Mike's last ride..................

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson

Re: Mike's last ride..................

Post by Richard Simpson »

The maximum legal driving time for truck drivers is four-and-a-half hours, which must be followed by a 45 minute minimum break or a daily/weekly rest period.

The four-and-a-half hours isn't time in the driving seat, it's time when controlling a moving vehicle, so stop-start driving can extend the time spent in the seat.

I do worry about people who push their limits of endurance when riding a bike...some time ago I decided not to do the MCC 'ride all night' trials because I didn't think I would be particularly safe doing them. I did the Lands End Trial many years ago as a passenger in a Tri-King and loved it, but my decision-making got worse as the event wore on.

My decision regarding my own capabilities, and everyone is different so I'm not anti the MCC events at all.
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

R.I.P. Good video!

Probably tiredness was a major factor here as said in the film, but the fact he was a second rider behind his son - I would also take this as something what could have been a factor here as well.

As they were overtaking, first rider overtook three cars in one go and then the second rider wanted to do the same, overtake asap and catch up with 1st rider, just not to stay to far behind ?! However, he didnt manged to overtake all three cars just two, then tried to overtake the third one....

TBH I caught myself doing this few times when riding with my mates and trust me sometimes you just dont think (not the same as you'd do riding solo) you just want to overtake and catch up with riders in front.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Bugger :(

Brave and wise words from a caring son

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I usually only ride for about two hours and then look for somewhere to stop off for a coffee and something to eat, as the wife says "two hour feeds".

There must be some optimum time for stopping, I wonder what it is.

There is an optimum time and it varies from person to person. It is very important to learn your own and also to recognise when drowsiness or failing judgement is setting in. It is even more important then to take whatever action is needed and refresh yourself before the body slows down.

I now know where and when my time for stopping is coming up. On the bike I will use a petrol stop to also refuel the body. Walkabout, drink, food, a long enough stop to rest. I keep a bottle of coke in the fairing pocket so I can stop in the middle of nowhere. I also found the K allows me to lie back against the topbox and close the eyes for an hour or two. I remain convinced the maximum time is two hours and will always have places in my mind at that sort of timezone. If you are doing a long trip you need to stop before the body makes you. Pace yourself, decent stops, rests and so on.

I have been very lucky too in the guys I go out with think the same and stops and rests are never an issue, just planned into the day as places to see, eat, refuel or whatever.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
multiman

Post by multiman »

Very sad and moving story - RIP Mike .... :(

My own rule is a maximum ride of 2 hours on 'normal' roads reduced to no more than 75-90 minutes if I'm up in the mountains.

Keeping fed and watered is crucial to concentration and I always leave time for a food break if on tour. These days I normally wear a Camelbak if I'm on a long journey.

Take care everybody

MM
big al

Post by big al »

Very very sad indeed. But very wise words.
f17th

Post by f17th »

Must have been very hard to make that.

Thoughts go out to the family of Mike.
bowber

Post by bowber »

All very true and more so the older I get, I definitely need more rest stops now than when I was a lad.

Steve
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

very sobering video and has made me reflect on some of the times I have pushed myself to go further when riding. My thoughts and condolences go to the family.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

This is an impressive video and shows something that I have advocated for a long time. We all need to think about how we ride and be critical enough and honest enough to find our bad habits and weaknesses.

I have ridden when tired and I made a silly mistake....now I stop for a rest.

The other day I went into a left handed too fast and backed off the gas..but forgot I was riding an old shaft drive bike...so the thing sat upright...again I got scared.

Like many I goy sloppy with my lifesaver and mirror checks...but I'm not anymore...I had to train myself to do it and now it's second nature.

So come on folks let's look at all of our mistakes on the road and put them right.

Let's not need any more videos like this....as moving as it is.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts

Return to “THE PUB”