Insuring bike kept in council garage

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveR

Re: Insuring bike kept in council garage

Post by SteveR »

My two bikes are stored in a high security steel container, double locked and alarmed. However, as Insurers do not recognise it as a garage, I have my cover based on off-road parking but with Thatcham approved lock on the bikes. 20p premium as I recall.

I asked for the definition of a garage and was told it would be a brick or concrete building, possibly timber, but needed to be noted. Door and lock on said garage was not mentioned..... :unsure:

I wonder if the Insurer will ask for details of the garage to the OP??
doberso

Post by doberso »

No, that is nonsense. The area cannot exist without a postal code. It not possible. Imagine a certain city. They take a whole city and split it into areas. And each area is given its own postal code. So your garage will have the same code as the area it is based in. You may find your area in the general database postcodefinder.net/. So you can easily check it the zip code yourself and add it to the address.
Last edited by doberso on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

A year or so ago (can't remember dates well) legislation was passed to not allow insurance companies to avoid payment if the technicality has no bearing on the claim, in other words if someone plows into you whilst your waiting at the lights they can no longer refuse the claim because you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted and didnt tell them ...............etc etc

I think this covers your worries
Its a trick............get an Axe
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

My council garage is at the bottom of a street. I give my insurance the post code of the nearest house which is only feet away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith

Return to “THE PUB”