Aggro Topics

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
herman

Re: Aggro Topics

Post by herman »

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/ Feel your pain there. A days work is £200 not two hous
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
HAMMERHEAD

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

Elle wrote:Jobs-Worth British Gas engineer.
Within 5 minutes my blood pressure was raised.
Then later, because I declined his offer to charge me £80 for 30 minutes; £200 for up to 2 hours and then £400 for any work over 2 hours, he capped the meter rather than just turning the gas off :angry:

Had to take a day off work just so I could locate another engineer but after several hours of trawling the internet I haven't found a single person! Either the number no longer exists or I get an answer machine or the person is too busy!
I'm so fed up. Thought I'd go for a ride to cheer up, then realised my bike boots are behind a dismantled kitchen way out of reach! :(
Sounds about right for British Gas, RIP OFF merchants. However if they weren't soo expensive I probably wouldn't get much work. :whistle:
In all fairness to the guy tho, if he categorised the fault as I.D (immediately dangerous) then in your health and safety best interest he had to cap it off, anyone can turn the meter back on. Your problem is identifying if it was I.D or A.R (at risk) in which case he could only advise you and get you to sign a disclaimer.
sad thing is... you know gotta pay someone regardless. Hope you find someone close by. Phone book or pop into your local plumbase, plumb centre, dougfields etc.. they give you a good list.
Elle

Post by Elle »

That's where I looked. Most numbers invalid - a couple of guys said they were no longer gas registered so I guess it's a register that relies on the engineer to keep it up to date... :whistle:
HAMMERHEAD wrote: In all fairness to the guy tho, if he categorised the fault as I.D (immediately dangerous) then in your health and safety best interest he had to cap it off, anyone can turn the meter back on. Your problem is identifying if it was I.D or A.R (at risk) in which case he could only advise you and get you to sign a disclaimer.
sad thing is... you know gotta pay someone regardless. Hope you find someone close by. Phone book or pop into your local plumbase, plumb centre, dougfields etc.. they give you a good list.
Yes, he was kinda doing the right thing but he didn't have to be such an arse.
Finally found someone who will come to reconnect the gas cooker when refitted & then retest the whole system. But good tip to look in the shops (thumbs)

The day ended well as I managed to grab my boots so had an hour out on the bike (thumbs)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
herman

Post by herman »

If the cooker was a bayonet fitting he did not need to cap just twist the fitting off? Some kitchen fitters are qualified to connect appliances. Sounds like gas safe is going the way Corgi did...take the fees and do bugger all else. :(
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
chico

Post by chico »

its an awkward situation, I let my electrical registration go last year (don't do it anymore) the problem arises when you go to do a simple job for someone, then notice that something is dangerous.....you are required by regulations to make it safe one way or another...once you've seen the fault the onus is on you, either the customer pays for repairs of you have to turn it off.....as you say, its a pita, makes it stressful for both parties too.....but in the end its what has to be done :(
HAMMERHEAD

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

herman wrote:If the cooker was a bayonet fitting he did not need to cap just twist the fitting off? Some kitchen fitters are qualified to connect appliances. Sounds like gas safe is going the way Corgi did...take the fees and do bugger all else. :(
YEPPY DO DAH.. AGREE, and its FAR FAR worse now... the reason we charge so high now, .. maybe needs another thread???
ELLE i sincerely hope it was a tad more than that tho??? if it was the cooker what was the problem??? was it the fitting's?? i.e flexi pipe and chain with a free standing cooker / or ridgid piping with shut off valve with inset cooker?? Reason I ask is that this all seems rather extreme.. if it was any of the above, regardless of the reason it would not cost you anymore than that £80 tops ( inc fittings, unless xtra pipework).. dont get stung by a callout charge ... make sure thats included.. (thumbs)
Elle

Post by Elle »

