Windy Weather ?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
redbikejohn

Re: Windy Weather ?

Post by redbikejohn »

Initially I was going to take the car this morning but when I went outside it didn't seem too bad so jumped on the tenere. Apart from a few branches down it was all OK - until filtering between miles of traffic on the A40. Two vans on the right and a gap, passed gap as a gust came and it was so strong it nearly pushed me into the car on my left! Looks like there was a truck/motorbike incident that caused the jam - hope he's OK?
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
corbine

Post by corbine »

looks like it could have been worse. although if you follow the link- northern ireland and northern uk looks like another biggy brewing for next weekend?
click left side below and look for 1st 2 and 3rd november and watch the isobar track loop through- coming in from west above ireland-currently a week away, so a bit guessable? right now..http://www.sat24.com/foreloop.aspx?type=2

theres actually a sliding scale on left side where the dates are , didnt notice it before, you can grab the dates with mouse and push up down in move the sequence yourself. cool :-)
nathanlee

Post by nathanlee »

I woke up yesterday morning on a campsite in Silverdale. Packed the bike up, and on my way back to Preston was listening to the forecast. Started to worry about my boat in Essex, so did an emergency run South to add extra warps (that's ropes, land lubbers).

Was windy all night, but nothing I haven't dealt with before. However, for 20-30 minutes at about 7am this morning it went mental. I really thought something was going to give.

One boat on the hard standing got blown over, another had a tree fall on it, and a couple in the marina have had their sails totally shredded.

Drama over now though, and we're back to a standard day in October... crap weather, trains not running, etc. Nothing to see here.
corbine

Post by corbine »

JUst when we thought it was over, news coming through of deaths in various parts of country. very sad. more carnage than first realised?
http://news.sky.com/story/1160557/storm ... ling-trees
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-24705814
nathanlee

Post by nathanlee »

From my 30 years on this planet, and perhaps 20 of being aware of "the news" I'm pretty sure I've seen a correlation in these big weather events. When we get exceptional storms that most people dismiss, there are localised areas that get absolutely battered, and more often than not, people do die. Only a few, but it's still bloody tragic for their kith and kin.

I've held back on the "lame storm" comments, and pictures of knocked over plant pots etc. I reckon if I were the father of the 17 year old girl who died, or a friend of the other three dead people, and I saw twitter and facebook full of people taking the piss over a "non-event" I'd be just a little wrenched.

Maybe I'm just being boring though. :)
corbine

Post by corbine »

Yep-well said Nathan.
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

Yes Nathan a little boring and a lot sanctamonious. The point of most of the piss taking is having a dig at the north/south divide that exists in this country.
nathanlee

Post by nathanlee »

Tourider wrote:Yes Nathan a little boring and a lot sanctamonious. The point of most of the piss taking is having a dig at the north/south divide that exists in this country.
I was born in Dorset, then lived in Cornwall, grew up for the most part in Lancashire, live there currently, work in both London and Shropshire, and spend a lot of time in Essex. Each to their own, but I don't see any divide. A warm welcome and sound folk at both ends and all in between. F*** me though, Wigan is an exception.

Anyway, point being that whenever we have relatively big weather, people do tend to die. It might not make the press every time, but fallen trees and weather related RTAs dispatch folk frequently.

I certainly didn't intend to be sanctimonious - I lack the qualification - but with this being a forum and all, I thought I'd throw my thoughts in to the mix.

Return to “THE PUB”