Not all XT's are Tenere's!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
-Ralph-

Not all XT's are Tenere's!

Post by -Ralph- »

This seems a really obvious thing to post, and I'm really going to stick an boiled egg in grannys mouth and be patronising, but it seems it needs to be said.

I am continually reading on this forum how the obvious thing to compare a CCM, AJP, KTM Enduro, etc against is a Tenere. You mention the letters XT and everyone assumes your talking about a Tenere.

What a load of crock!

The Tenere weighs 206 kg wet, it's covered in plastic bodywork, has a comfy seat and loads of room for a pillion, a nice fairing and screen for wind and weather protection, a close fitting front mudguard to keep the spray off wet tarmac down, it's bloody massive, and it's basically been built to target the soft roader adventure bike market, that's Transalps, V-Stroms, F650/F800, etc, and despite what it may pretend to be, it's a ROAD bike!

The KTM Enduro, CCM, AJP, etc are OFF ROAD bikes.

Yamaha build an off road version of the XT. I'm sure everyone knows this but they seem to keep forgetting. :whistle:

It's called the XT 660 R

It's 25kg lighter and £1500 quid cheaper.

It looks like this

They also do one of these with supermoto wheels and it's called the XT 600 X!

Hope that's now everybody educated in the XT 660 model range! (thumbs)

Big smiley as the topic icon, tongue firmly in cheek, have a nice day everyone!

B)
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Redmurty

Re: Not all XT's are Tenere's!

Post by Redmurty »

Have been looking at these but I would want some sort of fairing on it a Rally Raid for arguments sake

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

They are not brilliant at anything, but they are pretty good at everything, they are a compromise bike, but a true all-rounder. It'll go greenlaning as happily as it takes me 75 miles round trip to work every day, or with minimal mods you could jump on one and head off RTW.

Damn good value too, lot of bike for the money

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 215978584/
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Post by Gas_Up_Lets_Go »

-Ralph- wrote:
The Tenere weighs

<snip>

basically been built to target the soft roader adventure bike market, that's Transalps, V-Stroms, F650/F800, etc, and despite what it may pretend to be, it's a ROAD bike!
That really is a load of tosh.
Mistakes are natures way of showing us we have more to learn
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Redmurty wrote:I would want some sort of fairing on it a Rally Raid for arguments sake

cheers Spud ;)
http://www.off-the-road.de/XT-660/Bodyw ... T-660.html

Lot of money for the looks though, you get some pretty good touring screens for about 60-70 quid that would give you more protection than that fairing, and my sat nav mounts on a standard RAM mount here, I have a phone holder that mounts on the crossbar for my phone to use Memory Map but that's on my mountain bike at the moment, obviously I don't need the road book holder LOL

bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Gas_Up_Lets_Go wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:
The Tenere weighs

<snip>

basically been built to target the soft roader adventure bike market, that's Transalps, V-Stroms, F650/F800, etc, and despite what it may pretend to be, it's a ROAD bike!
That really is a load of tosh.
gotta agree with gulg
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The XT 660's whatever model are bikes you get when you are still making your mind up as to what you really want. They'll never be your final biking destination, but you'll always remember yours with fondness.
They are like Labradors, everyone kinda likes them.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

They are like Labradors, everyone kinda likes them.

Well thats me fcuked ..............i have Jack Russels :laugh:
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

Ralph are you getting upset that people are down onna bike you are quite fond of??

Pot kettle black??

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
Zappa

Post by Zappa »

What an utterly ridiculous post!

Do you think we are all stupid! Of course we know the difference between a Z R and an X and to say the Z is a soft roader is just madness.

Ride what you like and like what you ride, that's all that matters! I can't stand these posts that try and condemn other riders choices..
I feel beneath the white there is a red skin suffering from centuries of taming.

Return to “THE PUB”