HAMMERHEAD wrote: ELLE i sincerely hope it was a tad more than that tho??? if it was the cooker what was the problem??? was it the fitting's?? i.e flexi pipe and chain with a free standing cooker / or ridgid piping with shut off valve with inset cooker?? Reason I ask is that this all seems rather extreme.. if it was any of the above, regardless of the reason it would not cost you anymore than that £80 tops ( inc fittings, unless xtra pipework).. dont get stung by a callout charge ... make sure thats included.. (thumbs)
Want a job? the prearranged gas engineer didn't show up as agreed & after waiting an extra 2 hours, I gave him a call:
"Is that Liam?"
"yeah"
"It's Elaine, just wondering if you're still showing up to fit the cooker today"
the line went dead

In answer to your question - there was nothing wrong with the cooker - it was removed to have major kitchen work. The cooker had been removed for 10 days at the point when I smelled gas. So called B.Gas for my own safety. They found a 4 millibar leak hence capping the meter.

My big issue with the B.Gas man is that he refused to step inside the house until I gave him a parking permit - Leeds CC only allow me to have 1 visitor at a time & the visitor pass was with my builder. He was immediately argumentative about not having a pass. You can park across the road permit free but he refused to move his van. He really p'd me off.

The gas problem, is I'm sure, related to the gas cooker being removed & the building work. Since the cupboards were being reinstated today I wanted it reconnected by a professional gas engineer and have the leak levels checked again.

It's a game of snakes and ladders and I've just found the slide :(
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Elle wrote:......The gas problem, is I'm sure, related to the gas cooker being removed & the building work. Since the cupboards were being reinstated today I wanted it reconnected by a professional gas engineer and have the leak levels checked again.....
Elle ... for you safety ....

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/about/ ... neers.aspx

Construction industry ... a minefield for the unwary :(
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

The Wilbur wrote:I object to people objecting to BMW GSs, cos not all of them have sticky out engines and brocken shaft drives :evil:
Yea but if they don't have sticky out engines then they're not "propper GS's"............according to one of your GSA riders.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
HAMMERHEAD

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

Elle wrote:
HAMMERHEAD wrote: ELLE i sincerely hope it was a tad more than that tho??? if it was the cooker what was the problem??? was it the fitting's?? i.e flexi pipe and chain with a free standing cooker / or ridgid piping with shut off valve with inset cooker?? Reason I ask is that this all seems rather extreme.. if it was any of the above, regardless of the reason it would not cost you anymore than that £80 tops ( inc fittings, unless xtra pipework).. dont get stung by a callout charge ... make sure thats included.. (thumbs)
Want a job? the prearranged gas engineer didn't show up as agreed & after waiting an extra 2 hours, I gave him a call:
"Is that Liam?"
"yeah"
"It's Elaine, just wondering if you're still showing up to fit the cooker today"
the line went dead

In answer to your question - there was nothing wrong with the cooker - it was removed to have major kitchen work. The cooker had been removed for 10 days at the point when I smelled gas. So called B.Gas for my own safety. They found a 4 millibar leak hence capping the meter.

My big issue with the B.Gas man is that he refused to step inside the house until I gave him a parking permit - Leeds CC only allow me to have 1 visitor at a time & the visitor pass was with my builder. He was immediately argumentative about not having a pass. You can park across the road permit free but he refused to move his van. He really p'd me off.

The gas problem, is I'm sure, related to the gas cooker being removed & the building work. Since the cupboards were being reinstated today I wanted it reconnected by a professional gas engineer and have the leak levels checked again.

It's a game of snakes and ladders and I've just found the slide :(
If I was closer I would pop over ( I AM GAS SAFE) but Im under the impression your quite a Tad further north than me (mid glam).
Sounds like the builder may have damaged a joint or nicked a hole in the pipework somewhere. Surely he would/should sort that out at HIS cost??
hope you get it sorted, nowt worse than living off take aways and microwaved food.
the BG guy was a total dick. Id complain to BG and G.S about it.

Return to “THE PUB”