Two miles for 54 feet

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Fried Egg Sandwich

Two miles for 54 feet

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

This is not a rant at lorry drivers, it's a rant at selfishness.
On the way to work this morning on the two lane section of the M42 on the GS in a flow of traffic moving at an indicated 70 mph, the flow was suddenly brought to a crawl by a selfish git in front of the car in front of me. He signalled and pulled out into no gap. He couldn't have cared less that traffic was overtaking him.
I understand that lorrys have to overtake slower lorrys, indeed that is the way of all vehicular traffic. However he was going so slow that it took him over 2 miles on my odometer to make the maneuver.

Now for it's me on a bike not such an issue making up the lost time, but the poor buggers in the cars trying to get to work were suddenly thrust into a other motorway snarl up and for what...54 foot over a two mile section. To extrapolate this; given that there are 5280 feet in a mile. Over ten miles he has gained 270 feet on that lorry he overtook, and saved himself only 16.42 seconds over 10 miles, whilst everyone else's journey takes 20% longer for each section where he performs these overtakes - longer for those at the back due to the concertina effect - this sort of behaviour fouls it all up for everyone.

I'm not saying stop lorrys overtaking, what I am saying is that some lorry drivers need to have a bit more sense and help the traffic flow. 16.42 seconds every 10 miles us not going to make that much difference to a lorry drivers day, but can cause real problems by slowing up other road users and extending their commutes by up to 20%.

It's in the highway code, "consideration for other road users".
Rant over
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
ratass

Re: Two miles for 54 feet

Post by ratass »

Well said that man.
Jon
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

simply answer un govern the lorries

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

Redmurty wrote:simply answer un govern the lorries

cheers Spud ;)
That won't cure selfishness...
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
coyotedave

Post by coyotedave »

It is a problem. How to work it is not for me to say, but I do have opinions.

Limit HGV to one lane only on the motorway at peak travel times.
On duel carriageways limit to inside lane only at peak travel times.

Put some of the haulage back onto the railways if it's to travel large distances.

The ferry company's have stopped routes because of the green tax on them, surely with more traffic on our roads the exhaust emissions must out way the green tax.

This is going to upset the HGV drivers amongst us who are delivering our daly goods.
Now that we have internet shopping this has surly had a big impacted on the congestion on our roads.

Cheers Dave.
special one

Post by special one »

I had it last week Dan when I went over to Loughborough to pick up my ktm, a lorry tried to undertake me as I was in slower moving traffic behind another lorry, then when I closed the gap so he couldn't, he pulled out on the car behind, I looked in my mirrors then once it opened up and it was two lorries side by side for ages, it took about 10 miles before any cars caught me up and my van is limited to 70.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
special one

Post by special one »

coyotedave wrote:It is a problem. How to work it is not for me to say, but I do have opinions.

Limit HGV to one lane only on the motorway at peak travel times.
On duel carriageways limit to inside lane only at peak travel times.

Put some of the haulage back onto the railways if it's to travel large distances.

The ferry company's have stopped routes because of the green tax on them, surely with more traffic on our roads the exhaust emissions must out way the green tax.

This is going to upset the HGV drivers amongst us who are delivering our daly goods.
Now that we have internet shopping this has surly had a big impacted on the congestion on our roads.

Cheers Dave.
They already do that on the m42 between junction 10-12 at peak times, half the lorries don't give a shit about it.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

This is a frequent subject for debate on the Trucknet Uk forum.

The Highway Code actually states that if you are being overtaken you should if necessary slow to let the vehicle passing you pass.

The M42 was built on the cheap, along with the A42...they don't have enough lanes for the traffic that they carry. There is a lane 2 lorry ban on some of it

http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/Permane ... story.html

However, these overtaking bans are not without their problems...think how many people join motorways by simply pulling into lane one off the slip and expecting those already in lane one to go into lane 2 while they dither about. They may find themselves getting a healthy shove from a 44-tonne truck...like the infamous case on the A1M a few years ago in which a woman pulled out in front of a tanker and got propelled up the road for some distance.

The truck driver was cleared of all blame for that, by the way. Indeed the Traffic Commissioner praised him for his cool thinking in shoving the car safely over to the hard shoulder.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Fried Egg Sandwich wrote:
Redmurty wrote:simply answer un govern the lorries

cheers Spud ;)
That won't cure selfishness...
No nothing will cure that

Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
chico

Post by chico »

not sure if i'm right, ive wondered about these truck overtakes many times , (and not defending selfishness)....but don't lorry drivers struggle with the tacho times.......if they go over their limits.....this would sometimes explain their behaviour....they could find themselves 30 miles from home , but have to stop or go over their limits

Return to “THE PUB”