Insurance excess protection?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
rodrigoscs

Post by rodrigoscs »

Can you get an excess protection for your insurance policy, that covers you when excess is not exceeded? :unsure:

My excess is £1000, so that means that if I need to make a claim, the only way to be fully protected, is if the damage is more than 1000! (with an excess protection)
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I really don't know but I don't agree with the way excess is implemented, if your excess is £500 then fair enough you can't claim under £500 but if the claim is over £500 then you should get the full amount, not the amount less £500.
You're either insured or you're not. Yes people will fix it so their claim is over the excess, I'm sure folk try to do that now. Add excess onto a claim.

Out on the floor.
K.T.F.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
JimboF650

Re: Insurance excess protection?

Post by JimboF650 »

and you'll only get your excess back if the insurance company can claim against a 3rd party (eg. own fault, fire or theft claims in most cases would be excluded - you'd have to pay your £1000, and wouldn't be able to claim excess protection)
Davy

Post by Davy »

I had to renew yesterday, and I had a whinge about the £500 excess (almost as an afterthought, as they'd already reduced the initial renewal quote by a lot) and they simply threw in 'excess protection' making excess effectively £200 - so it might be worth asking about (thumbs)
rodrigoscs

Post by rodrigoscs »

Yes, I also renewed yesterday. I'm with MCE for the last 3 years as they always did 15 months for the price of 12, £500 excess with an extra excess protection that would bring it down to 0. Although this year all those benefits have gone and the excess went up to 1000, but they only offer a part excess protection that would cover only half of the excess. I called a few companies, did a few comparisons on-line, and no-one came near the quote I got from MCE. From £1100 last year, it came down to £460!!
My second best quote was from Carol Nash - £1100!!!!
So now I just need to find a good excess protection policy, ideally one that covers if the damages are below the excess on my insurance policy! otherwise, I'll not be protected for anything less than £1000, which is still quite a lot of money!
Bloody insurance companies!! I hate this time of the year!! :angry:

Return to “THE PUB”