Maybe no more tax discs

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
johnnyboxer

Re: Maybe no more tax discs

Post by johnnyboxer »

picos mestizo wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:Gonna be cheaper for me :laugh:

Tax one bike (they're all BMWs) and just swap it's plate onto the other 2, when I take them out

ANPR only checks reg numbers and not chassis/VIN numbers

Sorted......legit

Luvvly jubbly :whistle:
Could be dodgy if you have an insurance claim, accident or theft.
It's also fraud if you get caught & a criminal offence.
Not very .....legit.
But I like it :whistle: (thumbs)

Stick one up the establishment but don't get caught.
Chances are pretty slim, unless you get an actual tug
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Elle wrote:This is great news. Renewed tax for my BM in September but the disc it's still in the kitchen. If stopped, I was planning to use the female and blonde excuse :blush:
It's still an offence not to display, until Oct 2014 :whistle:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

If you can pay monthly, does this mean you can buy one month at a time. That would be better for those of us with more than one vehicle.
jaz1259

Post by jaz1259 »

Id prefer it if they gor rid of excise duty altogether and just put extra tax on fuel then the people that use the roads most are paying for it.
bimota

Post by bimota »

Big Red wrote:If you can pay monthly, does this mean you can buy one month at a time. That would be better for those of us with more than one vehicle.
no basically
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Do not mind paying by credit card and not having to carry the tax disc, I only ever carry copies anyway as I run a paperless electronic system with everything stored remotely.
Having your bank details stored on yet another computer system is a no no.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Godspeed wrote:Typical, I've just bought a new tax disk holder.....
Now what else can I fit in that :dry:
You could relive the 70's and put a brown ale label in it.
chrisinflight

Post by chrisinflight »

+1 The timing sucks. Just bought a nice gold anodised disc holder for the drz. Lets see, photo frame, beer mat or for the rallies- pic of your bike in holder, worn as a pendant hanging with a camchain necklace. :P
2016 Beta 300rr- In the 2 stroke come-back club!

sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

As I understand things, it has long been held that the major reason for retaining the tax disc system was so that there was an annual check on MOT and insurance, with a visible indicator to police that those were in place (or at least, they had been in place at the time that the tax disc was obtained). It is a long time since the 'road tax' was actually dedicated to the road system (if it ever was).

George has said that there is no longer a need for the disc because Police now rely on national databases and ANPR cameras to detect tax-avoiders. Those systems are equally effective for detecting MOT and insurance avoiders, so why not now drop road tax altogether or transfer it to fuel tax? A few pence extra on each litre would mean that those of us who run more than one vehicle would pay in proportion to the mileage used. Those of us who choose to run 4x4s or other high-consumption vehicles would also pay for those indulgences.

The only valid argument which I can see against this is for the haulage industry, where this might mean that UK hauliers have a competitive disadvantage against continental hauliers. For these users, I would suggest that the cost of a commercial vehicle MOT should be increased to include a 'Road Tax' element, but it should include some form of discount card with each MOT - drivers could then use this discount card to buy fuel at a lower tax rate.

There might be other high mileage users who would be unfairly penalised by paying tax on fuel - there could be a similar discount card arrangement for them. They would then have the choice of buying the discount card (by monthly DD if desired) or of accepting extra tax on fuel.
moto al

Post by moto al »

Bril idea,cuts down admin,saves loads of dosh and we all benefit . Fantastic ? Al,ps off to visit the tooth fairy ,by by :laugh:
image_2013-12-05-11.jpg
image_2013-12-05-11.jpg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
moto al

Return to “THE PUB”