What do you Look for in a location for a weekend away on the bike

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mad Hatter

Re: What do you Look for in a location for a weekend away on the bike

Post by Mad Hatter »

I'm a camper so a cheap pitch, decent heated toilet block and maybe some fire pits. Decent and/or dirt cheap food and a bar with some decent lagers and I'm happy (thumbs)

I've stopped at a place in Hey on wye a couple of times that seems to have the right idea, they've got camping, dorms, small bunk rooms and twin and double rooms, although they've got lots of space.

As a general rule of thumb when I'm looking to go away on the bike I don't look a massive amount further than somewhere to put my tent for the night :whistle:
steve172

Post by steve172 »

Perhaps a dedicated "workshop area" with a selection of tools, lubes, grease, pumps and a work stand for cyclists perhaps with a small selection of generic spare parts for emergency repairs (last point really only applies to cyclists). Allowing guests to do any required maintenance.

Perhaps a bit much for "budget" accommodation.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I look for no one else (thumbs)

Hate dorms, don't particulary like sharing if I don't already know and prearranged with the other person.

All I want for a weekend away is a decent place to sleep as I will be out all day so don't really care for nice bars, a hot shower or bath a decent nose bag and a good kip (thumbs)

Mate if you really fancy doing it go for (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

This sounds like an interesting project Matt, I presume you've finished your trip then?

I noticed that your blog seemed to stop a while back.
one-legged adventurer
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

picos mestizo wrote:Well if you just cater for trail riders you'll miss an opportunity to capture the adventure tarmac riders which most on this site are.
Certainly wasn't refering to cruiser / sports bike riders who usually want hotels.
put the talons away. as i ride all of the mentioned bikes, if aim not camping, bus shelter, bunk house, doss house and the hotel well that hardly ever happens

steve
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

boboneleg wrote:This sounds like an interesting project Matt, I presume you've finished your trip then?

I noticed that your blog seemed to stop a while back.
Yes Bob we came back at end of last year. Liz wasnt enjoying anymore so came home. Yes I've just started to finish off the blog. I didnt feel like updating the blog after disappointment of coming home.

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Have a look at Llanerchindda's website for a business model; well known amongst the Trail Riding fraternity, they are fully booked most weekdays and weekends-quite a lot of Trail Riders and 4x4 people stay there, especially from Belgium where off-roading (ok I meant Green Laning ) is illegal. Guided rides usually have a large take-up (or at least facilitate marked maps and GPS routes showing trails). Having different things for non-riding /driving family members to do is quite important.

http://www.cambrianway.com/
moto al

Post by moto al »

image_2015-08-05-8.jpg
image_2015-08-05-8.jpg (99.29 KiB) Viewed 634 times
moto al
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

picos mestizo wrote:Maybe room for a fewv tents.
Located near Mountains or great riding roads(wales / Lake district etc.)
You need to cater for tarmac riders as there will be more of these than dedicated trail riders in the UK.
The place we're looking at has a decent sized garden. I think stage two will be converting it in to camping plots.

Yes agreed tarmac and non motorised cycles will make up a large part of the buisness plan.

FMFox

Post by FMFox »

Brenhden wrote:This is a great idea!

So a nice range then from the potential punters. Personally I don't mind about the accommodation, I'm happy to share. Guided ride outs, a well stocked bar, fancy burgers and wood fired pizza would make it heaven. Oh and a drying room.

Where are you looking?
Not looking at a specific location however the kind of infrastructure in the local area we are looking at limits possible areas to a few key areas of the country.

The first property we like doesn't have a trade kitchen so are having to factor the cost of building one into the plan

Guided ride outs - as long as insurance permits.

Return to “THE PUB”