Motorcycle live NEC 2014 Honda fan perspective

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Hi all,
Fiona and myself decided to go take a look at this new prototype Honda Africa Twin at the NEC last weekend, I took a few pics so thought I'd share my thoughts on the new bike and the show in general with you folks.
We flew down from Inverness to Birmingham on the Friday and stayed for the weekend in the Premier Inn. The NEC is easy walking distance from the hotel, even in the rain it wasn't too bad!
The door we went in took us past the Comicon show which was full of the weirdest characters you could imagine! There were plenty scantily clad ladies to ensure I walked into several people gazing in awe! LOL! Fiona of course thought it funny to ask for me to be accosted by a group of Star Wars fanatics! Bloody weirdo's! All good fun though!
Bloodyweirdos.jpg
Bloodyweirdos.jpg (33.11 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

At the door of the bike show we met up with Hudders, Russ, Mica and Cath who put up with us for the whole day!
First stand was the new Norton. I had a seat on one and thought it a nice machine for a day bike but at £17k I think it'll have to wait!
Russ took me to see the new Triumph Tigers but I wasn't overly impressed by them. Just a few mods to keep an old model selling until something new comes along.

On to the main event for me, the Honda UK stand. The usual sportsbikes and soft roaders were on display, the Fireblade always makes me drool, just love those HRC colours too. The softroaders did very little for me really. I did enjoy their coffee and cupcakes while watching their floor show with a group of dancers, very polished and professional looking!
The main attraction for me was the ramp with the CRF450, NXR800 and the all new Adventure bike from Honda! I spent a long time taking in all the small details and the bike looks well sorted. The frame is pressed steel so not the finished article as they are using an alloy one on the finished one. The rear brake pedal looks a bit of an afterthought made of alloy, obviously not so good if you drop the bike but it may be changed on the finished article. The Showa suspension looks pretty trick and should be easily set up for all conditions. The new parallel twin 1000 motor looks complicated but further investigation is required. The one on show is a DCT model with no clutch or gear pedal but I'm told a manual version is expected. BUT,, what do I think? WELL,,,I can't wait to see it in HRC colours and sitting on my driveway!
Hondastand.jpg
Hondastand.jpg (226.74 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Meandmynewbike.jpg
Meandmynewbike.jpg (74.87 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

No other bikes really took my attention, just same old, same old.

I did have a good look at the Honda Civic race car that was there, nothing to do with the firm young woman who posed in the photo with me honest!
NiceTypeR.jpg
NiceTypeR.jpg (72.28 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

Fiona as usual, enjoyed her time trying smaller bikes, I think she's well in love with the little Monkey bike!
Fionaandmemonkey.jpg
Fionaandmemonkey.jpg (43.76 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

Special thanks to Hudders, Russ, Mica and Cath for spending an enjoyable day with us.

Any way, a good day was had by all and there's a few pics to give you an idea of the atmosphere.
TT.jpg
TT.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
A good show, plenty to see and try, a long way down for us from NE Scotland but worth it to see my new Africa Twin! (Mr Honda knew very little about it and kept going on "it's NOT an Africa Twin, it's a prototype") his favourite phrase was, "you seem to know more about it than I do!" What's new? DOH!
Honda, the power of dreams.
Rhys

Re: Motorcycle live NEC 2014 Honda fan perspective

Post by Rhys »

Do you have any more pictures of the NXR800?
africajim

Post by africajim »

Sorry Rhys, I did have a good look around it too but didn't take enough pics of it!
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

Hi Jim. I was there Thursday and for me also the bike of the show was the Africa Twin prototype which will I am sure be adorning my driveway ( in DCT guise) just as soon as it's on sale, what a lovely looking and well sorted bit of kit it is. Also I was taken by the BMW R NineT which if I had one would be the 2nd bike for those sunny Sunday morning blats around the countryside ;-)
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Hi Jim,
Bloodyweirdos.jpg
Bloodyweirdos.jpg (33.11 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Bloody brilliant! Made me laugh out loud.

One question - which one is Fiona? :P

Paul :)
africajim

Post by africajim »

Are you insinuating Fiona's as hairy as a wookie? Tee hee! You'll get a slap next time she sees you! LOL!
africajim

Post by africajim »

cozmo1589 wrote:Hi Jim. I was there Thursday and for me also the bike of the show was the Africa Twin prototype which will I am sure be adorning my driveway ( in DCT guise) just as soon as it's on sale, what a lovely looking and well sorted bit of kit it is. Also I was taken by the BMW R NineT which if I had one would be the 2nd bike for those sunny Sunday morning blats around the countryside ;-)
I'm going to ride them back to back mate and decide on the day. I'm a manual transmission kind of guy but I will seriously consider the DCT this time round.
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

africajim wrote:
cozmo1589 wrote:Hi Jim. I was there Thursday and for me also the bike of the show was the Africa Twin prototype which will I am sure be adorning my driveway ( in DCT guise) just as soon as it's on sale, what a lovely looking and well sorted bit of kit it is. Also I was taken by the BMW R NineT which if I had one would be the 2nd bike for those sunny Sunday morning blats around the countryside ;-)
I'm going to ride them back to back mate and decide on the day. I'm a manual transmission kind of guy but I will seriously consider the DCT this time round.
Well DCT or not its sure to be a fantastic bike mate. I'll probably have DCT as I've had both my Crosstourers in that spec and I'm totally converted now but I'll take an Africa Twin as a manual if need be ;-)
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

Yep, I think that will be my next bike, with manual transmission and in red please Mr Honda!
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper

Return to “THE PUB”