Stargazing

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
peterekins

Stargazing

Post by peterekins »

Was watching this srargazing programme last night, and it got me wondering about learning to navigate by the stars, like the old folk used too. Must be a usefull skill one day. :dry:
Billy Bananahead

Re: Stargazing

Post by Billy Bananahead »

:laugh: Only available on a clear night.
Andy5520

Post by Andy5520 »

peterekins wrote:.... about learning to navigate by the stars, :dry:
Left at Paul Weller, straight through the next X Factor winner, right at Jim Davidson... :pinch:
Big J

Post by Big J »

lol :laugh:
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

During the day you can use an analogue watch to give a rough North /South line,with the watch flat point the hour hand in the direction of the Sun then sub divide the angle between the hour hand and twelve, this will be approx South, reverse poles for Southern hemisphere. At night find the Plough and use the two stars furthest from the "handle " which point to the North star.But you need to know where you are before you can navigate to where you want to be.
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

You can kind of bastardise your own sextant with 3 x pencils and rubber bands to hold it together in a triangle.
You then use 'it' to determine what angle above the horizon the Polar Star is. 90 degrees (right above your head) and you're at the North Pole, 45 degrees and you're on the 45 degree parallel (level with French/Spanish border (Pyrenees). This method as you have probably figured out, works out your rough Latitude (the lines around the globe parallel with the equator - North and South).
To determine your longitude (East and West) is done through dead reckoning. You'll need a compass to determine what direction you're travelling in, know the speed you are travelling at and then work out the distance travelled since your last check....

So to summarise;

1. Determine how far north of the equator you are (if in the Southern Hemisphere you'll need to use the Southern Cross - easiest to see with the naked eye if south of the equator) by using your sextant (!).

2. Working out how far you've travelled longitudinally (east or west) by your speed divided by the time travelled (since last check), will give you the distance travelled.

3. Using the compass I'm sure you all carry (along with rubber bands, 3 x pencils and a map showing Lat and Long!) you can plot your rough position.

The key is to know your starting point and to check Nav often. Keep an eye on the direction (easier in open ground) and of course what speed you are traveling at.

If this is all too much of a faff, turn your gps on ;)
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
Andy A

Post by Andy A »

I learnt years ago for sailing, last year I decided to use my sextant to navigate across the atlantic and remembered why I don't bother anymore and now embrace technology :laugh: :laugh:
montanna all the way for me (thumbs)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Andy A wrote:I learnt years ago for sailing, last year I decided to use my sextant to navigate across the atlantic and remembered why I don't bother anymore and now embrace technology :laugh: :laugh:
Hi Andy, I though you just closed your eyes and stop when you bump into something big, like America. Well, that's the way you rode your GS, anyway at least according to soon-to-be-Mrs-Andy :evil:

Regs

Simon
PS I am only joking :laugh:
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Andy A

Post by Andy A »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
Andy A wrote:I learnt years ago for sailing, last year I decided to use my sextant to navigate across the atlantic and remembered why I don't bother anymore and now embrace technology :laugh: :laugh:
Hi Andy, I though you just closed your eyes and stop when you bump into something big, like America. Well, that's the way you rode your GS, anyway at least according to soon-to-be-Mrs-Andy :evil:

Regs

Simon
PS I am only joking :laugh:
HAHA Thanks Simon, Looks like I am not the only one who bumps into things ;) :whistle: (thumbs)
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG (76.41 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
I hope you are well
Andy
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

Have a look here The Natural Navigator

The book is lovely read too :-)

Return to “THE PUB”