What Do You Look For In An Adventure Bike?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mr Dean

Re: What Do You Look For In An Adventure Bike?

Post by Mr Dean »

Jim Lovell wrote:Just pondering really, but what do you look for when choosing an adventure bike?
Obviously cost would be first for most of us, but what do you really what and why?
Because everybody has different requirements for the machine they choose, Height, weight etc, and would you compromise on some things for the sake of others?
Well jim to me its a big question, depends on what individual adventure you seek, I think most adventures can be sort on most if not all bikes and i'm sure its all been done before from C90's to scooters just because they could. hats off to those that get out and just do it! (if you can) I supose I want more adventure and less drama some might want it the other way around for a challenge.
:blink:

I think Budget is a big key B) I always compromise (well on the whole) for the sake of SWMBO :whistle: hell I have to under the radar farkel ;)

For me I would like to have the utility swiss army bikes (or as said a all rounder a little of all capabilities not solely a purpose) I think if its solo or pillion the choice could sway. I like others have seen small guys and girls on big bikes and vice versa.

An adventure is defined as an exciting or unusual experience; it may also be a bold, usually risky undertaking, with an uncertain outcome.

I guess the bike is personal choice or compromise depending on personal factors.:dry: but "ADVENTURE" can be had on all :) :) :)
I like it here [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm enjoying the BMW F800GS :-) (The Grey one) B) :-)

ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Mr Dean wrote: An adventure is defined as an exciting or unusual experience; it may also be a bold, usually risky undertaking, with an uncertain outcome.
I'm sure many of us have had 'adventures' whilst trying to work out what we're really looking for; many of mine I would'nt want to repeat (breaking down on a 35 year old BSA in the middle of nowhere at 3am - and it's snowing) but you can't buy adventure in a packet so you have to make it up yourself and the recipe's different for everyone.
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

ChasF wrote:
Mr Dean wrote: An adventure is defined as an exciting or unusual experience; it may also be a bold, usually risky undertaking, with an uncertain outcome.
I'm sure many of us have had 'adventures' whilst trying to work out what we're really looking for; many of mine I would'nt want to repeat (breaking down on a 35 year old BSA in the middle of nowhere at 3am - and it's snowing) but you can't buy adventure in a packet so you have to make it up yourself and the recipe's different for everyone.
Very well put.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

Goodies, lots of shiny add on , rugged, shiny, expensive, preferably electronic, shiny, goodies - exactly everything you can't get for a TDM 900 !
Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

I do agree an adventure is not to do with the type of machine, as its an adventure in its self.

And yes, i have toured on a C90 but only round Corfu where i picked up a nasty case of Corfu Rash. ( i can here your smutty minds clicking :laugh: ) I was returning to my boat in Gouvia marina and i happened to be looking the wrong direction, i hit an anchor chain coiled on the dock side and threw the C90 named (SWAMP MONSTER) down the dock side. No helmet on, jeans and t-shirt being the only thing between me and Corfu gravel :( .
Well if not embarrased enough already, a male friend picked me up took me to the marina toilets where i lowered my trousers, he knelt in front of me to tend my wounded knees.
and right on que in comes an angry, homophobic, Greek man. Bloody great end to a nice days ride in the sun.:blush:

Back on topic

I met a chap in Feb on a Harley MT500 whilst i was camping in Cornwall and he loved it. He was talking about a trip across France, Spain and Morocco.

Its also often the case of not what you ride but how you ride it. :)
Real men ride twins ;-)
GB

Post by GB »

Strange that no-one has mentioned the 800GS :unsure: 600s to small and 1200s to big, the 800 is bang in the middle, bound to have decent off road capabilities and enough go to clock the tarmac miles up? Anyway getting back to the subject, I don't own a car, I commute 30odd miles everyday, like to scratch on a sunday chasing power rangers,tour a bit in europe,and wanted a bike for all weathers. Also wanted something to try some very light trails on, so I ended up with a 1200GS. Commutes great, handles great, finish seems good, off road,,,,,,,,,,we'll find out on Saturday :)
Finally back on a GS :D
scrambled eggs

Post by scrambled eggs »

was just about to memtion the 800 gs and you beat me to it, just not sure about its off road capability on the type of tracks we have in our country might be a little bit to heavy?apart from that pretty much there

really a bike for all occasions is really what you need

big 800cc + for mile munchin whilst the occasional tracks could be riden
single 600cc + for adventure day`s out trail ridin slippery lanes, and rocky fireroads
Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

I think the gs800 is a great bike, its had some good press. Although a friend had one and just traded it for an xtz660 after a recent Morocco trip, not sure why as i not seen him yet. must have been a valid reason.
Next time i see him i should be able to give you his opinion.
Real men ride twins ;-)
Paul Neate

Post by Paul Neate »

scrambled eggs wrote:was just about to memtion the 800 gs and you beat me to it, just not sure about its off road capability on the type of tracks we have in our country might be a little bit to heavy?apart from that pretty much there.
The 800GS is remarkably capable of handling some really rough terrain -- some of the tracks, hill climbs and descents they had us doing down in Wales were fearsome. But, oddly, everyone who tried the 1200s found them easier to ride over the rough stuff -- lower first gear, less twitchy throttle, lower centre of gravity. Me, I'll stick with the 800. It ticks all the boxes for me.
Mr Dean

Post by Mr Dean »

Sorry to mention the C90 Jim :) you must get terrible flash backs! I thought for one min you was going to say george michael walked in!!! :laugh: :lol:

Experience is a huge thing that you can not buy, im just a puppy but enjoying the learning :) :) :) riding, reading, talking, thinking about the next farkel (or the one on the shelf) and the next trip each time I add and venture forward :) after back to bike (after 27 years) in 08 so I look down at my Miles accumulated and thats my experience, but I'm a happy puppy and enjoy reading all your posts :) :)

back to topic: B)

I know of a guy who loves to ride Morroco a lot (beleive he is writing a book on morroco) but keeps his 660 tenere in a lock up there thats his bike of choice for doing his thing. I think they look awesome.

the modern 800,s are great all rounders the GS is a great bike I know of a guy with an 08 model thats aproaching 60K miles and it looks fantastic :cheer: and now the tiger and tiger XC and farkel companies galore at the ready :) :) :)

the 1200gs Torque is outstanding if swmbo was into bike and would sit on the back, triple black for me mr bank manager B) dribble. dribble (but I know in the real world hell will freeze over first :pinch: )

I like the old and new either farkeled or original, I often wonder if a company will ever break open an old mould and tweak it what I mean is like triumprh have the new bonny and scrambler etc and kawasaki W800 and not forgetting the legendary royal enfield, my brother inlaw has a 10 plate bonny I draws attention and some think its a real oldie!

how about for instance re launching the Africa twin slightly tweaked with a 1000 cc I think it would sell well. ?! but would want it looking remarkably like the originals!

:woohoo:
I like it here [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm enjoying the BMW F800GS :-) (The Grey one) B) :-)

Return to “THE PUB”