as well it'll look like a bloody builders convention :laugh:
Yeah it will instead of being a "bikers" convention :P and not even page 4 ;) don't you guys ride ya bikes van fa..... :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

don't forget polystyrene is good insulation and can be cut to shape (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)

900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

Very nice van a great plans for it..........BUT, I hate buts! I know you where real pleased with your insurance price, but do just get a requote for your windows and seats added before you cut them out ;)
Good Luck with the project.
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

900Fantrider wrote:Very nice van a great plans for it..........BUT, I hate buts! I know you where real pleased with your insurance price, but do just get a requote for your windows and seats added before you cut them out ;)
Good Luck with the project.
Good point but the ferries like you to have windows as it's not a commercial then and hence cheaper ? or have I misunderstood their pricing :pinch:

cheers Spud ;)

Tramp

Post by Tramp »

its a van so a sweat box any where hot :laugh: ..ive done a few conversions and the silver reflective stuff first then rockwool then plylined worked for me ..being tight lol..

a mini heki roof window/vent is a excellent idea as are those dog vents the police use..i use led light strip in lots of places ..very small draw for huge light throw..ebay (thumbs) ...

im sure adding windows changes the van type from a van to a people carrier...back windows are different..and roof windows dont change anything..search the surf dudes forums :woohoo: ...

thinking of ecu flashin my renault dci 140 upto 175bhp..but not sure it works well? as its the nissan engine 3.0 4 cyclinder with no intercooler that went into lots of 4x4..z3 I think.

what happened to the flash strip down the side .. :kiss:
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

Redmurty wrote:don't forget polystyrene is good insulation and can be cut to shape (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Bubblewrap is pretty good as well - and the advantage is you don't even need to cut it into shape - just pack it in :)
moto al

Post by moto al »

Just watch out some campsites won't let you stay in a van. They think you might be a traveling person. :whistle: :whistle:
moto al
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Emf#53 wrote:
Redmurty wrote:don't forget polystyrene is good insulation and can be cut to shape (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Bubblewrap is pretty good as well - and the advantage is you don't even need to cut it into shape - just pack it in :)
nice one (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)

Return to “THE PUB”