La tour.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
coyotedave

La tour.

Post by coyotedave »

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching the first stage of the tour on TV. I finished night shift this morning so was unable to go and see the start from Leeds.
It's great to see the tour on roads I no so well, Was up there with JB on Monday.

I'll be watching all of the tour as I do every year. Would love to go to the French alps and ride some of the famous tour roads, One day.

Cheers Dave.
Billy Bananahead

Re: La tour.

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Watching le tour on the telly is the best place to see it.
It came past where we were staying in France a couple of years ago and so we thought we'd go and watch.
Blink and you miss it.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

coyotedave wrote:Would love to go to the French alps and ride some of the famous tour roads, One day.

Cheers Dave.
Well worth a visit.
Did it last year when the campervans were assembling on the colls a week before the event.
Superb riding, high temperatures & steep climbs / ascents.
Worth all the riding it takes to get there & back.
Great to watch on TV, shame about the team politics but that's just how serious an event it is.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Elle

Post by Elle »

I drove to Scott Hall Road at 8.30am expecting traffic queues but no one was there so I parked for free on the roadside. Got a fantastic spot, enjoyed the caravan & support crews go past then 10 minutes before the riders arrived security staff appeared - to ensure we stayed off the road which hadn't been an issue for the previous 2 hours!
We had the tallest, fattest security guard in the line!
At the last second, when the riders arrived, this guy stood directly in front of my sister and I. Several spectators asked him to move along but he ignored us. It was too late to move & 20 seconds later the riders had passed. Wasn't happy :angry:
Nevertheless, it was a great atmosphere, also watching the remainder of the race on TV now.

Nice n Quiet before folk arrived
DSCN1081a.jpg
DSCN1081a.jpg (73.59 KiB) Viewed 852 times
The support caravan was fun to see
DSCN1089a.jpg
DSCN1089a.jpg (77.21 KiB) Viewed 852 times
A minute before the riders appeared (note where security man is stood)
DSCN1105a.jpg
DSCN1105a.jpg (79.36 KiB) Viewed 852 times
Then just as they arrive, I see this
DSCN1110a.jpg
DSCN1110a.jpg (65.4 KiB) Viewed 852 times
Missed the first batch of riders but managed to capture this
DSCN1111a.jpg
DSCN1111a.jpg (101.49 KiB) Viewed 852 times
What an amazing day it must be to see this event from the beautiful Dales :)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
coyotedave

Post by coyotedave »

Great pics Elle. Glad you managed to get to see the riders, Well almost, :):).

Cheers Dave.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Great event, especially once they get into them there mountains. BTW, your heading should read Le Tour, as La Tour just means The Tower. The French masculine / feminine thing.
shed

Post by shed »

Watching it now on tv in overcast south devon , road and scenery Yorkshire looks amazing,
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Had a great day today, all very relaxed in West Tanfield and a great atmosphere

Watching Stage 1 on a massive screen was ace, like whooshing through all the Dales roads I know so well, in a computer game sorta way

French Gendarmes on their bikes - FJR1300's were fab

Even bumped into Prince Harry in the beer tent and shook his hand, nice bloke (thumbs)

Going to watch the Cote de Blubberhouses in the morning, I feel like catching the ferry next week and heading off to the Alps to follow Le Tour

A truly awesome experience
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Elle

Post by Elle »

johnnyboxer wrote:Had a great day today, all very relaxed in West Tanfield and a great atmosphere
Going to watch the Cote de Blubberhouses in the morning, I feel like catching the ferry nest week and heading off to the Alps to follow Le Tour
I thought about Blubberhouses too - avoid the orange giants :)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

When the Tour came to Ireland my office was on the route as it came into Cork City.

Closed the office for the day and invited clients to come in and bring their kids.

We watched it on television in the office until it came up close, we had chairs set up at the side of the street. It was all over in 2 minutes. Then back to the television to see the finish.

Also saw it in France a few times, most recent was in 2008 and we were staying in a village that was seeing it two days in a row. Due to the large numbers of cars etc we cycled along a canal tow path up to the village and got ourselves a nice spot. This was real television, all the support crew. How did we know when it was coming? Helicopters, like wasps, rush into position over the bend coming into the village to get the best footage. All over in 3 minutes. Roads opened in 15 minutes.

Another year we were in Bordeaux in a shopping centre when nit passed by, they closed the road outside for just half an hour.

But its worth seeing. To see the cycling you need to watch it on television, or compete!!
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles

Return to “THE PUB”