A Ride Out Goes Horrifically Wrong

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
londonwelsh

Re: A Ride Out Goes Horrifically Wrong

Post by londonwelsh »

:S Probably to early to play the blame game, will await developments. Unfortunately it won't help our cause as riders with the notoriously anti biker policing in N Wales [ at least from the head honcho]. But people are raising legitmate points about the problems of group riding if you are not in tune with each others style / ability - have literally seen people fixate and follow straight to the scene of the accident.
Tonydurham

Post by Tonydurham »

This kind of accident is why I prefer to ride alone or maybe onto 2-3 other bikes.I have ridden with groups before and you get the better riders blasting off and the weaker riders sometimes taking crazy overtakes to try and keep up.RIP to those killed but before we start laying the blame on bikers or car driver,lets wait for the Police investigation.
ysbytymike

Post by ysbytymike »

Not talking about this incident as it can only be speculation until the official findings but (Butterfly Bikers,
come out in the sunshine and go back into hibernation come the colder weather) are the reason I no longer go to the West End Cafe in Llandovery.
They jump on their bikes and expect their reactions and road conditions to be exactly the same as the year before! Used to listen to them proclaiming quite loudly how they got it up to 140 on some section of the road between Abergavenny and the West End.
How much of that was bravado, I have no idea but usually these people were in their middle years and not youngsters. Or someone would be bragging about some vast amount of money being spent on a gizzmo that would give them another few horse power, where their clearly not capable of using the current set-up to its maximum capacity.

These are public roads not race circuits and as such have all the hazards to be found on a public road including blind bends, opposing traffic, spillages, debris, roadkill, farm machinery, mud, animal droppings, etc, etc, the list is endless.

All year bikers don't need to be told. Their there year after year having their cuppa's whilst the butterfly crowd get smaller and smaller.

As has been mentioned,this problem affects us 'all' and the public's perception of bikers in general, so as a biker since the seventies, feel I have the right to make these comments.
Growing old is inevitable - Growing up is optional
XF650

Post by XF650 »

jonny955 wrote:...as soon as the sun comes out, the Power-Rangers get on their wailing screaming 4 cylinder sportsbikes and rag the bollocks off them around here....all you have to do is follow them through a series of bends and you end up having to brake before running up behind them. Come the straight road and off they go again..
Jon
+1 to that, we have the same problem here in Buxton and at the Cat n Fiddle road. Every weekend, almost without fail, the ambulances are going out to yet another accident, mostly bike. I avoid that road on weekends but weekdays much quieter. (thumbs)

Re riding with groups, I tend to be a loner unless I know/trust someone very well and egos are left at home but even that doesn't always work! :dry:
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Was driving that way in a van coming back from trail riding near Dolgellau yesterday. Now I know why the A5104 was close at 3pm.

Very sad. RIP
bimota

Post by bimota »

ysbytymike wrote:Not talking about this incident as it can only be speculation until the official findings but (Butterfly Bikers,
come out in the sunshine and go back into hibernation come the colder weather) are the reason I no longer go to the West End Cafe in Llandovery.
They jump on their bikes and expect their reactions and road conditions to be exactly the same as the year before! Used to listen to them proclaiming quite loudly how they got it up to 140 on some section of the road between Abergavenny and the West End.
How much of that was bravado, I have no idea but usually these people were in their middle years and not youngsters. Or someone would be bragging about some vast amount of money being spent on a gizzmo that would give them another few horse power, where their clearly not capable of using the current set-up to its maximum capacity.

These are public roads not race circuits and as such have all the hazards to be found on a public road including blind bends, opposing traffic, spillages, debris, roadkill, farm machinery, mud, animal droppings, etc, etc, the list is endless.

All year bikers don't need to be told. Their there year after year having their cuppa's whilst the butterfly crowd get smaller and smaller.

As has been mentioned,this problem affects us 'all' and the public's perception of bikers in general, so as a biker since the seventies, feel I have the right to make these comments.
+1 on your write up, that area is mine to and the speed the power rangers come up and down the A40 is a joke.
Arthur Pint Motor

Post by Arthur Pint Motor »

Always sad and concerning to read this type of report.

The NY police have quite a good guide (I am sure many on here don't need this):
http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/CHt ... d=7179&p=0

When the weather is nice there seems to be an increase in the number of car drivers who use all the road on country lanes, but are only alert for cars coming the other way.
There should also be a finger amputation policy for texting whilst driving.
Rob 110

Post by Rob 110 »

9 out of 10 the riders in bike accidents in Wales are non-residents of the principality.

I live on the Mid Wales borders and hear them too, it used to be A44, but the 50mph limit on much of the Worcs/Herefordshire section has moved them onto other smaller A and B roads.

It amazes me how many riders don't use headlamps, especially when many of the roads are darker due to tree canopy.

Rural car drivers are less used to looking for bikes, as perhaps they are in cities.
Mid Wales Trails offroad tour guide: Barmouth, Llangollen, Dolgellau, Rhayader, Llandovery, Monmouth, Shropshire.

PM for details or click: SweetLamb Adventure Bike Academy

https://imgur.com/ZTqhFlL
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Heard on the radion on the way home that one of the bike fatalities was a local man who lived in Pennyffordd
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

I know the road well it is a fast road with bikes going to the ponderosa and towards Corwen,
It's a very sad day for the bike riders families
heres a bit more news
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ls-7200070
If your not the lead dog the view never change's

Return to “THE PUB”