Is this a bit tight? Or is it just me?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
TomBoyNI

Is this a bit tight? Or is it just me?

Post by TomBoyNI »

I went today to the local BMW Motorrad dealer as I needed 3 6mm screws that hold the chain guard onto the swing arm.

So they were only a couple of quid, but it is a 60 mile round trip for me to the garage so I said to the guy, 'sure can you throw a couple of quid onto it there and stick them in the post to be delivered to me when they come in, it'll save me a trip down?'

'Aye no bother.'

Boom... £2 postage added.

Now I get that I did suggest it, but come on, does no one get a throw away comment?

A first class stamp will cover these monstrosities of screws surely, all three of them!

You'd think that with the prices they are charging you throughout your terms of bike ownership you'd get the courtesy of a stamp once or twice if required.

Think of the amount of junk mail that they spew out every year, I'd be happy not to receive that if it saved them a few precious quid that they could spend on a customer's actual needs.

On the other side of the customer service spectrum I also drive a Mini (obviously also BMW group), and I don't cut hair B) , their customer service can not be faulted (at least my experiences from my local garage) - Each time I have went to them I have been brilliantly treated, the one issue I had was met with an immediate courtesy car, and the promise of a phone call that would be asap, but that they were very busy at the moment.

Less than 2 hours later I was getting my motor back with an apology for the issue and delay!

Finally I walk into Mini and almost every member of staff know that my name is Tommy.

BMW, the one person that recognises me calls me 'Tim.'

Anyway rant over, just found it a bit cheap from them this morning!
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
DaveCon

Re: Is this a bit tight? Or is it just me?

Post by DaveCon »

Strikes me as tight charging you for 3 6mm bolts in the first place. Especially if you are known to them. Mind you I once got charged for a photocopy of a cooling system arrangement by a Honda dealer :angry: Nothing's free. Were the bolts a special design that you needed to get them from BMW and not a hardware shop?
Geekay

Post by Geekay »

know what you are saying - the BMW car side of the equation (I've driven BMW's for years now - and my wife car also) - is spot on from the customer care perspective - they know how to speak to you, how to make coffee, how to make services painless - but there is nothing - absolutely NOTHING to be had for free from them!

unless they cock up that is-

My wife had a mini when they first came out - when it went for her first service she must have been "last minute" to go get it and they had locked it inside the garage behind a number of other cars - they asked if she would mind coming back tomorrow rather than the arduous task of moving them all our to get hers out - which wasn't a problem in the slightest (she had a loan car after all) - but when she went back the next day they had a rucksack full of Mini branded car care goodies (must have been close to £100 worth) for her "for the inconvenince".
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Williams in Manchester have posted stuff to me FoC, so it must be down to the individual BMW dealer.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Rich1960

Post by Rich1960 »

I bought an OEM chain for my varadero from a honda dealer, stupidly I didn't check the length, put it on the bike and riveted it up, I then realised it was 8 links too long, removed soft link, removed 8 links and then needed a new soft link, back on to honda dealer, explained the error, but mentioned that I had a bought a bike specific part, they ordered a new soft link list price is £10 ish.....went to collect it and was given it gratis with an apology for not telling me to check the length....a happy customer and will go back.
Varadero 1000

CRM250AR

XT225
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Much as I dislike car dealerships I usually find them to be a lot more helpful than bike ones. My car had a window that wasn't closing the last 10mm and because I'm away all week getting it fixed but the local dealership told me to drop a spare set of keys though their door then they picked it up, repaired it and dropped it back on my drive.

Compare that to my local Kawasaki dealer who told me I couldn't buy a replacement soft link for the chain on my bike after I had to cut the old one to get the swinging arm off. They insisted that it wasn't a stock part and I had to buy a complete new chain so I walked out, went on the internet and had the genuine Kawasaki part arrive in the post 2 days later. Needless to say I've never been back.
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

kin el, where am i going wrong, all i get is hello dave my real names steve, dont know why but i get that over the phone for years. hi dave is you wallet open and thats before do you want a coffee.

steve
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

My local dealer offered to refit my Ohlins spring to my rear shock...as they had the correct tool..I took the shock in and 2 minutes later the spring was fitted....' What do I owe you? ' says I as it's the polite thing to do......'let's call it a tenner ' he said......so I paid up...serves me right for asking .....
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

It's just as well you don't own a Triumph then.World of Triumph will charge £5 postage even if it's for one washer! :pinch:
Toe

Post by Toe »

DaveCon wrote:Strikes me as tight charging you for 3 6mm bolts in the first place. Especially if you are known to them. Mind you I once got charged for a photocopy of a cooling system arrangement by a Honda dealer :angry: Nothing's free. Were the bolts a special design that you needed to get them from BMW and not a hardware shop?
The dealer has paid to stock the specific item from BMW, regardless of whether it is a generic bolt or not. People usually go to a dealer because they know the part will be the right size, length, pitch, correct shoulder size, etc and it's zero hassle regarding doing your own research. If you're that well known they might have a look in (and everywhere I've worked has one) the 'leftovers' box of discarded and assorted bolts.
Charging for a photocopy is cheeky though. I always copy or email things like that without charge.

Postage will be charged by anyone apart from certain circumstances. It in effect covers the cost of the postage and packaging and of course a small bit of profit. For example, amazon marketplace books that cost 1p will have £2.50 p&p and this is where they make the money as it doesn't cost that to pack and post it at all. I guess I just see it as one of the little things that makes the world go round.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM

Return to “THE PUB”