The Best Place For a Biker To Live In Britain?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Spike941

Re: The Best Place For a Biker To Live In Britain?

Post by Spike941 »

Not the sort of topic I would normally post on, nor am I one to blow my own trumpet, but assuming the question incorporates the entire spectrum of the biker world, then it has to be the Cotswolds. The UK's largest Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, we have fast roads, slow roads, twisty roads, bumpy roads, off roads, hilly roads and a road that leads straight to the Welsh mountains if that's your thing. As for getting further afield, then the ferry ports to Spain, Ireland and France are all around the 2 hour mark. There is a road that leads up north, but as it normally rains up that road, no body really uses it. I live within a short walk of milk, stamps and beer, and 24hour petrol stations all within 10 to 15 miles in each direction, even north.
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

Redsoul wrote:
Now live in deepest darkest Wiltshire which Is another great county for biking.
The thread is not about the biking roads where you live. The whole country has got roads. Places with fantastic roads and fantastic mud tracks are two a penny but they also have their fair share of dreadful roads, too... Even Yorkshire.

The OP was about living, as he viewed it, in the middle of England as being the perfect spot. The middle gave him access to everything; which I assume means that he'd ruled out living in Wales, Scotland, Cornwall or even Wiltshire (as they are not the middle of anything) though he did cast covetous eyes on the south east, not surprisingly. :laugh:
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

OK Norfolk...I don't like it, lived here for about 5 years and if wasn't for the wife I would move back to Lancashire in a heartbeat.
You need to drive or ride for an hour just to get on a decent road out of here. The coast road to Cromer/Wells/Hunstanton is so full of farmers mud and sh*% its a death trap.
I think now of riding around Lancashire and Yorkshire and it seems like a dream. At least its warmer down here and the house prices are cheap.
However I lived in Spain near Almeria a while ago and the coast road around Almeria is from a movie set (literally, they filmed a James Bond car chase on that coastal road)It's always dry, warm and great roads everywhere. So that would be my choice again.
Might have to leave the wife....
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
Redsoul

Post by Redsoul »

Wapping wrote:
Redsoul wrote:
Now live in deepest darkest Wiltshire which Is another great county for biking.
The thread is not about the biking roads where you live. The whole country has got roads. Places with fantastic roads and fantastic mud tracks are two a penny but they also have their fair share of dreadful roads, too... Even Yorkshire.

The OP was about living, as he viewed it, in the middle of England as being the perfect spot. The middle gave him access to everything; which I assume means that he'd ruled out living in Wales, Scotland, Cornwall or even Wiltshire (as they are
not the middle of anything) though he did cast covetous eyes on the south east, not surprisingly. :laugh:
I know exactly what the OP was about Wapping so please refrain from pointing out the obvious and stop being an argumentative twat.
scoobydidler

The Best Place For a Biker To Live In Britain?

Post by scoobydidler »

Was that malham i spotted johnny? Used to work on the farm at the end of the road up and out of malham village.
And was it stalling busk i recognised?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Wales! Loads of Trails, just over the water from Ireland, North , South or Mid-they've all got real highlights for bikers; the only down side: getting to Dover is 5 hours of mind-numbing, boring hell!
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

PaulinBont wrote:Wales! ...... the only down side: getting to Dover is 5 hours of mind-numbing, boring hell!
Four hours from London going the other way.... No wonder France is popular :)
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

Redsoul wrote:
I know exactly what the OP was about...
Great and we've all discovered it's not Wiltshire at all. It's Yorkshire ;)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Wapping, Lancashire is in the middle of Britain.....Not England.
In fact the centre point of gravity of mainland Britain is Blackburn.
Most regions have something to offer, so for me Lancashire has to be on the shortlist for best places to live as a biker. As we're right in the middle of things.
We've got some great biking roads and lovely countryside within our county. North Yorkshire generally is a fantastic biking county, but it's on my doorstep at about 15 miles away.
The only disadvantage with living in the middle is it's a bit of a haul to get through the boring South on route to mainland Europe. :whistle:
Edit....The Cotswolds would be nice!
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

It's good there's so many happy people on here.Five pages in and I think I'm the only person who said I DON'T live in the best place for a biker in Britain,but then again if the best thing about where you live is that you can get out of it easily,maybe I do! :laugh:

Return to “THE PUB”