Sorry, but I just don't get it - please explain

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mosel Bikes

Sorry, but I just don't get it - please explain

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Just spent a few minutes looking at the 'suitable tyres for DRZ in the mud' type thread, with lots of pictures like this one and also generally aware that everyone seems to have fun in the mud - except me! So what the hell is the attraction? seriously? My forays into the gloop are characterised by:

- the bike gets absolutely cacked, requiring me to spend at least two hours cleaning it afterwards (might only have been out for an hour!)

- most likely time to fall off and when you do, it's a pain, not a pleasure, to remount and get going, even worse if you have to push your way out. You spend more time off the bike than on and can't 'take in the views'.

- when I do fall off, I get covered in gloop, making the ride on uncomfortable and again requiring time afterwards to clean all my togs

- the bike requires far more maintenance thereafter to all the moving parts
I'd like for someone to point out the equal number of 'pleasures and rich experiences' I seem to be missing out on. Feel free to illustrate with images!

- with trips further afield it's even worse. people seem to get pleasure from the trials and tribulations that are the African jungles or the Russian bogs. WHY? Why on earth would someone choose this over the drier dramatic places like parts of the Americas or similar?
mud.jpg
mud.jpg (54.17 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
mud.jpg
Attachments
mud.jpg
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Mosel Bikes

Re: Sorry, but I just don't get it - please explain

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Oh, please tell me I'm not alone in this? I suspect not.It is true of course that the first step to off road riding is the toughest ...... accepting that your bike is going to get mucky and scratched (especially if you've come from a sports bike background, like I have)
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

that's because neither you nor I are 'adventurous' (thumbs) regarding the muddy stuff.... it's probably a laugh with a bunch of mates I would imagine?

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

It's the sense of achievement afterwards
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

I love it

Farleigh castle 2008

IMG_35021808042761-1.jpg
IMG_35021808042761-1.jpg (236.63 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
coyotedave

Post by coyotedave »

No Mike it's just not you, I hate been stuck in mud.

I'd much rather take the bike on Forrest trails or gravel trails.

Cheers Dave.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I sometimes enjoy the challenge of mud riding, but i never enjoy the challenge of bike cleaning.
That explains why my KTM is in the shed still covered in mud from the midlands rally. :blush:
suzivstrom650

Post by suzivstrom650 »

I,ve often found wherever that muddy rain drenched swamp trail leads, usually has a road there as well. :whistle:
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

If I were on a bike like that (nice,large and expensive looking) in mud like that I'd hate it too!
But on a light enduro bike with the right tyres it's huge fun :)

Getting it right is hugely rewarding and fun, while the consequences of getting it wrong usually less severe on you're body and pocket than when on the road.

But only my opinion, and rarely right so I'm told ;) ;)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

No I also hate mud because it's a total pain to clean the bike, the kit and resulting mess before then carrying out the repairs.
Probably why my Berg has been used once in 12 months and that was on rocky stuff in the Isle of Man.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “THE PUB”