Les Munro, the last Dambusters......

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
big al

Les Munro, the last Dambusters......

Post by big al »

Les Munro the last Dambuster pilot passed away yesterday in his homeland of New Zealand.
Farewell Les, one of life's true heroes.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://ww ... RQL6uTg9Og.
dazcapri

Re: Les Munro, the last Dambusters......

Post by dazcapri »

A real Hero who according to the reports today was still flying till last year at 95 years old
dazcapri

Post by dazcapri »

double post sorry :blush:
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

a debt owed by all rip

steve
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Interesting fact...

After the raid the Germans recovered enough information to enable the construction of their own bouncing bomb.

Someone pointed out that if they used the weapon on the same dam in the Peak District that had been used by the RAF for practice, then much of Sheffield could be wiped out.

It would do more damage to the UK than the original had done to Germany.

They hastily erected a load of poles and wires!
phillh

Post by phillh »

The last of a generation, I think there are only 2 surviving dam-buster aircrew left now.

I was an air cadet in the 1970's and we were privileged to be visited by one of the rear gunners who flew on the raid (I don't know his name). His Lancaster touched the water but did not crash (not sure if this was the mission of training for it) and his turret was flooded and he nearly drowned in it. Got back safely in the end though.

RIP Les Munro.
threepot

Post by threepot »

I think that was the incident when the bomb was ripped from the Lanc flying over the sea to the target?

Les's plane was hit by flack,and returned. Still a hero though (thumbs)
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

do you ever look at the scrotum hanging around shopping centers 18 years old and think these same kids all those years ago where doing stuff like this and look what we are stuck with now

steve
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Yep, 18 hours tuition: "there's your plane -off you go lad".

It only seems like yesterday that Harry Patch faded away, the last of the WW1 veterans; now there aren't that many of the WW2 veterans left. One of the last of the Few died last month
threepot

Post by threepot »

fullerton wrote:do you ever look at the scrotum hanging around shopping centers 18 years old and think these same kids all those years ago where doing stuff like this and look what we are stuck with now

steve
Thats what I think on a regular basis! And what did those guy's die,and risk their lives for,with the 'scumbags' living in this country now! :angry:

I was making a delivery to a pharmacy yesterday. This 'drugy' type had come out of a shop with a burger. I watched him throw the packaging on the floor,then he opened 2 sachets of sauce,and threw them on the floor,and he was standing next to a bin! :angry:

Return to “THE PUB”