Scottish referendum (this is the PUB !! )

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Old Git Ray

Scottish referendum (this is the PUB !! )

Post by Old Git Ray »

This is the pub forum and with only 3 weeks to go.....

Following the recent debate between Darling and Salmond where as far as I could see, neither answered a question properly, I have a few questions that inmates may know the answers to, or at least debate over.

Oh, and please do not let it disolve into the farce we witnessesed on TV.

Before I pose them, I must say that I am English with both a Scottish mother and a Scottish wife and we spend about 1/5th of our time in Scotland. I do not want the UK to break up.

1)My wife has a passport that states she was born in Scotland. When (if ?) the new Scott’s passport agency is formed, will she have to apply to them for Scottish citizenship as presumably her passport will be invalid ? (She has a UK passport but will no longer be a UK citizem by birth)
2)Will people born in Scotland have the right to work in the UK (at least until Scotland joins the EU) – my wife included. She currently has the right of abode in the UK but will that still be the same with devolution.
3)Regarding the Armed Forces. I was a soldier for a large portion of my life and enjoyed the company of Scott’s, Welsh and Irish as brothers in arms. If Salmond wins, how will he set up his Army ? Will he drag all the Scottish born soldiers back (assuming they want to go back) and also kick out all the others so he has an army of Scott’s to defend Scotland?
4)Will Salmond set up his own diplomatic corps and send embassy staff to posts around the rest of the world to drag Scott’s asses out of jail for lost passports etc ?
5) Why, when Norway is used as an example of independance, has no one ever mentioned the unbelieveable cost of goods and taxes in Norway? Any ADV types who have been there will vouch for that.
Please discuss....
Allan F

Re: Scottish referendum (this is the PUB !! )

Post by Allan F »

I' m both Scottish & British & live in Scotland. I'm for staying as we are.
Better with the devil you know ! Anyway the majority of politicians are there for there own gain. They are all tarred with the same brush as far as I'm cornered.
CLC = cheats liars & cnuts !
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I've asked similar questions of the Yes campaign and the Scottish 'Government'

Their answer is it is to be decided.
So, for an uncertain future under the control of a bar-room loudmouth who can't answer a single question straight..vote YES!

:evil:
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

1)My wife has a passport that states she was born in Scotland. When (if ?) the new Scott’s passport agency is formed, will she have to apply to them for Scottish citizenship as presumably her passport will be invalid ? (She has a UK passport but will no longer be a UK citizem by birth) She will have the right to apply for Scottish citizenship, but will not loose her British citizenship. Essentially she'll get dual nationality if she wants it. My son would get triple nationality as he's already dual British/French
2)Will people born in Scotland have the right to work in the UK (at least until Scotland joins the EU) – my wife included. She currently has the right of abode in the UK but will that still be the same with devolution. Not applicable, they will still be British citizens
3)Regarding the Armed Forces. I was a soldier for a large portion of my life and enjoyed the company of Scott’s, Welsh and Irish as brothers in arms. If Salmond wins, how will he set up his Army ? Will he drag all the Scottish born soldiers back (assuming they want to go back) and also kick out all the others so he has an army of Scott’s to defend Scotland? Who knows, lets hope he never gets the chance.
4)Will Salmond set up his own diplomatic corps and send embassy staff to posts around the rest of the world to drag Scott’s asses out of jail for lost passports etc ? Who knows, lets hope he never gets the chance.
5) Why, when Norway is used as an example of independance, has no one ever mentioned the unbelieveable cost of goods and taxes in Norway? Any ADV types who have been there will vouch for that. Because that wouldn't meet the SNP's agenda. I knew of a senior scottish civil servant that worked for Salmond a few years ago now. He handed a Salmond a report on environmental/conservational issues, which Salmond read, then gave back to him and stated, "Never ever again, hand me a report that does not support the SNP's political agenda"
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

1-this will be a bureaucratic pain issuing new documents. costing the tax payer north and south plus wasted 100's of millions on new it systems and admin

2-possibly not as they will not be eu member state citizens. costing the tax payer north and south plus wasted 100's of millions on new it systems and admin

3-they will need to set up a scottish defence force and haggle over having a few infantry regiments and the odd canoe from the navy. costing the tax payer north and south plus wasted 100,s of millions on new it systems and admin

4-yes he said he will already do this. costing the tax payer north and south plus wasted 100's of millions on new it systems and admin

5-because Salmond and crew already their retirement fund in place ready to put contracts and admin to multi nationals in return for a hefty sum

Cynical - yes
Does anyone actually think they are in this for anyone other than themselves?

I view them all as lying oxygen thieves north and south of the border - anyone who wants to be a career politician should be excluded on those grounds alone.
When nothing is going right - go left
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

-Ralph- wrote: 2)Will people born in Scotland have the right to work in the UK (at least until Scotland joins the EU) – my wife included. She currently has the right of abode in the UK but will that still be the same with devolution. Not applicable, they will still be British citizens
Are you sure? I looked up British Citizenship and found this was one of the questions:

2 Were you born in the UK or a qualifying territory?

The qualifying territories are all the British overseas territories, except the sovereign base areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia (in Cyprus).

If Scotland breaks away, who is to say what status it will have ??
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Old Git Ray wrote:
-Ralph- wrote: 2)Will people born in Scotland have the right to work in the UK (at least until Scotland joins the EU) – my wife included. She currently has the right of abode in the UK but will that still be the same with devolution. Not applicable, they will still be British citizens
Are you sure? I looked up British Citizenship and found this was one of the questions:

2 Were you born in the UK or a qualifying territory?

The qualifying territories are all the British overseas territories, except the sovereign base areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia (in Cyprus).

If Scotland breaks away, who is to say what status it will have ??
At the time when they were born Scotland was part of the UK, so therefore they were born within the UK. The British government isn't going to start stripping people who have lived within the UK all their lives of their citizenship.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

I can see the whole escapade turning into
"Passport to Pimlico"

:(
When nothing is going right - go left
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

-Ralph- wrote:At the time when they were born it was part of the UK. The British government isn't going to start stripping people who have lived within the UK all their lives of their citizenship.
That makes sense (which was in short supply during the debates), I wonder if the UK will bring in any working restrictions for Scots in the future. Perhaps out of spite for not wanting to be in team UK.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Old Git Ray wrote:I wonder if the UK will bring in any working restrictions for Scots in the future. Perhaps out of spite for not wanting to be in team UK.
The British government doesnt want any of this, I think they'd take the higher ground, welcome Scottish people with open arms, and say "we wish your country had never left". It's the best way to make the SNP look stupid and themselves look better.

Return to “THE PUB”