5 things no-one told you about becoming a biker

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
-Ralph-

Re: 5 things no-one told you about becoming a biker

Post by -Ralph- »

I didn't know I'd spend all my coffee breaks, lunchtimes, and evenings when the telly's crap, talking to a bunch of strangers on the internet. :)
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Elle

Post by Elle »

nobody told me how much fun I would have on my own
nobody told me how great other bikers are
nobody told me how much you could feel and smell the weather
nobody told me how alive I would feel when I've nailed that corner or trail
nobody told me how much I would hate going work [strike]on a sunny day[/strike] because I'd rather be riding my bike B)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Dratsie

Post by Dratsie »

Yes to all of these.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

+1 for the insect - summer 1978-ish, leaving Monmouth on my epic run of the entire A40 on my Laverda 750 SF2. Get up into second after the town centre - probably got a by-pass now! - gun it to 60 some, shift into third and nod visor down, just as bumble bee . . . . Oh how we laughed :evil:

Didn't gets tung but did cop a wassup last week on my eyelid just walking out of te frint door - own fault for having grape vines there :silly:

So - back to A&E for third time this year steroids and got knows what else and my week's riding totally blown as I couldn't get the skid-lid on for the swelling. Bike now in hibernation while I'm stuck in the evil city - dammit dammit dammit :evil:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
MR X

Post by MR X »

[quote="

Didn't gets tung but did cop a wassup last week on my eyelid just walking out of te frint door - own fault for having grape vines there :silly:

So - back to A&E for third time this year steroids and got knows what else and my week's riding totally blown as I couldn't get the skid-lid on for the swelling. Bike now in hibernation while I'm stuck in the evil city - dammit dammit dammit :evil:

Regs

Simon[/quote]

As An ex teacher I believe you may have had One bear to many

what's (tung ) and what's ( frint door ) Being some one that just works to ride bikes and can not read and write , Please spell shit right :whistle:
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

MR X wrote: As An ex teacher I believe you may have had One bear to many

what's (tung ) and what's ( frint door ) Being some one that just works to ride bikes and can not read and write , Please spell shit right :whistle:
If you are going to be picky...it's "someone" :whistle: :whistle:
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
appleby

Post by appleby »

As An ex teacher I believe you may have had One bear to many

what's (tung ) and what's ( frint door ) Being some one that just works to ride bikes and can not read and write , Please spell shit right :whistle:[/quote]

Were these bears the big Grizzly kind or the cuddly wuddly Koala's?

1/10 No effort!
chubbyhooker

Post by chubbyhooker »

Godspeed wrote:
sledgegreen wrote:
Mike101 wrote:Nobody told me about neededing a magnify glass to go to the loo after a long ride in the cold and wet.

Mike

You forgot about the forceps, Mike.

The thing that nobody told me is that I can complete a three hour journey without the slightest hint of the need to visit a toilet. 10 seconds after reaching my destination, I get the 2-minute warning and there is then a mad panic to find house keys, get into house and remove umpteen layers of clothing before disaster strikes.
I couldn't quite make it inside once when I got caught short and ended up spraying the front garden. I've no idea what the neighbours thought I was doing :)

That's what waterproof boots are for, so it does'nt overflow onto the front door mat
Devonboy

Post by Devonboy »

RichW wrote:
SteveW wrote: I do however nod at everyone, especially learners, I like them to feel included. Just because I ride a GSA and they are on a Chinese 125 on L plates does not in anyway mean I am more of a biker than them.

^^^^^This. They are the future. Before i got my XT660 i rode a scooter to work, i still do infact to give it a run out occasionally - i've also got a GSX-R750 which again i'll occasionally use for the work run. On the gixxer i'll get nodded at 80% of the time, on the scooter 0.8% of the time. All wrong and i cannot understand the mentality of fellow bikers when i comes to this :dry:
I nod to all bikers even when driving the cage :laugh:
gibbo1974

Post by gibbo1974 »

No one told me about the addiction...

I started out on bikes in the UK about 15 years ago and seriously only intended to pass my test and buy a ZX6R Ninja as I fell in love with the styling.

I really didn't intend to go any further with them, I wanted it to go to work on for a few years. I thought I'd be ok.

15 years on and probably 10+ bikes later and I can't kick the habit.

When I had kids I tried to get off them and clean myself up but that only lasted until one summers day when a group of bikes shot past me when I was stuck in traffic.

I fell off that wagon pretty easy I tell you...

There should be a group for this sort of thing.....

help.

Return to “THE PUB”