Recomendations for a tablet like an Ipad

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
AndyB

Re: Recomendations for a tablet like an Ipad

Post by AndyB »

I've got an Asus Nexus 7 that I stopped using because it just seemed like hard work and I replaced it with an iPad mini which is better in every way you can think of. My son has a Kindle Fire which seems like a really nice tablet and is very intuitive to use, my daughter has a Galaxy something which to me isn't as good as either the Kindle Fire of the iPad mini but she loves it so all I can suggest is sit down and spend an hour with each of them rather than going by what you see on a website of in PC World.

I hate so called expert reviews where they quote processor speed and memory capacity that the majority will never use when all most of us want is a fast start up and an easy to use tablet.
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

I use a Kindle Fire HD at home for browsing which is ok, but many videos (youtube) can be temperamental.
I use a Lenovo Yoga android tablet for work which is ok if you can understand android.
I notice that iPad mini2 are reduced as the new iPad mini3 has been launched... tempting.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

The iPad mini is ace. Good battery life and once you work out which way to hold it to avoid posting upside down pictures the camera is pretty good as well.

I've not sussed out which way to hold it yet but as long as I don't die of a heart attack because of worrying about it that's not a big deal.
APD_660Ten

Post by APD_660Ten »

My views on most already mentioned....

Ipad Mini/ipad. The premium price but "just works option" cracking kit but apple tend to assume they know what everyone want to do and they are not always right.

Galaxy S3/4 and or Sony experia. Cheaper than the apple but will do everything as well. Tend to have a slightly techier edge than the apple kit. I really like that you have more than one button on a device. Menu, home, back. Not just home. Adroid v apple users will know what I mean.

Hudle. Cracking value no restrictions pretty much as above with a few less size options.

Kindle fire HD/HDX etc. Fantastic hardware platform. Why did amazon reatrict it's potential. Works somewhere between an ipad an a galaxy. Android platform but amazon have their software on it which simplifies it to the 'just works' level. You get a limited appstore on a product that could support the full appstore.

Surface. The emerging underdog. The latest pro platform is a full blown windows pc in a tablet! The mid levels are quite restrictive in comparison to any of the above. But if you own a house with an xbox and media pc they fit in well.

Battery... in best first order....

Apple
Kindle/galaxy/huddle
Surface

As said. Depends what you prefer. For me

Love the ipad; hate my iphone, love my galaxy, frustrated by my surface, daughter loves her galaxy but wants an iphone, wife misses her iphone now she has a galaxy. Dad loves the kindle but not in the sun, mum likes my sisters old iphone 3. Not sure if I can add owt else.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
skipper

Post by skipper »

I got a lenovo yoga 10 and was very impressed with it , best thing was the battery life they say on their add up to 18hrs and not far wrong , biggest problem with it was it will not stand a drop on to concrete from seat height without breaking the screen. I did this test specially for abr members looking for a tab.
sven

Post by sven »

We've tried several Android tablets in our house, but keep going back to Apple. The iPad Mini 2 is good value at the moment.

I wouldn't buy anything with a 7" screen as they're like using a phone. The extra inch makes a big difference (ooer missus :P ).

I was very impressed with the screen of the Galaxy Tab S when I was looking at them in a Best Buy store in the States, but my wife talked me out of buying one as she knows I don't like Android (although I use an S4 phone as it was cheap)
ratass

Post by ratass »

Asus (who make the google nexus)memo ,or the kindle have both,battery on the kindle is good .
Jon
g00ner

Post by g00ner »

If you decide on an Ipad this looks a steal - £150 for an Ipad mini (thumbs)

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/apple-i ... ee-2064845

Or this

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-g-pa ... hn-2064603
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

cheers all for the advice (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

I echo gOOner's advice, a quality bit of gear from a quality retailer. Direct link for ordering, special offer only available Black Friday (today) http://www.johnlewis.com/apple-ipad-min ... p231800434
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase

Return to “THE PUB”