Solo bikers touring

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Bonniebird

Re: Solo bikers touring

Post by Bonniebird »

Chas, what's the name of your B&B? Then we all know to avoid it like the plague B)
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

If you can't cope with, or don't want passing trade, put a 'No Vacancies' sign up..!
I've toured on my own both in Britain and in Europe (yeah I know....) but have never been turned away from a nights stop, you sound like a very inhospitable person, someone asked where your place is, let us know so that we can avoid it....
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Orlando_Orange wrote:Chas if you don't have much patience, sympathy or tolerance, then maybe running a B and B isn't for you??

We've been doing it successfully for 20 years, my wife keeps me under control

also if you truly can't accept passing trade then don't accept it. but you did accept passing trade with this fellow so you shouldn't treat him like you don't want him there...

Didn't, tried our best to welcome him but the hot water wasn't turned on which takes a couple of hours to heat up and I was away working on site and needed to tidy the garage/barn a bit so he could easily get his bike in - both of these things seemed to annoy him. Couldn't do him much of an evening meal because we weren't prepared, he didn't like anything French including the beer, wine, food etc.. And I didn't mention the War once!

minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

surprising coming from a biker

for example ive just done 24 days to north africa and back via the picos ..and ive another 18 days to slovakia via germany swiss and austria soon
throw in a dab of dolomites and a touch france on the way back ..

total accomadation reserched for 40 days motorcycling ...err none ..
total accomadation prebooked ...err none

how the hell do i know about the weather ..a puncture
a place i like and may want to stay another night
a single track may set me back half a day if i fancy it
..may be a place i want to stay
... may not want to ...
.cant be proper sure how time and distance pad out .and dont want to
i dont give a shit ..its not a job .. im on me holidays riding me bike
hell i havnt even got a fixed route ..
if its late and closing in a bit i stop and ask somone .. and they direct you towards town or village with a hotel or b and b ...
lets hope its not yours
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

minkyhead wrote:surprising coming from a biker

for example ive just done 24 days to north africa and back via the picos ..and ive another 18 days to slovakia via germany swiss and austria soon
throw in a dab of dolomites and a touch france on the way back ..

total accomadation reserched for 40 days motorcycling ...err none ..
total accomadation prebooked ...err none

how the hell do i know about the weather ..a pucture a place i may want to stay another night ..a place i may not want to .... how time and distance pad out
hell i havnt even got a fixed route ..
if its late closing in a bit i stop and ask somone .. and they direct you towards a band b ...
lets hope its not yours
I accept we get less business by not taking passing trade. There's always plenty of places that do.

I'm sure anyone on here who runs there own business will appreciate that it is very difficult to be all things to all people all of the time.
davsato

Post by davsato »

i kind of see your point, to a point. if he hates france why is he there? you get some funny buggers anywhere but i agree with some of the others, your rant is a bit general, and your advertising style could do with a brush up if you expect any trade on here? :)

this is why when im alone i get an impersonal hotel room, france is great and the people are generally very good folks but after an often hard days riding im not used to and good naturedly trying to understand and be understood, working out menus, what card is going to work in the pumps today, all things foreign etc sometimes i want to kick back, read an english mag or book and want everyone to sod off and leave me alone with some peace and quiet. if i want a chat i will go find a bar full of locals.

some people feel if they see you on your own you must need someone to talk to and just cant leave you alone. the sort of people who cant ignore a ringing phone.
Dave
numptyspence

Post by numptyspence »

One of the most enjoyable ways to travel is just set off and see where you end up. You cant always prebook. I can understand why you are not happy with a little extra income he obviously must have either got your details from the website or by referal from a past guest.

As for the smoking i don’t but others do, I agree with you that you cant break that rule but really what was the harm in him asking ?

I think you need to put a sign up that says im a bit grumpy stay at your own peril
koala

Post by koala »

I'm with numpty. Surely the beauty of travelling and touring is not knowing where you will be the next day. I've never pre-booked any form of accomodation in France or anywhere else in Europe for that matter and we have stayed in some fantastic and varied hotels, B&B's and campsites and always been made very welcome.

This guy needs to put up a sign saying ' Victor Meldrew lives here, grumpy sods welcome' oh, as long as you've booked. Personally i would steer well clear!
Hutchie

Post by Hutchie »

Spot on Minky.

I rarely set off with a destination in mind, I just stop somewhere. Just stop wherever, give them my toothless grin , and have had a great time that way.
I canny stand the thought of booking in somewhere if I was away by myself (often) , and would like to think you're place is better and friendlier than you are making it sound.

Orra best with it, just maybe put a sign up saying sorry, no vacancies. Then you can avoid surprises.
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Definately not touting for business on here. Chose to post here because it seemed a more UK based forum although can't say what the logic behind that was.

Pre-booking seems to be an issue for most people on here. I can't change that.

I have to say that most bikers who pre-book are absolutely manic about security. They park their bikes in my garage and put the alarms and shackle locks on and I give them the only key so I have to ask them when I want to get my bike out. They don't seem to notice that all the other vehicles outside the barn are left open with their keys in. Horses for courses I guess, if you are concerned that your bike is secure every night it is probably safer to pre-book although we find most hotels in France have free garage parking for bikes anyway.

And I'm not grumpy - much.

Return to “THE PUB”