British Values

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Elle

British Values

Post by Elle »

Apparently Cameron wants 'British Values' to be taught in schools.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cons ... -in-school

Considering Britain is a multi-cultural society & with many 'foreign' senior figures in business, science and education, it's a bit patronising to imply that good behaviour is specific to Britain & there's nothing 'British' in the list of values proposed.

Why don't we simply teach Humanistic values?
[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]9tpL1K8ZqrU[/video]
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
peterekins

Re: British Values

Post by peterekins »

I thought the same thing, to say British values is probable the most racist thing a politition has said since Enoch Powle. It sugests British values are better than any other values, the dick.
Teach children to value other people and their enviroment, I dont mean enviroment in a green way but the world they share, then there might not be as much greed in the world. But then that wouldn't be the Torrie way. :kiss:
special one

Post by special one »

I think it's a good thing tbh, it's obviously an indirect response to the Brum schools being taken over by radicalised Muslims.
If we are multi cultural these days then that's even more of a reason to teach our traditional values because foreigners won't know them.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
bowber

Post by bowber »

special one wrote: If we are multi cultural these days then that's even more of a reason to teach our traditional values because foreigners won't know them.
There not "foreigners". Most of them are 2nd or 3rd generation and were born in the UK and their parents were too.

I don't agree with the extremists teaching their hate of western society but all children have a right to be taught their cultural background.

Going back in history it was the UK that invaded and stripped the resources of the various countries that now make up the population of our society

Steve
moto al

Post by moto al »

Thank god we have a chance to get oot the mad house on the 28th of sept. Al glasgow
image_2014-08-10-7.jpg
image_2014-08-10-7.jpg (45.13 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
moto al
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

peterekins wrote:I thought the same thing, to say British values is probable the most racist thing a politition has said since Enoch Powle. It sugests British values are better than any other values, the dick.
Teach children to value other people and their enviroment, I dont mean enviroment in a green way but the world they share, then there might not be as much greed in the world. But then that wouldn't be the Torrie way. :kiss:
No, racism card is played far to easily and far too quickly, for too little reasoning.

He said what British values are, he didn't say they were any different, or any better than any other country, and he didn't say anything negative about any other country.

That isn't racist.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I agree with Cameron, but it's 40 years too late. Unbelievably the British are still (just about) seen by the majority of the world as honest, fair, trustworthy and cultured. It isn't a crime to be proud of your country's past glories and achievements and its certainly not racism. Homebred individuals as well as immigrants could benefit from learning a few "British Values"
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

I agree with Special One, if people are going to live in this country they should live by our standards. When we go to other countries we are expected to abide by their rules and their cultures. In certain countries you'll be arrested for drinking alcohol, the fact your British and your culture allows it is no excuse.

The way people behave is entirely down to their education, so if we want people to behave in a certain way in our country then we have to teach that in our country.

We are far too weak about this. A petition got enough signatures recently that parliament had to discuss introducing another public holiday for Diwali, so that Hindu's could take time off work to celebrate. What a load of nonsense, are there public holidays in India to allow Christians to celebrate religious events?

All of the values listed don't exist sufficiently in some cultures for that culture to integrate properly into British life

democracy - obvious that many immigrants to the UK do not come from a democratic culture
the rule of law - most immigrants to the UK come from countries that do not legislate as heavily, or the law exists but ignoring the law is the norm
individual liberty - many immigrants come from countries that do not allow the liberties we allow, especially when it comes to women
Mutual respect - refer again to the position of women in some cultures. Things such as Arranged Marriage and Female Genital Mutilation are occurring in this country on a daily basis
Tolerance of different faiths and beliefs - we could all do with being taught this in school, not just immigrants

Good move D of E
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
special one

Post by special one »

bowber wrote:
special one wrote: If we are multi cultural these days then that's even more of a reason to teach our traditional values because foreigners won't know them.
There not "foreigners". Most of them are 2nd or 3rd generation and were born in the UK and their parents were too.

I don't agree with the extremists teaching their hate of western society but all children have a right to be taught their cultural background.

Going back in history it was the UK that invaded and stripped the resources of the various countries that now make up the population of our society

Steve
Actually that's not true, especially in Brum, some areas that used to be predominantly Asian have been replaced by Eastern European, so it's impossible for that to be true.
Since 1997 when the uk borders were relaxed, the influx of foreigners has meant schools have a high proportion of foreign children, it's also impossible for them mostly to be 2nd and 3rd generation uk born, if that was the case the ratio would be even higher.

Also, stop playing the race card (not aimed at you Steve), it's not racist to want a country to maintain their core values, the exact same scenario wouldn't be allowed if the roles were reversed, every country have their ways and would react strongly if outsiders came to their country and wanted to change them, and we are no different.

Just because we have multiple cultures in this country doesn't mean we have to adapt our own to suit them, they should, IMO, adopt the values of the country they reside in, if they like their own values so much and don't want to adopt ours then I'd suggest they return to their country.

That's why integration will struggle to work, it's human nature to live how you know, so if you moved to a new country, you'll feel safer in a community of fellow countrymen, so there will always be that them and us, it's world wide too not just here, so unless foreigners/migrants/immigrants do adopt our values and become 'British like' I can't see integration ever working.

If anyone thinks my views are racist then I'd suggest you wake up to the real world, I take everybody I meet as I find them, whatever their colour or race, if they are dicks I'll think they are dicks, race doesn't come in to it.

For the record, the rain is making me miserable hence the cheerful post :angry:
Current bikes...

special one

Post by special one »

moto al wrote:Thank god we have a chance to get oot the mad house on the 28th of sept. Al glasgow
image_2014-08-10-7.jpg
Good riddance (thumbs)
Current bikes...

Return to “THE PUB”