What do you Look for in a location for a weekend away on the bike

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
FMFox

What do you Look for in a location for a weekend away on the bike

Post by FMFox »

Hey all,

Just doing a bit of market research:

Me and Mrs Fox are looking into buying a Hostel/bunkhouse with an adjoining pub close to an area with a high density of green lanes and also great biking roads (also a fair few mountain bike parks.)

obviously secure parking is a must but what other facilities would you want for budget accomodation for a weekend away on the bike.

are you happy to share dorm accomodation or is a private room important?
is use of a guest kitchen important or would you prefer to buy meals?

anything that might not be obvious.

P.s. if this comes off i'm sure an ABR meet will be in the pipe line.

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
picos mestizo

Re: What do you Look for in a location for a weekend away on the bike

Post by picos mestizo »

Maybe room for a fewv tents.
Located near Mountains or great riding roads(wales / Lake district etc.)
You need to cater for tarmac riders as there will be more of these than dedicated trail riders in the UK.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

A mix of both bunk room & twin/double bed rooms, kitchen, hoops concreted in so bikes can be chained to them, a drying room for kit and an area where bikes can be hosed off.

I don't want much :)
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

own room, shower/bath. secure drying room. Good food (not from frozen) and plenty of it plus decent beer. Not in the slightest bit interested in cooking on a weekend away, would buy food in the pub (thumbs)

tarmac riders will want vrery different things, there are actually many many trail riders who you could fill the place with if it's near interesting stuff. Also mountain bike riders will want similar things to trail riders and there's a big market there. Tarmac riders and offroad riders don't tend to mix in a venue like that.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

I don't really do a lot of this sort of thing, but for me my own room is vital. I would also like cover for the bike, not necessarily a garage, but a roof to keep the rain off (and when you're packing!). I'm an early starter, so breakfast available from 7:00 am would be good. I like to be fairly remote - but i still want to get tv & radio - useful for weather forecast etc. I have been places where there was no signal, and it was a PITA. Mobile phone coverage & wifi is nice, but not the end of the world.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

This is a great idea!

So a nice range then from the potential punters. Personally I don't mind about the accommodation, I'm happy to share. Guided ride outs, a well stocked bar, fancy burgers and wood fired pizza would make it heaven. Oh and a drying room.

Where are you looking?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Well if you just cater for trail riders you'll miss an opportunity to capture the adventure tarmac riders which most on this site are.
Certainly wasn't refering to cruiser / sports bike riders who usually want hotels.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Brenhden wrote:This is a great idea!

So a nice range then from the potential punters. Personally I don't mind about the accommodation, I'm happy to share. Guided ride outs, a well stocked bar, fancy burgers and wood fired pizza would make it heaven. Oh and a drying room.

Where are you looking?
= potential liability

Wood fired pizza oven is an awesome idea, would be a real selling point if they made their own dough and pizzas etc (which is a piece of piss to do) (thumbs)
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Fire pits and a good supply of wood
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

fatowl wrote:but for me my own room is vital. I would also like cover for the bike, not necessarily a garage, but a roof to keep the rain off (and when you're packing!). I'm an early starter, so breakfast available from 7:00 am would be good. I like to be fairly remote - but i still want to get tv & radio - useful for weather forecast etc. I have been places where there was no signal, and it was a PITA. Mobile phone coverage & wifi is nice, but not the end of the world.
(thumbs)

Not into sharing .. however cheap (rather not go), I like my own space after a day on the bike. Listening to someone (other than the wife) snore the night away while I'm kept awake is literal nightmare :angry: - and I snore too, I refuse to make apologies over breakfast, so simple solution for me now is NEVER EVER SHARE, if you can' give me my own room - I'm off.

Return to β€œTHE PUB”