First Ski holiday

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
akceller8

Re: First Ski holiday

Post by akceller8 »

Be fussy with boot fitting!! Well fitting boots ache after a day oun the slopes so don't settle for ill fitting ones that will cripple you in ten minutes. Its one of the biggest reasons i prefer snowboarding.
Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time!!
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

First time:

Don't buy - rent;
Get an instructor;
Do not give up after first day skiing --> next day pain in the morning !
Good warm-up / stretching;
I agree with some fitness / cardio / core / legs preparation at home 2-3 weeks before your trip;

And the last thing...go snowboarding anyway !!!

Be careful with drinking alcohol when on slope (don't know about Bulgaria) but Italy/Austria/France etc;

When you crash onto somebody the police /guards etc have right to breathalyse you and if it shows something you're fu**ed !!

Anyway, a beer in the sunshine is very nice!!!!

Have some fun.

I am going to Italy next week for our annual 7day skiing/snowboarding - love it !!!
scooby

Post by scooby »

Got to agree with gdog, learn on the slopes it's all part of the fun!
Don't get all tense stay loose and enjoy! It's great when you get the hang of it.
When your doing those big carving turns you will have forgotten the initial tumbles.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

scooby wrote: Don't get all tense stay loose and enjoy! It's great when you get the hang of it.
When your doing those big carving turns you will have forgotten the initial tumbles.
This is totally true, skis or board once you get the hang of the big loping turns it feels amazing. Its a bit like bouncing between puddles on a dirt bike when the suspension and the speed and bumps are queued up just right :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

My best advice is don't get too liquered up the night before. I once found my hangover reverted back to full blown inebriated at the top of a run :blink:

Enjoy it tis good fun, it's all about balance, control & conquering fear the first few runs. Bit like green laning on a 250kg dual sport :laugh:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Been to Bulgaria a few times..
Make sure the boots are comfy and good fit, don't accept them if not it can ruin the week. Bung the fitter some cash for a new pair always worked for me.
Take some compeed for any rubbing if the above fails.

I have fond memories of good steaks and chopska salads.

Nastrave=Cheers

Have a good one :0)
chubbyhooker

Post by chubbyhooker »

A couple of mates & me bought an appartment in Bansko, had some great nights out in Bansko, the lessons are reasonably cheap as is renting all the gear, we only had lessons for a day, the instuctors advice was to have a couple of beers first so we would be a little more ralaxed, he clearly doesn't know us, i vaughly remember going straight accross the germans instructors ski's & my mate sliding under the fence onto the black run........Good times!!

Return to β€œTHE PUB”