What Do You Look For In An Adventure Bike?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Jim Lovell

What Do You Look For In An Adventure Bike?

Post by Jim Lovell »

Just pondering really, but what do you look for when choosing an adventure bike?
Obviously cost would be first for most of us, but what do you really what and why?
Because everybody has different requirements for the machine they choose, Height, weight etc, and would you compromise on some things for the sake of others?
Real men ride twins ;-)
davsato

Re: What Do You Look For In An Adventure Bike?

Post by davsato »

i can tell you what im not interested in;
a £10K+ pricetag
canbus
variable valves
electronic everything
250kg+ weight
doesnt come with easy luggage fixture points (actual luggage choice is too personal for a manufacturer to decide)
>20ltr tank
it wont run properly without o2 sensor/catalyser or with aftermarket exhausts (to use gash petrol)

this is why, when its time for a change, im either going to be downsizing to something like a 660tenere which isnt fast enough for me, or more likely not be an adv bike at all.
Dave
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

scotland 005_2011-04-02.JPG
scotland 005_2011-04-02.JPG (79.47 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
My last bike was the original Hinkley Speed triple loved that bike but I was not using it as much as I should of due to two rug rats so it got sold and I nearly cried. So the nippers are a few years older and I never got over the loss of the bike so time for a new one, I was now in my late forties and sat on a few sports reps then sports tourers but the Mrs hated the pillion seats on all of them so.....
Duel sports/adventure bikes or what ever you want to call them OR a Gold Wing she really like the seat on the "wing" but all I kept on thinking was "sh.t I'm not that ferkin old" so that left the BMer and the Tiger I had already had a boxer twin for years so the engine was all good for me I had triple engines so that was all good so which one?
I booked a test ride with BM for 4pm on a saturday as I had to work till 3. I admit I was a little late as I could not find the damn showroom. The head sales man would not entertain a test ride as I was late, I told him that I only wanted to go a few mile down the road and back just to see if the bike fitted. He still refused and even started to put on his bike gear as I was talking to him ? I again explained I had cash on hip and was prepare to pay cash for the bike there and then after a test ride. He took 15 minutes trying to get me to book another test ride which I refused as I deemed we had time to do it there and then. I walked to the other end of the show room to look at another bike after saying "give your self a minute to think about my test ride" the guy picked his helmet up and walk off. I walked to my car saying to a second salesman I was discusted and was going to Triumph. I walked in the Triumph showroom the following Tuesday afternoon spoke to the owner and asked for a deal, I had well in access of £500 worth of kit and work done to the bike and numerous goodies thrown in and I paid for the Tiger in cash and walked out, went back the following weekend and picked the bike up and never looked back... so the moral of this long story is...
when I spend a considerable amount of my hard earned cash on a bike I want...
1. a reasonable price
2. decent service
3. comfort both for me and pillion
4. good range
5. a decent engine that will engage
6. good visability (height)
7. farkles
8. a decent chasis
9. reasonable economy (55 ish on the Tiger)
I want all the above and a open road (some sunshine would help)
Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

First and foremost, i want reliability. I cant be doing with bikes that are unreliable.
Second.... is decent power and comfort for the long distace riding i do to my rallies and touring.
Third... good load carrying capacity.
And forth.... is good fuel consumption.

These requirements was what made me buy the Wee Strom.

2 wheeled tourist

Post by 2 wheeled tourist »

The first thing I look for on any bike is the size of the fuel tank and how long its range is. As, I think, that it’s becoming the norm to place smaller tanks on bikes, style over function I believe.

It’s not so much what I look for in an adventure bike but which adventure bike I’d prefer. As I’m slightly biased toward Yamaha’s Ténéré. The Honda XL is a great bike and so is the 750 Super Ténéré http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=750+su ... 23&bih=900 too.

Just as long as it has a large tank, tall screen, good suspension, comfy seat and healthy storage for some tools and in good condition then I’m fine. The add-ons will come later…
Hey! I'm a tourist. And that's how I like it.
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

well iam a large lad so i need a large bike , so it needs to carry me, and all my kit , and not fail when iam miles from anywhere ,good on petrol and good price ,hence dl650 Image
africajim

Post by africajim »

Well, it's a long story but hey, I've had a dram and plenty of time to set a spell!

I first seen the word "Adventure" on the side panel of a Honda XRV750 Africa Twin, an RD04 for officianardo's! I decided I had to have one, it brought back great memories from my motocross younger days. After sportsbikes it was a refreshing change, the seating position was comfy, the bars high for pulling back on for wheelies, the long swing arm made control offroad sliding very good.
I found the bike an excellent all rounder, I could chase sportsbikes on tar, I could use it for commuting, load it up for camping trips all over Europe, I could bungee my fly rod on the back and head for the hills to lochs not fished for years! I fell in love with the bike, it did everything I needed in a motorcycle. I fololowed it with four others, RD07 and RD07a's.
Over the years I've tried several others due to changes in circumstances, the Mighty Varadero being my current ride, a cracking bike, does everything I need. Honda's largest adventure bike to date.
I have a Triumph Tiger 800XC on order at the moment as Fiona is taking her Ickle GS quite a lot now and two up's not so important so I'm hoping the Ickle Tiger will be the replacement for my beloved Africa Twin, the holy grail in my mind.
So, to round it up, an adventure bike in my eyes is a bike you can use for anything, it may not be focussed at anything, just has to be capable of everything. A road bike can't take me fishing, an offroad bike won't cruise on the autobahns, little bikes won't take the luggage and occasional two up. The Mighty Varadero is a great bike, I stand by my statement that they are the best value for money two up tourer/adventurer bike on the market today. I am hoping the new Triumph Tiger 800XC will be the next step forward in adventure motorcycle, no offence to other marques as there are plenty others out there that fit the bill, just personal preference. Pick yours and enjoy!
Here's a couple!

Tiger_2011-04-03.jpg
Tiger_2011-04-03.jpg (265.12 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Vara.jpg
Vara.jpg (412.81 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
92 model in Scotland.JPG
92 model in Scotland.JPG (12.03 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Long-distances in relative comfort over whatever kind of road / terrain I might find myself on whilst carrying everything I need to camp when I get there. Not bothered about going fast, just so long as it's quick enough to overtake Sunday drivers and slow-moving traffic – I'm happy to leave the tarmac-tearing to the weekend Power Rangers

Went with the Tenere as it fitted all the criteria – light enough to pick up when I drop it, great tank range, good off-road, good on-road (so long as it's not motorways or long periods at 75+), can carry the kitchen sink quite happily and doesn't cost the earth to buy / insure / maintain. Comfy enough if I add a bit of old sheep to the equation.
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

If you mean adventure as in off-road adventure then anything reliable with wire wheels that you can put proper off-roady tyres on. Tyres make a HUGE difference.
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

The perfect adventure bike is the top of the pyramid, down one side of the pyramid you have bikes with less and less adventure capability until you arrive at the bottom which is the full blown Gold Wing type tourer. On the opposite side you have bikes with less and less road going potential until at the bottom you have a full blown enduro race bike. The other 2 faces are the same thing with the baseline being a fireblade on one side and a fully dressed HD on the other. So which bike is the nearest to the peak of the pyramid? Well for me on the tourer side it would be the KTM 990 adventure and on the dirt bike side it would be the KTM 690 Enduro. I have a 690E and a R100GS. I think the R100GS is only just behind the KTM 990 simply because it's a bit long in the tooth.

The spot on top of the pyramid has yet to be occupied

Return to “THE PUB”