Which 4x4

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
beddowsm

Which 4x4

Post by beddowsm »

I'm after a 4x4 but not sure what to go for. I know there are loads out there with these vehicles, so opinions welcome please.

Here's my spec.....

As new as possible
Low miles, under 70k
Budget is £5,500
Big. Not interested in suv's such as freelanders, rav4, xrv etc etc
Good mpg

Ok, I know this is asking a lot. But what are my options.

Oh, and looked at a Mitsubishi shogun sport and thought it looked great.....but at 6 foot 5 it was very cramped behind the wheel. That's as far as my looking has got me so far.

I want it for a daily commute to work, throwing the dog in the back, and light green laning. (Well, light to start off with)
Mike54

Re: Which 4x4

Post by Mike54 »

what you want doesnt exist mike

if you want expert advice talk to Paul or Tom at west coast 4x4 in southport (they both do the rallies as well). They're mates so say you know me and they'll help you.

80 series landcruiser is ideal for the money. Bulletproof in terms of reliability, the manual rather than the auto, the 4.2 6 cyl diesel made from 94 to 98. Dont worry about the milage, one with up to 180 on the clock is fine, the engines are good for over 500,000 miles no problem. Probably the most capable offroad vehicle ever made (its the one the UN use) and one of the most comfortable and with the higest spec. VX has cruise as standard, aircon, elec and heated seats etc etc. Ignore the landrover lovers (sorry fellas) the defender or disco cannot touch the LC in terms of power, torque, reliability, resale value, you name it. I've had many defenders but only one landcruiser 80. Once you have one you never go back. You're pushing the budget a little at 5,5, 6,5 would get a fabulous one, 5,5 would get an ok one.

MPG wise youre looking around 28 real world

Brads

Post by Brads »

I run a Mitsi shogun sport, and I love it. Brilliant motor.

I bought it to replace my Pajero, which was equally brilliant, and much cheaper.

Just avoid Landrover.
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
IainD

Post by IainD »

If you want reliability then go Japanese, if you want a project for life then go Landrover.

They will all be up to the job, even a Freelander will go places you wouldn't expect; I have just passed on my 3.5l V6 LWB shogun for an old TD4 Freelander, purely down to the cost of fuel. When I bought a new one in 2002 LR did an off road course (on road tyres) amazed.....add off road tyres and a jack up kit and you will be fine for most situations. (it went for an outlander, seduced by the 2.4 VVT automatic, then it went for a TDI Vectra seduced by 50 plus MPG)

The best intro to 4x4 is to buy one without too many electronics / gizmo's just plain old locking diffs and chunky tyres, that's where the fun is: SWB - Defender, Pajero / Shogun or a pickup. Spend Half your budget on it and the other half on prep of suspension / tyres etc,oh and a winch!

Enjoy
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Cheers for the replies. Getting the vibe land rover discos are out. Shame as they look great and fit into my budget (just if I'm lucky).

Mike, like the look of the land cruisers, just didn't want anything that old or high mileage. Ill take a better look at them though as I disregarded originally due to cost, as you pointed out all in my budget are very old or too high mileage. I rented a land cruiser on Fraser Island in Australia, great machine, a few years ago. Went everywhere. But then. So did the land rover defender I had 2 years previous for the same job.
herman

Post by herman »

Avoid newer Isuzu, they look a bargain, drive well but are not robust, newer L200 the same and cramped. We had a disco which was fine got the VW now but the Toyota was top of our list.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
NDC.

Post by NDC. »

Mike. If your doing green lanes it wont be long and you will be doing things like Hollinsclough etc so would go for a short wheelbase. Long wheelbase are ok till you go over humps and get wedged on the top. Also stay Japanese as they are the most reliable, Land-rover will be no good for you. The AA wont pick your bike up, so you got no chance with a car :laugh: (thumbs)

You Tube Xtra Rough Road Channel

Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Buy a estate for the dog and work..4x4 wont get you to work if the roads are full of stranded vehicles...okay if you live in scotland etc..

Buy a Lada Cossack for the trails..excellent vehicle..people may laugh but they rock..also the older fiat panda 4x4..we used a suzuki sj 4x4 in West Africa great vehicle..
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

NDC. wrote:Mike. If your doing green lanes it wont be long and you will be doing things like Hollinsclough etc so would go for a short wheelbase. Long wheelbase are ok till you go over humps and get wedged on the top. Also stay Japanese as they are the most reliable, Land-rover will be no good for you. The AA wont pick your bike up, so you got no chance with a car :laugh: (thumbs)
Will be for soft laning only Nick. Will have the wife and kids with me (and dog) when I do it. So still looking a LWB. Want the space.

It will also be my only vehicle so I want one that does it all.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Suzuki Jimny :whistle:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “THE PUB”