What do you Look for in a location for a weekend away on the bike

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
bowber

Re: What do you Look for in a location for a weekend away on the bike

Post by bowber »

We look for nice clean accommodation, doesn't have to be fancy for me but my wife gets fussy :whistle:
I don't tend to like shared accommodation unless it's with a group I know or am about to know
Nice grub, good bar, somewhere for the bike that's reasonably secure.
Good selection of local rides maps etc.
Camping is an option for cheaper weekends away, I've had some good weekends camping behind a pub that does good food and cider and doesn't mind slightly grubby customers :-)

But most of all, a happy face. A good welcome is far more important to us than most things.

Steve
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I'm not into sharing a room either.Some single rooms or reasonably priced twins for us loners would be good.A drying room and some communal space preferably with a wood burning stove and WiFi for the evenings.I'm not interested in cooking when I'm away from home so a pub within walking distance serving decent,reasonably priced food is a must.If you've got the space I'm sure a camping area or even a couple of log pods wouldn't go wrong.
I've pretty much described this place.I stayed there 3 times last year. (thumbs)
www.skyehostels.com
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

A group of 4-7 of us do this type of accom twice a year minimum.
Lots already said, mix of 2,4 and 6 berth rooms. Bed linen and towels provided (but maybe the option to book for £2 less and bring your own ?) Decent kitchen facilities with sufficient fridges for stuff. At least 2 overns and 2 hobs. Ability to do an online shop and have it delivered to the place (the last place we stopped at nr Peebles, she put our fridge stuff away and the rest on a table with a note, another group there (Mountain bikers) had their own fridge and delivery, worked really well.
Decent lounge with wood burner (stone flagged) Good proper sized drying room with pukka dehumidifiers....the MTB places all seem to be where it rains alot...borders, lakes, N and S Wales etc)
A car port type construction would be good for packing or unpacking in the rain and as mentioned, a few ground anchor type things. Plus a lockable cycle store.
Quite jealous, I could see me and the Mrs and both daughters doing something like this as a family venture in yrs to come. (thumbs)
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

The first thing I look at when booking a hotel is en suite and wi fi. I don't share rooms as its nice to chill out at the end of the day. Wi fi is important so you can plan your route for the next day especially for us guys who do road riding.
The price is very important as when I went away in may I could get on booking.com and pick up a hotel he next day for 30-40 pounds.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

waynecoluk wrote:The first thing I look at when booking a hotel is en suite and wi fi. I don't share rooms as its nice to chill out at the end of the day. Wi fi is important so you can plan your route for the next day especially for us guys who do road riding.
The price is very important as when I went away in may I could get on booking.com and pick up a hotel he next day for 30-40 pounds.
I cannot believe I forgot to mention wifi!
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
steve172

Post by steve172 »

As long as you don't need to sign up to some service to use the wifi. Nice and simple like your home setup... password and you're on.
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

With the right size place you can cater for both types, perhaps a £25-£30 b and b with a twin room but also a £18-£20 self cater hostel type with either 2, 4 or 6 bedded rooms. We've stayed at several hostels as well as hiring a whole house. Marketed right and you'll do very well with lots of different groups incl bikers, on and off road, cyclists, on and off road (is it near any of the long distance routes such as LEJoG C2C etc?) and walkers...
FMFox

What do you Look for in a location for a weekend away on the bike

Post by FMFox »

I'm getting the impression that private rooms are important to many people on here.

However how many of you who have said that you like a private room actually use bunkhouse/ hostel style accommodation or are you more likely to stay in a bed and breakfast or hotel?

I personally prefer a private room but love the social side of using hostels.

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
Ravers

Post by Ravers »

My missus and her family own a pub with 12 bedrooms and a small hotel in the Lakes. It's a very different market to what you're looking at and we're much more geared up towards weddings and couple's weekends away.

Having said that there are still some valuable lessons that we've learned which might be handy for you.

We have a secure bike shed and a drying room which came as the result of customer feedback. We also have a washing machine and tumble dryer which guests may use if required. We get some bikers and cyclists as we are on one of the official coast 2 coast and JOG to Lands End routes.

Someone above mentioned a wood fired pizza oven. Good shout, we have one at the hotel and it's very popular, we've even done weddings where they have pizza as the main meal. Worth mentioning that it's only really good in the summer. We struggle to get it hot enough in winter and as soon as you take the pizza out it turns cold. You want something that can fit at least 6 pizzas at once to make it worth while.

Another thing that's been successful for us is an honesty bar at the hotel. There is a nice old drinks cabinet in the study. Someone stocks it up a couple of times a day and then the guests help themselves, simply writing down what they've had on a card.

When my bro in law originally mentioned this idea I thought he was mental, but to date no one has taken the piss with this and people seem to really like the relaxed nature of it. It obviously saves employing a barman.

Log burning stoves are an absolute must, fresh supply of logs so the guests can top them up themselves. Provide gloves and concise instructions / warning signs. Never underestimate the power of stupidity! Read our Tripadvisor reviews, loads of positive comments about the stoves. Amazing how much atmosphere they provide.

On the subject of Tripadvisor, be prepared for it to make or ruin your business. Treat every customer as if they're gonna write a review.

Nespresso machines are a good shout. We have a commercial deal where they supply and service the machines for free and we simply buy the capsules off them. Saves you the hassle of making loads of coffees all the time.

Depending on your location, think about installing a Home Office approved gun safe. The shooting market is a big one that is worth trying to tap into. You can also use the safe to store guest's valuables.

Consider whether you want to be dog friendly very carefully. We are, but we charge an additional fee based on previous experience of furniture getting trashed. For every dog owner you attract by being dog friendly, you may also put someone else off. We have areas of both the pub and hotel that dogs are allowed, with other areas which they aren't.

Hot tub, they're not that expensive to put in. It'll rarely get used, but it will add an extra string to your bow and make you stand out from your competitors. We have an outdoor pool, it rarely gets used but it elevates us to a higher league. Our market research has shown that people will book a place that has a pool because they percieve it to be a target indicator of a decent place.

On the wifi front, it's fine having a normal home setup where you simply supply the password to your guests, but you are missing out on loads of marketing potential. Set up a page where they have to provide an email address and opt in or out of your newsletter. It takes them a second and isn't really any hassle for them. You then build up your mailing list. A quarterly email newsletter promoting events, menu changes, live bands, special offers etc. isn't much work and it will spread the word quickly.

Good luck, sounds like a good idea!

Return to “THE PUB”