Log Burners

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
foley

Log Burners

Post by foley »

Is there anyone on here who knows about log burners? The Mrs is after one and we've had a couple of quotes, both seem ridiculously expensive. The main expense seems to be the new chimney, which will go straight up from the ground floor, through the upstairs bedroom and through the loft space, out onto the roof.

I remember reading a post on here a while ago re log burners and one of the replies was from a qualified hetas fitter. I've tried finding it in the archive but haven't come up with anything.
Hoggyf

Re: Log Burners

Post by Hoggyf »

I sell them for a living and glad to help, ask away, if you wan to PM the details and prices of the quotes I'll have a look and give you an opinion. I'm not personally Hetas register but all my fitters are and I'm a heating engineer so know the regs pretty well.
Basic rule, don't buy cheap Chinese stoves, and try to get a feel for the fitter or recommendations from previous customers, cheapest ain't always the best, oh and find a busy fitter! (thumbs)
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

GODIN (thumbs)
klr.it

Post by klr.it »

Hunter Herald multi fuel. (thumbs)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

foley wrote:Is there anyone on here who knows about log burners? The Mrs is after one and we've had a couple of quotes, both seem ridiculously expensive. The main expense seems to be the new chimney, which will go straight up from the ground floor, through the upstairs bedroom and through the loft space, out onto the roof.
They are big bucks if the chimney is complex, can you exit through a external wall and put up an insulated external flue pipe??
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

We're in the process of buying a new house and there's an open fireplace in one room which allegedly has a good chimney above it but has simply been capped at both ends and is still suitable for use with a log burner. Now I like log burners but my wife is very much against them because she reckons it'd be her who had to clean it every time it was used but the house is miles from anywhere and has a ready supply of wood to burn so it'd be a shame not to use it :whistle:
foley

Post by foley »

Thanks Hoggy, I'll pm you.

Mike
foley

Post by foley »

Unfortunately it's got to go inside the house.
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

Hoggyf wrote:I sell them for a living and glad to help, ask away, if you wan to PM the details and prices of the quotes I'll have a look and give you an opinion. I'm not personally Hetas register but all my fitters are and I'm a heating engineer so know the regs pretty well.
Basic rule, don't buy cheap Chinese stoves, and try to get a feel for the fitter or recommendations from previous customers, cheapest ain't always the best, oh and find a busy fitter! (thumbs)
I have no idea who Hoggy F is but listen to him!...DO NOT BUY CHINESE stuff- its false economy!
I bought a Chinese- "quite cheap"- but sexy stove...it was my 2nd stove after moving house & leaving the original (UK) one in.( I clean my chimney & but cost effectively)...3 years on..I have a UK one and the Chinese one is in my garage to heat bikes...utter shite!

get HETAS or check with the local auth's on if its a replacement....Sort out the "gap" between floors & dont skimp...especially if you intend to RENT.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

AndyB wrote:We're in the process of buying a new house and there's an open fireplace in one room which allegedly has a good chimney above it but has simply been capped at both ends and is still suitable for use with a log burner. Now I like log burners but my wife is very much against them because she reckons it'd be her who had to clean it every time it was used but the house is miles from anywhere and has a ready supply of wood to burn so it'd be a shame not to use it :whistle:
Stoves only need cleaned out occasionally,you're actually supposed to leave a base of ash to build up the heat! Because stoves are so efficient compared to an open fire they don't make much ash. (thumbs)

Return to “THE PUB”