Wanker / Bitch...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
vacant_space

Re: Wanker / Bitch...

Post by vacant_space »

Arthur Pint Motor wrote:Not saying the OP did this + the silly cow's actions were outrageous, but when is filtering reasonable and when is it just "pushing in"?

Clearly it's legal and reasonable to filter if there is space to pass safely and space to fit into when pulling back in the lane, but what about when the rider has to force his/her way into too small a space at the front of the queue?
I did have a think afterwards, and I have filtered, um, a bit hastily in the past, but in this case you could see that the lights over a ways from the roundabout were on red. I was slowly filtering up to the roundabout itself, as there's no right turn, even though I'd have been in the right place to go over the roundabout when the lights changed, there was IMHO plenty room for me and a car at the junction, plus I'd be accelerated away in a lot faster time than the car at the front (the angry driver was a few cars back from the front) so I think it was a case of someone angry that I'd "cheated"... Of course, I'm biased though :)
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

It's usually the same drivers who try to close the gap when you're filtering as move over to the right to make overtaking a bit tighter if you're overtaking into oncoming traffic. They never delay me for long so I still give them a wave just the same as I would for someone who gives me extra space and tempted as I am I resist giving them the good old wanker sign because it'll only make them worse for the next rider and I'll still get home before them.

Life's too short to get worked up over a car driver getting a bit moody and I can always smile to myself when I think of them going on an internet forum to rant about bikes (thumbs)
vacant_space

Post by vacant_space »

Good call, Andy! I was fine about it at the time, just thought about it later at home and it wound me up ;)

I've had the odd pedestrian step out in front of me over the years, never felt the urge to run 'em over to bloody-well show 'em!

You're spot on about the car driver rants I'll bet :)
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Arthur Pint Motor

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

A couple of weeks ago I was on my MTB and overtook a long queue of stationary cars at a set of traffic lights - using the other side of the road. When I got the front, it was a fairly tight squeeze to fit in between the 1st car and the railings . I don't imagine the person in the 1st car was too impressed!!

I don't think I did anything illegal but with hindsight it was a bit "out of order".

I did wonder what would have happened if I'd done the same on the KLX250 but not been able to fit through the narrow gap at the end. I would most certainly have had to hope for a gap to open up and muscle my way in.

Is it legal to filter, when there's a good chance that there's no gap to slot into?
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Arthur Pint Motor wrote:Is it legal to filter, when there's a good chance that there's no gap to slot into?
There are no laws around filtering. But you could get done for careless driving if you do something stupid. To filter is essentially to overtake, so yes you SHOULD know what your "landing point" is before you start, but you can constantly update your riding plan with new landing points as you progress through the traffic queue. That landing point could be to stop between two stationary vehicles, if you will have a clear space to accelerate away into when the traffic starts moving again (i.e. waiting for a green traffic light). If you get stopped or have an accident whilst filtering, and you can't explain where your planned landing point was going to be, it's not going to help your case.

There is no such thing as a gap being too tight if it's only to get through one tight spot, there is only an appropriate speed to go through that tight spot. If it's more than just a tight spot, like the whole queue is that tight, or you'll have to force your way back into the queue of traffic, or you'll have to come to a stop and wait in that tight spot until things move again, then it's too tight and you shouldn't be filtering it.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Arthur Pint Motor

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

Thanks Ralph. That makes sense.

I just need to keep myself in check when I'm on the KLX. I'm actually a very cautious rider, but I'm so used to being able to squeeze into any gap on the MTB (which I spend a lot more time on).
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

I always have my little photocamera on the tank (stuck on velcro) to take pictures of inconsiderate drivers who endanger me on the road.
The best ones have a company name on their vehicle.
I'll take one or more pictures, look up the company and mail them my findings.
They usually reply with: Sorry this and that, won't happen again, we spoke to our driver etc.etc.

That'll make them think if they like to keep their job. (if they're bright enough... )

This was on the motorway in the Flatlands with the van already backed of. At one point he was only about 3 meters behind me at 65ish Mph.

It'll end in tears I tells ya.
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

thats why i always have the go pro on the helmet when going to work, is visible and people can see it and they useually back off

steve
chrisinflight

Post by chrisinflight »

I think these are the rules for filtering- feel free to correct them.
Illegal to cross solid white line or zig-zag lines. Illegal to filter after passing a no overtaking sign. Illegal to overtake the lead vehicle at a pedestrian crossing. And last but not least for guidance, I would,t filter when traffic moving more than 20mph.
2016 Beta 300rr- In the 2 stroke come-back club!

IainD

Post by IainD »

chrisinflight wrote:I think these are the rules for filtering- feel free to correct them.
Illegal to cross solid white line or zig-zag lines. Illegal to filter after passing a no overtaking sign. Illegal to overtake the lead vehicle at a pedestrian crossing. And last but not least for guidance, I would,t filter when traffic moving more than 20mph.
I don't think there are any special rules, just obey the normal rules as for any overtaking.

Traffic on the M8 into / out of Glasgow can be utter chaos in mornings and evenings, but you learn the places where you can filter, where to stop filtering as someone will (every day) go from outside to inside lane (sometimes without the twitch first) for a junction. And the worst being the tramlines on the filtering line where the joints have opened up.

When the road in unknown it the most dangerous.

I once "filtered" up the M6 for about 20 miles; on the coned off lane. No roadworks, just cones. I sometimes wonder about the legality of that, though don't remember any red X's.

Return to “THE PUB”