GESTAPO style Jackboot Law Enforcement.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
V_King

Re: GESTAPO style Jackboot Law Enforcement.

Post by V_King »

every story have two sides, and I am sure there are a lot of info missed in the article to make headlines.

Whats more, to claim that you did not know that the licence needs to be updated when you are 70, is just ignorance - expiry dates are clearly stated, as well as on pasports etc.
""
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Crossrutted wrote:
Peirre wrote:
picos mestizo wrote:Perhaps he should have cried dementia
Dementia is one illness that requires you to inform both your insurer and DVLA of your diagnosis ASAP. Something your prompted to do by the consultant giving the diagnosis.

He probably forgot what the consultant said......
:unsure: :) :P :cheer: :lol: :laugh: :woohoo: :silly:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Philiptigerrice wrote:

The car was taken off the road for being uninsured and not driven by a licensed driver, who, at the age of 70 requires the backing of his Doctor, and to be able to prove his eyesite isn't failing. If he'd killed a Biker or written your bike off - we'd be screaming that he shouldn't have been on the road.
This is not the case that you need any backing. It's a mere paperwork exercise demanded by the DVLA. It may require you to supply a new photograph if the government departments don't have one less than 10 years old. This includes passport photos.
Lightness is everything.

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

picos mestizo wrote:
Philiptigerrice wrote:

The car was taken off the road for being uninsured and not driven by a licensed driver, who, at the age of 70 requires the backing of his Doctor, and to be able to prove his eyesite isn't failing. If he'd killed a Biker or written your bike off - we'd be screaming that he shouldn't have been on the road.
This is not the case that you need any backing. It's a mere paperwork exercise demanded by the DVLA. It may require you to supply a new photograph if the government departments don't have one less than 10 years old. This includes passport photos.
unless the law has changed you require a Dr to sign to say your fit to drive, yes usually is a paper exercise but....

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 1-000.html

"Research from LV= car insurance shows that one in seven drivers does not know their licence expires after ten years and one in six has absolutely no idea when their licence runs out.

One in 12 drivers admits they have not renewed their photo-card for at least a decade and are therefore driving without a valid licence. Although the DVLA recommends a fine of £1,000 for those caught driving with an invalid licence the police have the discretion to fine what they see fit.
Since 2010 some 734,000 drivers have been caught driving with an out-of-date licence and have paid out £41million in fines, averaging around £56 a time.

The ten-year photocard licences will become mandatory in 2015 when the paper licences are officially phased out. A quarter of drivers are still using the old-style paper licences"

So of the 20 odd people posting in this thread, statistically at least 1 or 2 of us have an out of date license.

Somebody posted a few days ago that they have never had a photocard and are still using the old green piece of paper. Statistically that's 5 people on this thread.

Hmmm, I'd better go and check mine, it live in my wallet and I use it for ID, but I never look at it. I'd better check if my passport will still be valid when I go on holiday in 6 weeks time too.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Redmurty wrote:
picos mestizo wrote:
Philiptigerrice wrote:

unless the law has changed you require a Dr to sign to say your fit to drive, yes usually is a paper exercise but....

cheers Spud ;)
No you don't. you can do it online if your licence or passport picture is under 10 years old. Health is a tick box self assesment.
Lightness is everything.

Peirre

Post by Peirre »

A driver does not need a doctor to sign them off as fit to drive when the reach 70.
DVLA send out a form around 2-3 months before their birthday asking if they wish to renew, if they do wish to renew, the form is a simple tick box excercise declaring that they have no mental impairment or defective eyesight.
The same answers can be completed online as long as you have the drivers details. The process is repeated 5 years later. Having done this (online) for my father at 70 & 75 and more recently when he approached his 80th when he was diagnosed with dementia when it was decided to revoke his licence.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Peirre wrote:A driver does not need a doctor to sign them off as fit to drive when the reach 70.
DVLA send out a form around 2-3 months before their birthday asking if they wish to renew, if they do wish to renew, the form is a simple tick box excercise declaring that they have no mental impairment or defective eyesight.
The same answers can be completed online as long as you have the drivers details. The process is repeated 5 years later. Having done this (online) for my father at 70 & 75 and more recently when he approached his 80th when he was diagnosed with dementia when it was decided to revoke his licence.
Yes but renewal is every 3 years.
They are thinking of moving the first age related renewal to 80 years old.
Lightness is everything.

gland

Post by gland »

this guy has no sympathy from me. He would have had a reminder firstly. Then getting pulled and his car taken should have motivated him sufficiently top sort it out. He could have got a licenced driver with insurance to collect it and chose not to.
My guess is he is an arsehole who thinks he knows better. He sorted his licence out and has another car now and is probably loving all the attention and the fact he can shed any responsibility for his own stupidity.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

gland wrote:this guy has no sympathy from me. He would have had a reminder firstly. Then getting pulled and his car taken should have motivated him sufficiently top sort it out. He could have got a licenced driver with insurance to collect it and chose not to.
My guess is he is an arsehole who thinks he knows better. He sorted his licence out and has another car now and is probably loving all the attention and the fact he can shed any responsibility for his own stupidity.
Daily Mail probably bought him a brand new Aston. :whistle:
Lightness is everything.

Return to “THE PUB”